KTM Forums banner

Time to part with 890R?

20K views 70 replies 15 participants last post by  Duke Ferg 
#1 ·
Hello all,

couple days ago now, and less than three weeks of ownership - bought off showroom floor and has not even made it to first service yet in mileage. My 22’ 890 R is in shambles. Bike died mid left turn in a very busy intersection. Long story short ended up having to walk the bike home couple miles while holding the clutch in because the transmission was shot too. Head gasket blew and coolant emptied into the engine and engine oil found in radiator. That was the diagnosis within the first 30 mins it was at the shop when they called me. I’m sure there’s much more wrong with it. Basically everything stopped working mechanically and electronically.

I feel like I’m down to two options and it sucks both ways. Do I part with the bike when it’s all fixed up and take my 2k+ loss selling it private party? Or, pay for an extended warranty and ride it and every time something goes wrong (may not I have just lost faith/trust) put it back in the shop. To keep the bike under warranty though I unfortunately would not be able to do any of the plans I had for this bike, and my KTM dealer says all OEM equipment must stay on bike to keep it under warranty what’s the fun in that..

Thanks for reading, would like any opinions on this matter.

See less See more
#3 ·
Ditto on the lemon law. The other consideration is just how good your dealer is. First -- are they replacing or rebuilding the engine. Anybody can swap an engine but I'd want a very good tech rebuilding it. Second -- how much do you trust them to do future warranty work? Based on the 'keep it stock to keep it in warranty' I'd be worried about that. I think the manufacturer has to show that any modification is the cause of a mechanical failure to refuse warranty. That said, if the dealer, specifically, the tech writer, is not fighting for you getting the warranty work approved is an uphill battle.

The other question is whether they reset the clock on your warranty after the new engine.

I am, and have been, fortunate to have very good shops with techs and tech writers that I know well. If it were my dealer, I wouldn't even bother with the extended warranty. But I know who would rebuild and I know the dealer would take care of me.

#6 ·
Ditto on the lemon law. The other consideration is just how good your dealer is. First -- are they replacing or rebuilding the engine. Anybody can swap an engine but I'd want a very good tech rebuilding it. Second -- how much do you trust them to do future warranty work? Based on the 'keep it stock to keep it in warranty' I'd be worried about that. I think the manufacturer has to show that any modification is the cause of a mechanical failure to refuse warranty. That said, if the dealer, specifically, the tech writer, is not fighting for you getting the warranty work approved is an uphill battle.

The other question is whether they reset the clock on your warranty after the new engine.

I am, and have been, fortunate to have very good shops with techs and tech writers that I know well. If it were my dealer, I wouldn't even bother with the extended warranty. But I know who would rebuild and I know the dealer would take care of me.
So far my dealer has been very responsive, and transparent to getting this resolved fast as they can. All interactions with dealer/service manager have been promising to me. I am unsure on the rebuild/replacement issue right now as I am not sure what the next steps are but I am sure they will call me today with some sort of update.. fingers crossed this is not a bumpy ride.

#4 ·
Wow, that just crazy.
I would def. be going through the lemon law process.
I wouldn’t want anything to do with that bike. How could you possibly trust it after all this?
As a new owner of a 21 890, I could not imagine having to go through this b.s.. I feel bad for you.
I remember somebody just recently said they were getting no where with their dealer about a problem they were having. They contacted KTM directly and we’re able to get it resolved.
I wish you the best.

#7 ·
Wow, that just crazy.
I would def. be going through the lemon law process.
I wouldn’t want anything to do with that bike. How could you possibly trust it after all this?
As a new owner of a 21 890, I could not imagine having to go through this b.s.. I feel bad for you.
I remember somebody just recently said they were getting no where with their dealer about a problem they were having. They contacted KTM directly and we’re able to get it resolved.
I wish you the best.
Yeah I am going to have to look into how to pursue this at an angle that this is a lemon (which it obviously is, it blew up and I have been babying this bike shifting before 5k rpm with no highway use)

I have wrote KTM North America a pretty lengthy message about how frustrating and humiliating this was - hopefully that helps with resolution. This is all to unfortunate because I truly do love this bike and it is taking everything in me to not send this thing down the road!!

#5 ·
Agreed with the above comments.
Push for a dealer buyback being that you are in less than a month of ownership. You want a new bike but not that bike.
The way I understand it, the lemon law is a manufacturer buyback and is typically chosen when you've had the vehicle in service for an extended amount of time(often beyond time owned), and/ or in service for the same repeated issue that continues.

#9 · (Edited)
While the Lemon Law angle sound good at first glance, you will want to check your state laws to see if you even qualify.

Some states, such as Colorado's Lemon Law, C.R.S. 42-12-101, only covers cars, pickups, and vans. It exludes recreation vehicles such as motorhomes, and motorcycles.

Lemon Laws also generally require that the manufacturer is allowed 3, 4 or more attempts to repair before a court may order the manufacturer to replace the vehicle.

Your best bet is probably going to be working closely with your dealership and KTM to see what they are willing to do for you.

I hope that you get it resolved in your favor.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

#18 ·
While the Lemon Law angle sound good at first glance, you will want to check your state laws to see if you even qualify.

Some states, such as Colorado's Lemon Law, C.R.S. 42-12-101, only covers cars, pickups, and vans. It exludes recreation vehicles such as motorhomes, and motorcycles.

Lemon Laws also generally require that the manufacturer is allowed 3, 4 or more attempts to repair before a court may order the manufacturer to replace the vehicle.

Your best bet is probably going to be working closely with your dealership and KTM to see what they are willing to do for you.

I hope that you get it resolved in your favor.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk
Lemon Laws in the following states, however, do not cover motorcycles: Arkansas, California, Colorado, Delaware, the District of Columbia, Florida, Hawaii, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kentucky, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, New York, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Utah, and Vermont.

#10 ·
Updating this thread here for anyone following or comes across this issue their selves.

Within 24 hours my dealership diagnosed the issue and KTM had fast shipped parts that will be here by end of week. I can say from a customer service stand this is a good look and don’t expect anything less in a situation like this.

Service manger explained to me the assembly of the water pump was incorrect so the water pump seal blew. This caused the oil from engine and coolant from radiator to mix as he said created a “sludge” inside my radiator cause it to overheat —> next Steps he said is to rebuild cooling system, fix my counter shaft leak I was having also and keep the bike couple more days and run it to make sure their are no other mechanical issues from it over heating.

Now I’m in a position where I am in contact with KTM North America trying to get a free extended warranty. I have told them I am uncomfortable with the bike because the engine has had to been taken off bike and flushed and this could cause issues that go beyond the original 12 month warranty that comes with the bike.

#11 ·
Now I’m in a position where I am in contact with KTM North America trying to get a free extended warranty. I have told them I am uncomfortable with the bike because the engine has had to been taken off bike and flushed and this could cause issues that go beyond the original 12 month warranty that comes with the bike.
A free extended warranty would only be fair I would think. Hopefully, KTM agrees, and you can have a little piece of mind in either enjoying it or selling it.

#14 ·
I agree man!!
If only pursuing legal action didn’t deal with reaching into my wallet.
I have a couple ktms. My 1190 adventure had recurring engine leaks after purchase. Took the previous owner months of arguing to finally get them to just replace the entire engine under warranty.
Bike runs fine now. Ext warranty expired and only other issue was a fuel level sensor.
I buy extended warranties on my bikes. It's been valuable for me.
If your bike gets fixed them I'd stick with it. Might be a bit of work to get it fixed properly though.
A new bike/engine is what I’m truly gunning for I just would need my dealer to be on my side for that to happen. I have heard people putting 10k+ miles no issues at all on this bike. Unfortunately I got hit with the horror stories of ktm. ):

#13 ·
I have a couple ktms. My 1190 adventure had recurring engine leaks after purchase. Took the previous owner months of arguing to finally get them to just replace the entire engine under warranty.
Bike runs fine now. Ext warranty expired and only other issue was a fuel level sensor.
I buy extended warranties on my bikes. It's been valuable for me.
If your bike gets fixed them I'd stick with it. Might be a bit of work to get it fixed properly though.

#17 ·
If they have a grade A tech rebuilding your engine and an extended warranty, I'd be just as happy with that as a new engine. The tech will be sending a lot more time on the engine than the assembly plant did.

Reactions: Duke Ferg and PRM
#21 ·
Wow that's sucks especially when I have a new one myself with slightly over 1000 miles on it. I know it's frustrating and I would be pissed and uncomfortable with the bike moving forward, but let's give them an opportunity to fix it then you decide what you want to do with it from there. Most lemon law cases involves showing a consistent issue with the vehicle that the dealership resolution has failed. I do not think this situation qualifies for it.
I seriously hope the fix it quickly although I know you won't look at it the same way. GL and keep us posted.

#32 ·
That might be a case where having a good warranty guy at the dealership willing to work in your favor helps. But since dealerships generally lose money on warranty work since manufacturers pay a reduced rate, do you think it would be in the dealership's own self-interest to battle with KTM for a new motor vs a rebuild?

#37 ·
I hate doubting any piece of equipment. The littlest nagging things can make me want to sell/trade for something different. Oddly enough, as soon as I get something fixed, I quickly get over the need to sell.
I was just going through this with my F150 which had a small leak on a turbo coolant line. I dreaded the repair. (Either doing it or paying to have it done). At 8:00pm on a Saturday I got a wild hair and started tearing it apart. At 2:00am it was done. Seems to be fine so now my “need“ for a new truck is gone. Good for another 50-100k (it has 161k on it). Same thing with bikes. I either have to fix or modify until I’m completely content or its down the road.

If you can get a good mech to correct the issue and go through it, and back it, that would be my preferred solution. Once you get it back, ride the **** out of it until you trust it! The thing is, the 890 is a unique bike and there aren’t any other bikes that really fit the same niche. I don’t know of another bike with this combination of good power, great handling, light weight and as comfortable on the track as a local trip to the store. Just depends on what you want in a bike and whether another meets those desires as well as the 890.

#38 ·
I hate doubting any piece of equipment. The littlest nagging things can make me want to sell/trade for something different. Oddly enough, as soon as I get something fixed, I quickly get over the need to sell.
I was just going through this with my F150 which had a small leak on a turbo coolant line. I dreaded the repair. (Either doing it or paying to have it done). At 8:00pm on a Saturday I got a wild hair and started tearing it apart. At 2:00am it was done. Seems to be fine so now my “need“ for a new truck is gone. Good for another 50-100k (it has 161k on it). Same thing with bikes. I either have to fix or modify until I’m completely content or its down the road.

If you can get a good mech to correct the issue and go through it, and back it, that would be my preferred solution. Once you get it back, ride the **** out of it until you trust it! The thing is, the 890 is a unique bike and there aren’t any other bikes that really fit the same niche. I don’t know of another bike with this combination of good power, great handling, light weight and as comfortable on the track as a local trip to the store. Just depends on what you want in a bike and whether another meets those desires as well as the 890.
I would probably feel like “f it” if I actually got to enjoy the bike before this happened and would be fine if it got repaired. I wish this was like your situation with your F150 161k miles nice! But nope. Didn’t even make it to the first service and only owned two weeks and the engine, transmission, and radiator blew. I can not wrap my head around that one to just accept a repaired bike back.

Loved the bike every day for two weeks enjoyed it so much and my previous bikes right before this were 959 panigale and 1098 streetfighter S (and other Ducati's). never even got the bike above 5.5k rpm I was babying the 890 until first service and still liked it more than the larger CC bikes. I really am trying to bring myself to being okay with what happened but it is very hard to.

#41 ·
Let them repair it. Drive it.
Make sure you have gap insurance and if it gives you a hint of concern, park it on the side of the road.
Then just give me a shout and tell me where and I’ll take it off your hands for you.😬
I would let them fix it, drive it like you stole it and if it’s not right, keep taking it back until they get it right.

Good luck!

#53 ·
It pains me to bring an update to this thread. Bike finished its warranty work yesterday and I pick the bike up today after work to ride it home. Halfway home the transmission blows I'm pretty sure.. Gear shift lever just flopping not connected to anything stuck in 5th gear. Had to push my bike home again. I was going to give them a second chance but this is it. Third chance? No way. You know how the saying goes.

I am bringing hell to KTM's doorstep I do not want this bike or anything to do with KTM from here out. Extremely disappointing experience. Owning the bike less than a month from brand new and is back in the shop for the second time. I haven't even gave this bike more than half throttle. Lost for words at this point.

#55 ·
It pains me to bring an update to this thread. Bike finished its warranty work yesterday and I pick the bike up today after work to ride it home. Halfway home the transmission blows I'm pretty sure.. Gear shift lever just flopping not connected to anything stuck in 5th gear. Had to push my bike home again. I was going to give them a second chance but this is it. Third chance? No way. You know how the saying goes.

I am bringing hell to KTM's doorstep I do not want this bike or anything to do with KTM from here out. Extremely disappointing experience. Owning the bike less than a month from brand new and is back in the shop for the second time. I haven't even gave this bike more than half throttle. Lost for words at this point.
Oh man, well that's not the conclusion we wanted to see.... Damn.

#54 ·
That’s freakin insane.
I can’t believe that they didn’t do a more thorough inspection of everything since of all you have gone through.
Horrible mechanic.
My 890 is an awesome machine and it is a shame that you can’t experience yours and are soured by it.
I would too if I were you.
Good luck

#60 ·
Update: I still have the bike and am fighting for what’s right with KTM North America customer service. Bike seems to be running good right now. Running strong. They fulfilled my request of a free of charge tech pack.. of course they would, simply an easy write off for them it’s an ecu flash..

They did not fulfill my request of a extra year warranty but in their right mind thought that “warranty reimbursement” would be beneficial. Since my bike sat in the shop 11 days they would add 11 days to my warranty with ktm. I explained to them that is unacceptable, hear me out. My bike spent 11 days in the shop after only owning 10 days. That solution just does not seem right.

In our email traffic they claimed this bike was reliable and would back their product. I reiterated if this is the case they would be at no loss covering my bike for an extended amount of time.

#61 ·
Update: I still have the bike and am fighting for what’s right with KTM North America customer service. Bike seems to be running good right now. Running strong. They fulfilled my request of a free of charge tech pack.. of course they would, simply an easy write off for them it’s an ecu flash..

They did not fulfill my request of a extra year warranty but in their right mind thought that “warranty reimbursement” would be beneficial. Since my bike sat in the shop 11 days they would add 11 days to my warranty with ktm. I explained to them that is unacceptable, hear me out. My bike spent 11 days in the shop after only owning 10 days. That solution just does not seem right.

In our email traffic they claimed this bike was reliable and would back their product. I reiterated if this is the case they would be at no loss covering my bike for an extended amount of time.
I had purchased a new 2017 Duke 390 and for the 30 days I owned it 16 of them were warranty issues . . . . Sold that bike quick. It's a wonder I bought another KTM to be honest.

#65 · (Edited)
I would like to update this thread for those that were invested. Did I part with the 890 R? No I did not for a few reasons. Mainly because the nimble weight of a street bike making this kind of torque makes it a blast to ride. Last 1500 miles she has not missed a beat and I have now restored my faith in this bike.

So since I did not part with it I obviously did some changes (see picture)

Tuned, decals, powerplate, high flow air filter, transaver, decat, slip on, etc. She sounds crazy and is angry everytime the throttle gets cracked! Thanks for everyone that persuaded me to hold on to the Duke, much appreciated.

Attachments

#68 ·
Got rid of my bike about a month ago by the way.. KTM bought it back from me, great customer service after a very bumpy time owning the 890. I have listed all my parts for sale if anyone is interested on the for sale tab.

#69 ·
Got rid of my bike about a month ago by the way.. KTM bought it back from me
Happy you got closure but, this outcome is somewhat hard to believe. Lots of issues on a new bike, Dealer/ KTM refused buyback but addressed issues, and you decided to keep it, then ultimately mod it.
Three months later, KTM bought it back.
Seems uncharacteristic. Surely there is more there.

#71 ·
No longer own the 890 DUKE R - Parts for sale currently listed here still on forums. flexible on all prices need gone ASAP!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.