KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cheers all,

While doing a check on my 17GT on a nice sunny winter Saturday afternoon I noticed my brake lamp was rattling around loose o_O......

It has happened to quite a few 1290 owners, but none of my riding mates mentioned it last time I was out, so I have no idea how long it has been broken...(luckily I haven't ridden since January - bushfires/covid lock down/hip surgery have decimated my 2020)..... anyway, the lamp still works and I'm in the process of 'Gorilla Grip' gluing the broken posts together and thinking out a more permanent fix involving lots of silicone.

What I have trialed seems to sit well, but it's cold and dark now, so I'll finish off tomorrow......... :censored: I thought I might have sneaked out for my 1st ride since having hip surgery in early June.......:rolleyes:.. oh well, no rush....... gotta fix the bike 1st :ROFLMAO:.

(y)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I've seen this many times on SDR's but first time I've heard of it on a GT! I thought they'd fixed it :(

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Happened to my 17 Gt - took only 1000 miles. Have a fix posted somewhere here. Then a smart soul fixed his with silicone only.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Mine was broken when I first bought the bike too. I replaced it with an aftermarket one. Blaster X I think? Everyone seems to agree that the design is bad. When I replaced mine I realized that there were only some adhesive foam strips for damping the tail light so I added more. I stuffed foam in there till the taillight no longer moves. Hopefully it won't shake until it breaks. I am worried about water getting in there when it rains but so far so good.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The tail light on my '18 SDR seems to be rubber mounted--it gives a little but is still very stable. Maybe they changed the design in '18?

·
Registered
49 Posts
I noticed mine was mounted on rubber bushings as well. Sure does have a lot of movement when you press on it though. Not sure how that looks while I’m on the street.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, mine had the extra foam adhesive strips too, but I think they put more tension on the two locator lugs that have screws and washers to hold it in place.

My mounting posts broke away from the lamp base and also fractured along the shafts...... messy...... but I have glued the pieces (or whats left of them) together again.

I have a few ideas floating around in the soup I call a brain and I am going out into the man cave shortly to see what might work ....... It needs something to take the weight off the mounting posts....... it's a truly stupid design :(.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Same here: 2016 SDGT. I've just left it alone so far... don't think it's going anywhere. But it is kinda floppy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Maybe they changed the design in '18?
No it's just the same. There was a part number change early on and I thought they may have made some change to the mount when mine broke. Turns out the part number change was just from a black light to a clear one and no change to mounting points.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh well, it was a nice day for some therapy..... working on a motorcycle.......:cool:.

Job done, lamp now nice and secure. Cost time only and some silicone and super glue and two shorter screws from my stash of nuts/bolts/screws etc.

I used some 6mm rubber door seal to create extra support from the side panels and deleted the rubber grommets as my rebuilt mounts were in no shape to handle any weight. So my tail lens is held in place by some silicone and by the extra rubbers on the body panels....... and some double sided tape for good measure (up under the plastic lens cover panel holding onto the top of the lamp ......).

Has a little bit of give, but is nice an secure........ if that doesn't work, maybe an accessory unit has a better quality mounting system (metal maybe?).

(y)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
found it.

Reactions: DaveAu

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I just went out and tried to wiggle mine. It's not solid, feels like mounted in rubber. Is this the beginning of what becomes the dangling taillight? If so, it'll be JB Marine weld on those screw bosses rather than silicone.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I just went out and tried to wiggle mine. It's not solid, feels like mounted in rubber. Is this the beginning of what becomes the dangling taillight? If so, it'll be JB Marine weld on those screw bosses rather than silicone.
It is mounted in rubber and moves around a bit - you’ll know when it breaks.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now I know why my tail light seems to pull off in your hand It is done broke !
Yep, I think mine had been rattling around since December as I recall a motorist calling out to me while I was stopped at a traffic light, something about my brake light flashing while I was riding........ I checked that the light was working properly, but I didn't think to grab it and check if it was broken....... oh well, it still works, and it's nice and firm now :D.

If it lets go again I'll do an @Spartacus job on it.......

·
Registered
329 Posts
Anybody look at the Blaster X replacement taillight from CustomLEDs? There's no repairing mine, so I'll either live with it, or replace it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mine was also completely busted off, but is now nice and firmly in place using silicone to reinforce the repaired (glued) mounts, but as yet untested over time and bumps...... silicone works but the tail lamps design is totally reliant on those plastic posts, so I added extra support in the body work and put a few layers of double sided tape on top to take most of the weight away from the oem mounts.

I haven't seen the aftermarket tail lamp...... hopefully it has a better designed mounting system.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Mine's being held in place by the surrounding brackets. It's kinda floppy, but it's very unlikely to escape...especially with the locking wire connector.

The Blaster X has some attractive features, but I don't know whether its mount is any more robust than the OEM light.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok here's the print from Blaster-X web site...... they mention they have designed it to fix the common failures of the 1290SD units.....

• Fits 2016, 2017, 2018 & 2019 KTM 1290 Super Duke GT.
  • Complete Plug and Play Ultra-Bright Integrated LED tail light with High Quality clear or smoked lens - OEM fitment.
  • FULL CanBus compatibility for Brake Light and integrated Turn Signals.
  • Improved structural design prevents common fatigue failures that occur on the OEM and other aftermarket tail lights.
  • Features our Microprocessor based Blaster-X Technology with Brake Alert, Turn Alert, and Strobe Mode.
  • New 2nd Generation Programming Interface allows users to easily customize programmable features.
  • New Sure-Blink Technology.
  • Plug and play connectivity with OEM connectors.
  • Made in the USA.
  • 2-year Warranty & Satisfaction Guarantee.
  • Ships same business day.
Pricey but they have extra features like strobe flashing etc etc

1 - 20 of 20 Posts