KTM Forums banner
21 - 40 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Wow that's sucks especially when I have a new one myself with slightly over 1000 miles on it. I know it's frustrating and I would be pissed and uncomfortable with the bike moving forward, but let's give them an opportunity to fix it then you decide what you want to do with it from there. Most lemon law cases involves showing a consistent issue with the vehicle that the dealership resolution has failed. I do not think this situation qualifies for it.
I seriously hope the fix it quickly although I know you won't look at it the same way. GL and keep us posted.

·
Registered
2022 KTM 890 Adventure / 2021 KTM 690 Enduro R
73 Posts
Lemon Laws in the following states, however, do not cover motorcycles: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, and Vermont.
Yup, that's what I mentioned. States like mine (Colorado) there is no lemon law for motorcycles and even States that do have them allow for the manufacturer to attempt 3 or more repairs (depending on that States laws) before it can be considered a lemon.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
However Everything is covered by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty law and that's the best way to pursue that kind of thing anyway. Most states the lemon law doesn't cover your attorney fees but Mag-Moss they are covered.
Now, I was successful in persuing a Maguson-Moss case against Triumph. But that still took them having the bike at the dealership for over 4 months while it still had the happy tags on and several attempts to repair.

I couldn't have won that either with a one time issue before giving them fair time and repair attempts.

In short, you can't file a case because your bike fried and you want a new one. They have to be given sufficient time and attempts to make it right.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
i disagree, new motor is needed.... motor overheated with low oil.
Although all parts will be in spec and pass a visual inspection but its going to play on your mind
I appreciate your addition to this thread. Ultimately I do want a new motor as this is weighing on me heavily! This has definitely sucked all the fun out of this bike and kind of want nothing to do with it anymore..

·
Registered
73 Posts
I appreciate your addition to this thread. Ultimately I do want a new motor as this is weighing on me heavily! This has definitely sucked all the fun out of this bike and kind of want nothing to do with it anymore..
Has KTM given a firm indication on whether they plan to rebuild or replace the motor? Or is that still being negotiated?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Has KTM given a firm indication on whether they plan to rebuild or replace the motor? Or is that still being negotiated?
KTM has said "lets get the bike repaired then we will access the situation as whole for further steps" Unhappy with that response as it seems very unproductive to me. I have had constant back and forth communication and am almost getting no where with them. Has been a very rough experience with KTM.

·
Premium Member
2,276 Posts
KTM has said "lets get the bike repaired then we will access the situation as whole for further steps" Unhappy with that response as it seems very unproductive to me. I have had constant back and forth communication and am almost getting no where with them. Has been a very rough experience with KTM.
I don't think you'd get a much better response from another manufacturer in honesty. My mates 890R spat it's guts out at 300 miles... KTM were replacing/repairing... he ended up selling it back to them at a loss and getting a 765RS..

He kept that 8 months and bought an 890R lol.

KTMs have their issues... but they have a little something that keeps people in ...

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
7,183 Posts
kind of want nothing to do with it anymore..
Awww. I think hold on . I know personally 5 locals with 790/890 and no probs ...

In all honesty the majority of parts are not affected by heat and no oil... But some are .... Like every oil fed bearing and all sliding parts ..... I can't see why they would not just install new motor and send your old one back to the factory ... Seems easier than tech support...

When you think about how the motor and all parts get a clean , then visual inspection , spec inspection ...... Hmmmm

You know on the other hand it could be very beneficial to have it screwed down by someone who specs it .....

I'd now push for full disclosure on all replaced parts and if something looks fishy push the ktm factory phone number .....

·
Registered
73 Posts
That is a bit vague at best, isn't it. No indication as to "whether get the bike repaired" means rebuilding or replacing the motor? I would tend to think having the shop replace the motor might be more cost-effective than re-imbursing the shop for the hours in rebuilding it. But maybe not.

I mentioned in a post above the issues I had with a Triumph and that was a nightmare that has turned me off the brand. I know it is easy to get discouraged when we have issues and it is easy to get turned off the brand when they occur. I hope you decide to see it through and see how it goes, but I can also definitely appreciate how you may not want to.

I hope it works out in your favor whichever route you go.

·
Registered
73 Posts
KTM possibly does not have a motor to replace with? Still way behind on demand due to covid ?
You will probably have to insist on it to get one.
That might be a case where having a good warranty guy at the dealership willing to work in your favor helps. But since dealerships generally lose money on warranty work since manufacturers pay a reduced rate, do you think it would be in the dealership's own self-interest to battle with KTM for a new motor vs a rebuild?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
That might be a case where having a good warranty guy at the dealership willing to work in your favor helps. But since dealerships generally lose money on warranty work since manufacturers pay a reduced rate, do you think it would be in the dealership's own self-interest to battle with KTM for a new motor vs a rebuild?
They seem quite willing to fight for what’s right so far and taking care of me best their ability. Supposed to get a new update on the bike tomorrow and will let everyone know. I’m nearly full decided on sending it down the road once it is repaired, and take my loss.

·
Registered
73 Posts
They seem quite willing to fight for what’s right so far and taking care of me best their ability. Supposed to get a new update on the bike tomorrow and will let everyone know. I’m nearly full decided on sending it down the road once it is repaired, and take my loss.
I can appreciate that thought about sending it down the road. But I would also caution you to be careful what you wish for. KTM isn't the only brand that can have major problems or be frustrating to deal with. I have sent a Triumph and a Honda down the road for various repeated and unresolved issues. They can all have their issues at times. A repaired 890R may prove to be far more reliable than an (insert brand/model here) :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I can appreciate that thought about sending it down the road. But I would also caution you to be careful what you wish for. KTM isn't the only brand that can have major problems or be frustrating to deal with. I have sent a Triumph and a Honda down the road for various repeated and unresolved issues. They can all have their issues at times. A repaired 890R may prove to be far more reliable than an (insert brand/model here) :)
As funny as it sounds maybe my luck just ran out, lol!
Before this bike I owned only Ducati’s even my first bike was a Ducati, a model from the 90s. Never had one issue with them and my last Ducati I put 27k on and people say those things are maintenance nightmares and I was struck free of Ducati problems. Small part of me wants to keep it with the way your attitude is glass half full. Mine is very much so glass half empty!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I hate doubting any piece of equipment. The littlest nagging things can make me want to sell/trade for something different. Oddly enough, as soon as I get something fixed, I quickly get over the need to sell.
I was just going through this with my F150 which had a small leak on a turbo coolant line. I dreaded the repair. (Either doing it or paying to have it done). At 8:00pm on a Saturday I got a wild hair and started tearing it apart. At 2:00am it was done. Seems to be fine so now my “need“ for a new truck is gone. Good for another 50-100k (it has 161k on it). Same thing with bikes. I either have to fix or modify until I’m completely content or its down the road.

If you can get a good mech to correct the issue and go through it, and back it, that would be my preferred solution. Once you get it back, ride the **** out of it until you trust it! The thing is, the 890 is a unique bike and there aren’t any other bikes that really fit the same niche. I don’t know of another bike with this combination of good power, great handling, light weight and as comfortable on the track as a local trip to the store. Just depends on what you want in a bike and whether another meets those desires as well as the 890.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I hate doubting any piece of equipment. The littlest nagging things can make me want to sell/trade for something different. Oddly enough, as soon as I get something fixed, I quickly get over the need to sell.
I was just going through this with my F150 which had a small leak on a turbo coolant line. I dreaded the repair. (Either doing it or paying to have it done). At 8:00pm on a Saturday I got a wild hair and started tearing it apart. At 2:00am it was done. Seems to be fine so now my “need“ for a new truck is gone. Good for another 50-100k (it has 161k on it). Same thing with bikes. I either have to fix or modify until I’m completely content or its down the road.

If you can get a good mech to correct the issue and go through it, and back it, that would be my preferred solution. Once you get it back, ride the **** out of it until you trust it! The thing is, the 890 is a unique bike and there aren’t any other bikes that really fit the same niche. I don’t know of another bike with this combination of good power, great handling, light weight and as comfortable on the track as a local trip to the store. Just depends on what you want in a bike and whether another meets those desires as well as the 890.
I would probably feel like “f it” if I actually got to enjoy the bike before this happened and would be fine if it got repaired. I wish this was like your situation with your F150 161k miles nice! But nope. Didn’t even make it to the first service and only owned two weeks and the engine, transmission, and radiator blew. I can not wrap my head around that one to just accept a repaired bike back.

Loved the bike every day for two weeks enjoyed it so much and my previous bikes right before this were 959 panigale and 1098 streetfighter S (and other Ducati's). never even got the bike above 5.5k rpm I was babying the 890 until first service and still liked it more than the larger CC bikes. I really am trying to bring myself to being okay with what happened but it is very hard to.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As funny as it sounds maybe my luck just ran out, lol!
Before this bike I owned only Ducati’s even my first bike was a Ducati, a model from the 90s. Never had one issue with them and my last Ducati I put 27k on and people say those things are maintenance nightmares and I was struck free of Ducati problems. Small part of me wants to keep it with the way your attitude is glass half full. Mine is very much so glass half empty!
I had a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 that was in the shop for 4 months with the happy tags still on it. The shaft drive cannibalized itself while it was only two weeks old. Triumph said it was due to a misalignment from the factory and ordered a new shaft drive for it. That shaft drive took months to arrive from the UK and when it did it was coated with rust. The dealership took one look at it and said no way. So Triumph expedited a replacement shaft. They got the bike back together, but the shop was alarmed about how much noise the motor was making. After tearing into it they decided that it needed a top-end rebuild. An issue with the valves or something. They did that and it was still making a racket so they decided it also needed the bottom rebuilt. Triumph decided not to do that and replaced the bike. The replacement one lasted about 3 months before the same issue occurred with the shaft drive. I got it fixed and under warranty and got it gone. But I still wonder to this day if they had just swapped the motor rather than swap the bike for another with the same issue If I would have kept the original one for years.

Most recently I had a 2019 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I sold the 2016 model I had with zero issues and purchased 2019 thinking I would have the same great experience with the replacement. Nope. Honda had issues with the fuel tanks on the 2018/2019/early 2020 Adventure Sports Models. A lot of crud build-up would clog the fuel filters causing them to lose power, particularly during passing and stall at stops or intersections. I had it in twice where they cleaned the fuel tank and replaced both injectors and the fuel pump. Then there was an official recall where they cleaned the tank a 3rd time and replaced the fuel pump a 3rd time. The bike still continued to have various run issues after that. Surging, sputtering, cold stars, a couple of times would not exceed a certain speed (79mph one time, 83mph another), other times WOT you could count one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi before it would suddenly take off and go. Honda was never able to resolve the issues and that caused me to look at KTM again.

I have had a number of KTM's including a 350EXC-F, 450 EXC-F, a couple of 690 Enduro R's including the 2021 out in the garage, a 1190 Adventure R which I traded on the 2016 AT after 48K trouble-free miles, and my current 890 Adventure. I have never had trouble with any of them despite KTM's rep for poor reliability.

All this to say that there is never any guarantee that the next bike, even a generally reliable brand like Honda, is guaranteed to be trouble-free :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I had a Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 that was in the shop for 4 months with the happy tags still on it. The shaft drive cannibalized itself while it was only two weeks old. Triumph said it was due to a misalignment from the factory and ordered a new shaft drive for it. That shaft drive took months to arrive from the UK and when it did it was coated with rust. The dealership took one look at it and said no way. So Triumph expedited a replacement shaft. They got the bike back together, but the shop was alarmed about how much noise the motor was making. After tearing into it they decided that it needed a top-end rebuild. An issue with the valves or something. They did that and it was still making a racket so they decided it also needed the bottom rebuilt. Triumph decided not to do that and replaced the bike. The replacement one lasted about 3 months before the same issue occurred with the shaft drive. I got it fixed and under warranty and got it gone. But I still wonder to this day if they had just swapped the motor rather than swap the bike for another with the same issue If I would have kept the original one for years.

Most recently I had a 2019 Honda Africa Twin Adventure Sports. I sold the 2016 model I had with zero issues and purchased 2019 thinking I would have the same great experience with the replacement. Nope. Honda had issues with the fuel tanks on the 2018/2019/early 2020 Adventure Sports Models. A lot of crud build-up would clog the fuel filters causing them to lose power, particularly during passing and stall at stops or intersections. I had it in twice where they cleaned the fuel tank and replaced both injectors and the fuel pump. Then there was an official recall where they cleaned the tank a 3rd time and replaced the fuel pump a 3rd time. The bike still continued to have various run issues after that. Surging, sputtering, cold stars, a couple of times would not exceed a certain speed (79mph one time, 83mph another), other times WOT you could count one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three Mississippi before it would suddenly take off and go. Honda was never able to resolve the issues and that caused me to look at KTM again.

I have had a number of KTM's including a 350EXC-F, 450 EXC-F, a couple of 690 Enduro R's including the 2021 out in the garage, a 1190 Adventure R which I traded on the 2016 AT after 48K trouble-free miles, and my current 890 Adventure. I have never had trouble with any of them despite KTM's rep for poor reliability.

All this to say that there is never any guarantee that the next bike, even a generally reliable brand like Honda, is guaranteed to be trouble-free :)
Funny, I also had a 350 exc-f when they first came fuel injected. Sent that one down the road after a month of owning it continuously stalling. My KTM luck is garbage. I may give them a second chance here. I’ll see..

21 - 40 of 58 Posts