KTM Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 450 EXC(my first KTM) and when i shut the bike off to have a little rest/chat after a long climb and the thermo fan is running, it cuts off when the bike power shuts off but i want it to keep running to help cool it down while i rest.
Is that possible to have it stay running with the bike shut off without having a manual on/off switch?

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
I have a 2013 450 EXC(my first KTM) and when i shut the bike off to have a little rest/chat after a long climb and the thermo fan is running, it cuts off when the bike power shuts off but i want it to keep running to help cool it down while i rest.
Is that possible to have it stay running with the bike shut off without having a manual on/off switch?
You can wire the fan to an unwatched power source/circuit and it will allow fan to continue running after engine is shut off. Your running fan will not accomplish much cooling of your engine once it's shut off as your water pump is not running to circulate coolant through your radiator. Some bikes allow fan to run with ignition off, but fan is mostly cooling the radiator. If you really wanted to baby your bike maybe ride it around under light load or fast idle until fan cycles off. Or just stop worrying about it;). Your bike was designed for the conditions you are using it for and much worse. No need to baby it too much now. The time to baby and nurse a machine is when it's old and worn and tired.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
You can wire the fan to an unswitched power source/circuit and it will allow fan to continue running after engine is shut off. Your running fan will not accomplish much cooling of your engine once it's shut off as your water pump is not running to circulate coolant through your radiator. Some bikes allow fan to run with ignition off, but fan is mostly cooling the radiator. If you really wanted to baby your bike maybe ride it around under light load or fast idle until fan cycles off. Or just stop worrying about it;). Your bike was designed for the conditions you are using it for and much worse. No need to baby it too much now. The time to baby and nurse a machine is when it's old and worn and tired.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You can wire the fan to an unwatched power source/circuit and it will allow fan to continue running after engine is shut off. Your running fan will not accomplish much cooling of your engine once it's shut off as your water pump is not running to circulate coolant through your radiator. Some bikes allow fan to run with ignition off, but fan is mostly cooling the radiator. If you really wanted to baby your bike maybe ride it around under light load or fast idle until fan cycles off. Or just stop worrying about it;). Your bike was designed for the conditions you are using it for and much worse. No need to baby it too much now. The time to baby and nurse a machine is when it's old and worn and tired.
Makes sense, i just figured it would be better cooling the radiator than sitting there hot. I should just leave the bike running while it's on i guess.
Thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
2 Participants
Casting_Shadows
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing