KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going everyone? I've had my '14 fz-09 now for about 7 years and 45k miles... The 1200RS came out and caught my eye so I've been kicking around the idea of FINALLY switching it up after about a decade...

After doing more and more research/reading I don't think the 1200RS will fit the bill of what it is I have grown to love about my fz09... Now that's where the SDR comes in. It sounds like it'll fit the bill PERFECTLY. More of what I love, but in a much more well rounded package. The engine is what has kept me on the 09 for so long, and I don't want to lose that heart and soul/character and I think the SDR will give me that ****eating grin more than the 09.

That being said I've just been doing my research on the differences/common issues between the diff generations and wanted to post here in case anyone had opinions to share that weren't already discussed on these boards. Will be reading more for sure, but I've got a test ride this saturday to really get a good feel for these machines. Beyond that... I just need to convince myself to part ways with the cash and find one to buy!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Oh the SDR has that ****eating grin factor in abundance. It's a bit scrappy in the suspension department but there are decent cartridge kits and/or progressive spring kits available for not much from reputable brands.

So yeah, it has a fun factor from here to the moon, but it's also real versatile. It can do commuting, touring, A to B blasting, twisty carving and trackdays quite well. It loves modifications and tuning. It looks badass from every angle and it certainly has that 'wow what the hell is that, that thing's awesome' going for it.

You'd be surprised just how good a bike it is in many different applications.

The cops will love your wheelies too for different reasons :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah suspension and comfort mods in general don't scare me (been doing that for years with the FZ lol)... but I can't change the character of the motor much so that's gotta be perfect. That and the electronics... I've never owned a bike with ABS... Let alone cruise and traction control lol.

I'm excited about it. I will say the vast majority of my riding is commuting and touring and I had heard these things were a good mix of wild and unruly vs comfortable on those chill days. I took the FZ on a 3,600 mile trip out across KS, CO, AZ, and UT last year so I'm really hoping that the SDR will be controllable enough to support those random ventures too... I don't have the space for an assortment of street, commuter, and cruisers so gotta have one i can manage it all with!

·
Registered
754 Posts
I've ridden both. Here's my take: A FZ's motor is like meth cut with clorox. A 1290 is pure uncut Columbian. Big torque is like big tits to men. We're drawn to it. It feels "right" in your gut. If you haven't tasted big torque be prepared to shocked and awed. Have fun, you're going to taste the top of the food chain!

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Big torque, big tits and a cold beer make the perfect day

1 - 5 of 5 Posts