KTM Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
995.......996...........997............998.............999..........................1000!!!!!!

Yeah!
It's run in and i can thrash it with impunity.

I rang the bike shop today and told them i was stoked.
just like my old 640sm but better in every way!

faster, smoother, lighter, quicker and yes, even more comfortable

like a mountainbike seat, you just have to harden up the right muscles

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
WOW! That post was over 3 years ago and I still love my SMC.

Over the time since then it has run 22,000km and has had the head ported, planed and a fresh set of rings while apart just because I could, It also had a huge pod air filter fitted and the full Ti Akra system.

The power difference between standard and now is massive!

One major issue though: DON'T buy the Ti Akra muffler for road use. It will rattle itself to pieces.
I went through 2 on my old 640SM and have now destroyed one on my SMC. Fine for racing but NOT for road use at over $900 each!

Recent mods: Fitted belly pan as I've decided to try a bit of adventure riding. Tyres are an issue on the 17" rims and if I like the ride; I might just invest in a set of Enduro 18/21" wheels.

I found a Pirelli MT60 for the front. It's a bit chunky and 'pushes' a bit on the road but I'm hoping it works good on gravel roads and farm tracks. It's a 110/90-17 and when fitted seems a lot bigger than the standard 120/70-17. In fact I measured its rolling circumference to recalibrate the speedo and it was 1940mm, only 70mm more than the standard tyres if you believe the manual. I sat a 120/70 agaisnt the front wheel with the MT60 on and the MT60 seems to be about 50mm taller (damn good thing on bumpy farm tracks I reckon).
Oh yeah, I got that tyre on an auction website for just NZ$10! It was brand new old stock.
I bought a Heidenau as well but will try that some other time.

For the rear I found a brand new Avon Distanzia for NZ$200 and that feels pretty good.

Overall, the tyres are not really a match but I'm hoping they will work off road. The rear is fine but the front doesnt inspire confidence on the road (and I have to ride around 800km just to get to the adventure ride!)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh yeah: I also fitted the Safari front mount tank. It's a pain in the arse fitting the seat with this on and it's butt ugly but the extra 14 litres of fuel is a god send

·
Premium Member
14,816 Posts
Glad you mention the Akra. I was tempted to spring for one on my 640 enduro a few months back. Something in the back of my head told me "$1100 US for an exhaust is crazy".:rolleyes:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yeah, the Akrapovich titanium muffler: DON'T buy it for a road bike!

On my 640SM it fractured wheRe the end cap is riveted to the body. I redrilledd the holes as the old ones were too badly broken to use again and riveted the tip back on. It lasted another few months and then split all the way down the body. The second one lasted about as long as the first.

I don't recall how many km I did before I sold the bike but think it was around 30,000. I bought the Ti Akrapovich some time after I bought the bike so each muffler probably ran 10,000 km before they shattered and were useless.

Yes, BTW, I repacked it a number of times.

On my 690smc it has lasted 20,000km: a lot better than on the 640 obviously because the vibrations are lower. However, same problem: it fractures and splits where the end cap is riveted to the body. I might be able to get a few more KM from it but the end cap is also broken (carbon) so I'd have to buy a new cap.

In New Zealand, the cost of this system is double that of others so It's a shame but more economical to throw the thing away, including the 2 piece header which is in good condition, rather than buy a new muffler just to have it break again.

I would not use a carbon muffler either and favour good old stainless steel.

I can't believe Akrapovich doesn't know about this but given the system is 'race only'; I also know I'd be wasting my time asking for a replacement after 2 years use.

Anyone out there used an after market header/muffler system for 20,000km or longer on a KTM single? I've refitted the std system and want to get rid of that anchor and the dangerous heat it has and replace with something strong and a bit lighter (but not max weight loss as per above).

The other thing to note is that the exhaust/muffler change added bugger all power to the bike. Most of the power was through the airbox mods, head work, raised compression etc. In fact I haven't noticed any power loss at all down low and mid range and barely notice any loss at the top end.

Perhaps an FMF with a 'bomb' in the header is a better option (in steel).

Bloody apple spellcheck, I hate it. Had to edit 5 times!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts