KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ecuyers, France. A bit northeast of Paris. Three days of riding, 6 sessions a day.

I booked this arrangement for the first week of August. I need to rent a van and drive there - about five hours - and sleep in the cabin. Going to bring a spare set of tyres and brake pads, a whole bunch of tools, and I'm gonna make several onboard videos. They won't be awesome because I am in all likelihood too slow for the footage to be exciting. But I'm going to bring the Gopro anyway.

Thrills will be had. Laughs will ensue. Memories will be made.

Needless to say this is going to be very exciting. I haven't done a multi-day trackday programme since 2013 when I went to the Lausitzring and hopelessly tried to keep up with Troy Corser on track. On the first day, in the first 10 seconds of the first briefing, he said ''Good morning everyone, please don't try to race me'' 馃ぃWhich I obviously ignored.

Although the mighty fast Corser won't be there this time, this is going to be the highlight of the year for me. Noise limits aren't as tight here as they are on more nearby racetracks. The Duke got kicked off last trackday in session 2 for sounding too awesome. That was mid '21.

It's been too long. The Beast isn't meant to be confined to the streets. It, and I are gagging for a proper handful of throttle.

Oh boy I can't wait.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
There will be more questions, but let me start off with the first.

How do you guys keep your key nearby in a one piece suit? It has an inner chest pocket but... rather not there. I guess it can be strapped to a frame beam in a fabric pouch or something. What are your solutions?

Registered

How do you guys keep your key nearby in a one piece suit? It has an inner chest pocket but... rather not there. I guess it can be strapped to a frame beam in a fabric pouch or something. What are your solutions?
Don鈥檛 take the key on track, start the bike and leave the key in the pits. The bike will keep running with 鈥渒ey not in range鈥. The only negative I can see is if you fall off and the engine stops, you can鈥檛 restart?

Alternatively safety wire the key to the handlebar Or mirror stem?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don鈥檛 take the key on track, start the bike and leave the key in the pits. The bike will keep running with 鈥渒ey not in range鈥. The only negative I can see is if you fall off and the engine stops, you can鈥檛 restart?
I think I'm just going to run with that with an alternative ready to go incase it fails. Thanks!

Registered

At the track, I place my key inside a soft shelled sunglass case and place it under the rear seat cowl. I use the spare key to open said cowl when needed.

Registered
Looks like it will be a tight circuit, especially on an SDR. But any day on track is a good day(y)

I hope you're right about them being more lenient on noise limits though.
They say bikes must be under 95dB as well as mentioning that GoPro's are prohibited.
Would be keen to see footage if they do allow you to film though.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I hope you're right about them being more lenient on noise limits though.
They say bikes must be under 95dB as well as mentioning that GoPro's are prohibited.
I gave the trackday company a call with that exact question and explained my noise situation. They said it'd be fine. I don't think I have much of a choice anyway - I sold the original catbox, so the linkpipe + OEM muffler is the only setup I have. On top of that, because I am in all likelihood going to be a complete noob on track the first day there won't be any full throttle for a while. Gotta get my cornering and body positioning right first. This track is nonstop corners with barely any straights to speak of. I intend to just go out there, learn a bit, have some fun. Not going to take risks setting big laptimes.

Looks interesting on video too. It's almost someone's private track tucked inside a field surrounded by forest.

Registered
Ah that's brilliant!
Mate, you'll be knackered after those three days but with a smile that will last for weeks no doubt.
Have an awesome time.

Can't help but think this track would be a hoot on my Triumph 765 RS.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think this would be awesome on a properly suspended 600 something. A torquey twin like the 890 or SV650. I think the 1290 R on this track is akin to smashing a speedboat through the canals of Amsterdam.

Registered
Menso, great video! Congrats on the lap time. It looks like great fun but even more so it looks like an incredible return on investment on yourself. 3 days sounds ideal for making massive improvements. At the end of the video you mentioned that you had some goals for improving your riding and I wanted to recommend Champ School. It is an online course. I can't rave about it enough. I've gotten incredible improvements in my riding from it and it's track focused! Seriously, no material or trackday has ever improved my riding as much as this course has. It's not even close. It's cheap too.

www.ridelikeachampion.com

The Sanitized Comic
Congrats Menso you did it! So many mean to get out there but never do.
Of all things we do while living, riding a motorcycle is near the top of my list. Now riding a motorcycle well, ... that's even better and you are better now than before.

BTW you should be nice to me or a copy of this video goes straight to your mum.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone!

This trip was particularly satisfying because it had been too long since I did a properly satisfying trackday, and also to go into an entirely new area and away from the oh so familiar roads around here. This felt like a vacation... minus the pool and cocktails. The fiancee stayed at home but that was a mistake. She'd have had a blast going here with me even if she didn't have a chance to ride (she won't ever ride... epilepsy). And I wanted to document the whole thing and make a video of it, so this will be a lot of fun to look back on ten years down the line.

Oh and for the record, my mum did make fun of me for not arranging a place to sleep. She also laughed at how typical this was for me (I have a long list of poorly prepared trips on my belt) and how I don't give a damn about it once I'm there :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts