1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
I run a K1600GTL since 4 years.
I'm highly motivated to change for a super adventure 1290 s 2019

I just learn that the quickshift and few other " app/software/mod" are an option. Does only the dealer can "install or unlock" those option?

Any other thing I should know

I went at a demo ride a try it.... Lucky me the bike I try have all the option install to tease me alright lol

Thanks in advance

Envoyé de mon SM-G950W en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Registered
793 Posts
G'day @stephan_sauve ,

I just spotted your week old post...... the forum must be asleep again (or out riding their KTM's :LOL:).

I'm glad you took a test ride - these bikes are a lot taller than a K1600, so you will know if you like the ride position now.

Yes, the dealership has total control over the options and settings - that's all KTM secret stuff...... and you will need to drop back in for all scheduled services at least in the early years of warranty cover (same as all other brand's in this electronic age).

The SAS (?) model you rode has been on the market since 2017 and has everything - centre stand, handguards, etc so 'good choice'...... the centre stand is very very useful for chain lube - something you will have forgotten about on the shaft drive bike.

They are light, powerful and I have not read of any ongoing issues that would cause concern.

My 2017 1290SDGT is 100% reliable and does not burn any engine oil. (y)

PS If you don't like the KTM cases, other racks can be purchased which will allow many types of luggage to fit. Try googling for ideas. The standard seat may be slightly hard (?) so a gel seat pad or airseat will help if you don't want to go for the heated seat option.

Welcome aboard in advance (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the infos
I read that the seat is quite hard and not comfortable, and I understand KTM to keep their price lower, that is a nre thing for me coming from bmw K1600GTL and Honda goldwing

I did really like the 45 minutes test drive that I have with the SAS
The quickshift was absolutely amazing (smooth, quick and noiseless)

I need to sell my K1600GTL first and after move to the adventure side.

Is there a lot of mechanical and software differences between a 2017, 2018 and 2019?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
793 Posts
Ummmm, I think the 2019 Super Adv Sport is unchanged from the first model, released in late 2017..... but I don't know for sure...... there could be some factory improvements in the latest model year, but I think they were pretty well sorted after years of the earlier Super Adv (big 40Ltr fuel tank) and all the 1190 models.

I recently read about a totally new model coming out in 2020...... I can't find the article in my back issues of AMCN but I it will be a cross between the current SAS and a GT. It will have a bigger/full fairing and centre stand and the 790Adv style fuel tanks (ie down low)..... maybe a new softer seat :LOL:, so stay tuned for the EICMA show and further news. It could be a much lighter adventure version of your K1600 tourer........ with a V2 motor!

·
Registered
793 Posts
Had a good look back to late January in my pile of bike mags..... and there was a spy photo and story about the new for 2020 SAS1290....... it had the plastic low mounted gas tanks from the 790AdvR so if that's an advantage, stay tuned for new model release in 2020....... but I reckon the current 1290SAS (or even the SAR) look great anyway.

Can't find the rear shot I thought I saw in another report...... anyway, there's quite a few model updates coming in 2020..... not that there was anything wrong with the existing fleet...... just time for some to get a 3yr refresh or a few extra add-on's to keep the buyers interested.

A recent magazine test of the 1290SAS and 790Adv had the tester in two minds...... one was light and fun, the other had bulk power and was fun....... so he was in two minds about which to choose....... it just depends on what type of riding you are looking at........ though I noticed the 1290SAS had a 840-860mm seat height which I would stretch to reach with my 32" inseam legs....... so I'll stick with my 825mm SDGT seat height....... :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts