KTM Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys; I just got a set of ContiSportAttack 4 tires for my 2020 SDGT, And I cannot find the recommended tire pressure for the front and rear tire. I ride mostly on the twisted roads of the Smokey Mountains, in NC, Virginia and KY. Any tips, please?? Thanks -- Andrew

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
42 psi cold max. The TPMS will light up when it falls to 34 psi. I would go with 36 front and 38 rear for the twisties. Any less and you run the risk of tire and/or wheel damage if youy hit a big enough pothole.

I had a discussion with a MotoGP tire tech at Indy a few years ago and he told me NEVER drop a street tire's pressure below -4psi from cold max. Street tires heat up quickly and don't need a bunch of heating from flexing sidewalls you get from running lower pressures to get max grip. Not necessary and not necessarily safe.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
42 psi cold max. The TPMS will light up when it falls to 34 psi. I would go with 36 front and 38 rear for the twisties. Any less and you run the risk of tire and/or wheel damage if youy hit a big enough pothole.

I had a discussion with a MotoGP tire tech at Indy a few years ago and he told me NEVER drop a street tire's pressure below -4psi from cold max. Street tires heat up quickly and don't need a bunch of heating from flexing sidewalls you get from running lower pressures to get max grip. Not necessary and not necessarily safe.
thanks. much appreciated. Be safe!! Andrew

·
Registered
125 Posts
Hi Guys; I just got a set of ContiSportAttack 4 tires for my 2020 SDGT, And I cannot find the recommended tire pressure for the front and rear tire. I ride mostly on the twisted roads of the Smokey Mountains, in NC, Virginia and KY. Any tips, please?? Thanks -- Andrew
I run 34/34 in the Smokies during my trips. 34/36 in the 'local' mountain rides of Northern VA/WV.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Manual recommends 36/42, but like many others, I prefer a bit less also. If riding two, or with heavy load, maybe 36/42.
This IS a heavy load

I was on 129 twice more that weekend, with the load (other than myself and a cooler) in a motel room, but I didn't bother to drop tire pressure because I would just have to pump it up again to go home. Doubt if I could feel a 2psi difference anyway.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This IS a heavy load

I was on 129 twice more that weekend, with the load (other than myself and a cooler) in a motel room, but I didn't bother to drop tire pressure because I would just have to pump it up again to go home. Doubt if I could feel a 2psi difference anyway.
Hi: I just have gone thru the Dragon twice! I kept 35/40; and I felt great!! thanks for all the tips!! be safe!! A

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,414 Posts
This IS a heavy load

Is it me or is there an uncanny resemblance to the fabled "Black Knight"?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
It's Just a flesh wound!!!!

Actually, I'm a retired member of the Black Knights Drum and Bugle Corps, seen here performing at the 1965 All-Star Game at (then) brand-new Busch Stadium in St. Louis
I'm out of the shot to the right carrying the American Flag.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts