KTM Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys - new here.

I'm in the position to change my piece of s**t Aprilia DD900 for another bike, and I really fancy an SDR 1290.

There's one in my local dealer, the 2015 model with a full service history, the full titanium Akra exhaust, and host of other cosmetic modifications. It has 5250 miles on the clock and my question is what should I look out for when I go to take a look at it, and would you guys recommend that particular model year?

Have any of you had any issues with the SDR that would put you off in future?

Also, don't ask why the Aprilia is awful, it would take me days to explain why a 6 month old bike I've had from new is garbage. Just know it's the worst bike I've ever owned (I used to have the 750 DD, which I loved).

Thanks, guys!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Sorry to hear about your Aprilia!
5200 miles for an SDR is a breeze. Almost new!
Check if the front suspension is not leaking. I bought my SDR new last year and a month after the shocks were leaking. I have about 3000 miles now and it goes like a house on fire. You will not regret!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry to hear about your Aprilia!
5200 miles for an SDR is a breeze. Almost new!
Check if the front suspension is not leaking. I bought my SDR new last year and a month after the shocks were leaking. I have about 3000 miles now and it goes like a house on fire. You will not regret!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you, Hood.

It honestly broke my heart, that Aprilia.

There seems to be a lot of mixed thoughts about KTMs at the moment and it's really making me nervous.

I've test ridden the newest bike (while my DD900 was being serviced) and it's the most ridiculous thing I've ever ridden (thought my Z1000 was fast).

Will be test riding this one, too. Hoping it's a good one.

·
Registered
81 Posts
A 2015 with 5k miles is not issue. I agree check front fork seals and a service history would be good. I had a 2015 and sold with 9k miles and no issues. I have a 2018 with no issues. I think the 2014’s had a few issues but gen 1 ( 2014 - 2016 ) have been reliable. Main difference on gen 2 is updated electronics.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I bought a new 2015 SDR in Nov 2018.....it was excess stock and so price was considerably reduced.
I have 6300km's on it and it it running like a dream.........I have had a warranty repair and that was a failed relay on the starter motor and I think I have slightly warped front rotars as I get a slight grabbing sound when pushing the bike, but nothing to worry me at this stage.
I love the bike as it is exciting to ride, has a fantastic gearbox and sounds great even with the stock exhaust...I have had 22 bikes ranging from Harleys to Triumphs and this is probably the second best bike just being beaten by the better handling Triumpoh Speed Triple R....the handling on my SDR is a little twitchy in uneven tight corners......I'm hoping to improve this when I change tyres from stock Dunlops.
The power of the bike is exhilarating and very controlable ...I expected it to be savage but it can be quite docile if needed.
You won't miss your Aprilia ...........

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought a new 2015 SDR in Nov 2018.....it was excess stock and so price was considerably reduced.
I have 6300km's on it and it it running like a dream.........I have had a warranty repair and that was a failed relay on the starter motor and I think I have slightly warped front rotars as I get a slight grabbing sound when pushing the bike, but nothing to worry me at this stage.
I love the bike as it is exciting to ride, has a fantastic gearbox and sounds great even with the stock exhaust...I have had 22 bikes ranging from Harleys to Triumphs and this is probably the second best bike just being beaten by the better handling Triumpoh Speed Triple R....the handling on my SDR is a little twitchy in uneven tight corners......I'm hoping to improve this when I change tyres from stock Dunlops.
The power of the bike is exhilarating and very controlable ...I expected it to be savage but it can be quite docile if needed.
Thank you! That sounds great - I'm really struggling to convince myself to get something else.

The only thing that I can think of that MIGHT make me change my mind is the 790 Duke, and I'm not convinced. It's so lacklustre in the looks department that it just doesn't set my pants on fire.

You won't miss your Aprilia ...........
Regarding the problems I've had with my Aprilia, at this point I'd take a 125 and wouldn't miss it. It is a piece of s**t. If anyone reads this and considers an Aprilia. Don't. Just don't. It's not worth it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I recently bought a 16 SDR with 11K miles and have since put another 1K on it and it is not only an AWESOME machine but runs and drives perfectly! These motors are solid and will go a LONG way. I think overall, the Gen 1's are inherently more reliable due to the basic electronics.....

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm sure the 790 is a good bike.......but it won't compare to the 1290......consider the looks, size, comfort, engine, brakes , acceleration and sound.
You know you want the 1290 so just take the plunge......what have you got to lose.
Failing that try the Triumph Speed Triple R........

·
Registered
744 Posts
Cheers all...... sure the 790 would be good...... it's lighter and the latest design....... but that 1290 motor is AWESOME! :grin2:

I know what you are saying about the Aprilia brand....... I had a Capnord 1200 TP for 2yrs and almost 40k kms and even though it was good to me, I couldn't imagine keeping it for 10yrs and huge kms like I have done with my Honda Blackbird 1100XX.......

Your only problem is deciding which 1290 suits you best....... the SDR, the SDGT or the SA Sport :laugh2:

I have the SDGT as I'm in need of the 400+km fuel range offered by the bigger tank and the luggage system for errr gentlemanly touring :wink2:

It makes 170hp at the crank, 150hp at the rear wheel...... compare that to the DD1200 which only put 105hp to the ground!

The brake rotors are Brembo and they will warp on all bikes using them....... some early 1290's had some issues but we are not super sure if they were quality control or owner induced or dealer/agent neglect. Anyway, they have been on the market for many years now and mechanics know them much better now than 4-5 years ago.

I'll never forget the unending screams of complaints about the Caponord on forum's...... KTM forum's are pretty quiet by comparison........ I'll never buy another Italian bike either....... :wink2:

PS Just read you are coming from a DD900/DD750 to the 1290...... you are going to be blown away by the amount of go on tap......... keep your wits about you....... they really do bend time and space at 9.5k rpms!

PPs That used bike should run perfectly..... KTM's fuel well, stop well, go hard, handle nice etc etc. If there are any rough areas that haven't been sorted, there are clever dongles or maps available now...... but even stock standard the SDR/GT is verybloodygood :clap:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers all...... sure the 790 would be good...... it's lighter and the latest design....... but that 1290 motor is AWESOME! :grin2:

PS Just read you are coming from a DD900/DD750 to the 1290...... you are going to be blown away by the amount of go on tap......... keep your wits about you....... they really do bend time and space at 9.5k rpms!:
Thanks for the reply - I actually bought the 790 over the 1290.

I test rode both for about 3 hours each - took them over some proper twisties and felt far more at home with the 790... and I'd decided I really didn't need the 170-odd bhp the 1290 had.

I'm not good enough to use everything the 790 offers, nevermind the 1290! :p

It would have been the 'R' that I had went for, though, had I gone for the 1290. I'm absolutely in love with the 790 though.

On the note of my DD, I actually had a 750 as my first big bike (that brought in my love affair). Got rid as it developed problems consistent with a bad previous owner (put 4.5 litres of oil in and blew all the seals).

It was my 900 I got rid of. It was 6 months old, as some context - it broke down 23 separate times, and 6 times in one trip (each fuel stop). Multiple intermittent electronics issues. Mainly with it's god awful immobiliser.

After two days of ownership of my 790, I am already far happier than I ever was with my Aprilia.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Cheers IBM93,

Great choice..... the 790 lacks for nothing and is the thinking man's bike..... lighter, but still quick, easier to find space in the garage :wink2:...... love my SDGT but it is a big bugger :laugh2:.

I didn't see first read.... did you buy the 790 duke or the 790 Adv R version?..... post a pic when able :grin2:

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers IBM93,

Great choice..... the 790 lacks for nothing and is the thinking man's bike..... lighter, but still quick, easier to find space in the garage :wink2:...... love my SDGT but it is a big bugger :laugh2:.

I didn't see first read.... did you buy the 790 duke or the 790 Adv R version?..... post a pic when able :grin2:
I bought the Duke. I couldn't justify the extra £2.5k the Adv R is in the UK, despite my preferring the more offroad look.

It's honestly the first bike I've enjoyed riding even while I've been running it in. It's a bloody hoot.

I'll post some pics once I get home from work! :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry guys, I had forgotten to post a pic earlier, my apologies! :p

It was a little wet when I went to pick up the bike, but here she is :) Second photo is from a bit of nicer day. Blighty can be a be... pants, when it comes to the weather

20mm higher ergo seat, pillion seat cover, bar end mirrors and the belly pan (which is crap and will probably be replaced by the powerbronze belly pan)

Attachments

·
Registered
744 Posts
Nice one...... I have seen a 790 at my local dealership with an akkra pipe on and it looks super hot :wink2:. No pressure.... :wink2:..... just something to save up for or splurge out on as a birthday present - the acc pipe takes away the somewhat fuller look of the standard zorst >:).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Nice one...... I have seen a 790 at my local dealership with an akkra pipe on and it looks super hot :wink2:. No pressure.... :wink2:..... just something to save up for or splurge out on as a birthday present - the acc pipe takes away the somewhat fuller look of the standard zorst >:).
Actually, I test rode a demo bike that had the akra slip on installed. The stock exhaust actually sounds better haha! :grin2:

It does look trick though, the stock exhaust is a bit... rudimentary.

That said, I wouldn't pay £750-ish for it. I'll probably decat it next - if anything, after I fit some better protection to the bike. Absolutely loving it though. Definitely made the right choice over the SDR, for me :smile2:

·
Registered
80 Posts
That's a sexy beast!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
9 Participants
Thumper1500
KTM Forums
KTM Forums is the forum community for dirt bike motorcycle enthusiasts covering the KTM Duke, Sport minicycles, Off-road bikes, KTM 1190 RC8 and all KTM Motorcycles.
Full Forum Listing