KTM Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I am having ongoing issues with lack of power in the higher revs and jerky in the high revs (won't rev out) the final thing i can think of is the throttle body needs a good clean along with the injectors. I can't seem to find any guidance on the internet of how easy/hard it is to remove, clean and replace the throttle body of the Duke 690. There seems to be loads on the 390 but none on the 690! Wondering if anyone knew about this? Im no expert and don't want to cause more problems than it already has doing it so if its too hard ill take it to a dealer and get ripped off ;) haha

Cheers in advance

·
Registered
687 Posts
Try a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas first?

·
Super Moderator
743 Posts
Look into sea foam as well. It's a great product for cleaning out internals.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Try a can of fuel injector cleaner in the gas first?
Hi mate,

Yeah currently running a can through it. About half way through the tank using the Motul stuff but don't notice any improvement on the issue. It is running a lot smoother around the 3k mark though, a lot less jerky low end which is a plus

Cheers

·
Super Moderator
743 Posts
I've heard about this stuff might have to take a look. Have you used it before?
Yes its great. Some in the tank, some in the crank case and could even suck some into an intake line then follow the instructions and prepare to smoke yourself out!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I have stripped the throttle body out and it generally looks pretty clean. Does anyone know if it could be anything underneath the black cover (electronic bit) or not?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Could be the injectors themselves. Running a can of cleaner here and there tends to keep them clean, but it doesn't do so well at opening up injectors that are already clogged. I'd see about getting them rebuilt. It isn't prohibitively expensive and at worst will do no harm. There are a few outfits that will service your injectors via the mail if you can have the bike down for a couple weeks or so. Alternatively, try to find some used from ebay and have a set to rebuild. I'm not sure if and when KTM has changed their injectors, but it might be very year-specific.

Might not be the problem (could be a sensor issue or something similar) but for under $20 per injector to rebuild, it's hardly going to break the bank. I'm relatively new to the Duke, so I don't know the system well enough for detailed troubleshooting advice beyond the shotgun approach.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I ended up taking it to the ktm dealer and it turns out that when the rocker arm failed it in turn damaged the cam lobe which over time has gotten more and more worn so its not a $2500 (NZD). Think i may do it myself though, they are trying to say it requires the mid block taken off and piston rings done etc as there may have been metal in the oil. but surely if the filters were doing their job thats not really an issue and should be a straight cam shaft replacement?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts