KTM Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2018 1290 SAS
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rear tire pressure sensor on my 2018 1290SAS has quit working. Is that always an indication that it needs to be replaced? Or is there some other possible solution?

·
Registered
52 Posts
AFAIK most DIY tpms diagnostic tools ( Autel, Foxwell etc.) are only programmed for to work on 99% of cars. If you can find out if the KTM tpms is also used on any cars you could try a DIY tool, otherwise it's a trip to your KTM dealer who will be able to test the sensor with their Diagnostic Tool.
ATB
Rob

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like the sensor battery is done. Sealed unit so technically needs to be replaced. Have seen a video on YouTube though where the guy cuts sensor open and replaces battery. YMMV.

·
Registered
'19 1290 SDR
176 Posts
Piggy backing off of your post here... If the TPMS sensor is fully replaced (instead of just drilling to get at a battery)... How do you resync them to the machine?

I broke my front one changing a tire (forgot it was there :(),and so i've had a new one sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to sync once it is installed.

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,206 Posts
Piggy backing off of your post here... If the TPMS sensor is fully replaced (instead of just drilling to get at a battery)... How do you resync them to the machine?

I broke my front one changing a tire (forgot it was there :(),and so i've had a new one sitting on my desk waiting to be installed. Only thing I haven't figured out yet is how to sync once it is installed.
I had a similar issue happen - I just kept riding until I had to replace the tire. I bought a new sensor but took pictures of the serial number before it was installed with the new tire (dealer told me to document the tpms serial number before installing).

I was told it should automatically recognize it however if it didn’t I’d have to come back to the dealer and the photo with the serial numbers would be needed. It worked on its own so no visit to the dealer.
This was on my 2018 SDR (Gen2) and I put the new sensor on in April of this year. It was an easy replacement.

·
Registered
'19 1290 SDR
176 Posts
I had a similar issue happen - I just kept riding until I had to replace the tire. I bought a new sensor but took pictures of the serial number before it was installed with the new tire (dealer told me to document the tpms serial number before installing).

I was told it should automatically recognize it however if it didn’t I’d have to come back to the dealer and the photo with the serial numbers would be needed. It worked on its own so no visit to the dealer.
This was on my 2018 SDR (Gen2) and I put the new sensor on in April of this year. It was an easy replacement.
You're kidding, it automatically sync's!? Never in a million years would have guessed that haha. I've got a 2019 so fingers crossed i'll be in the same boat. I've still got a few months until i need a new front tire so i'll find out soon enough i suppose. thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
18 SDR
2,206 Posts
You're kidding, it automatically sync's!? Never in a million years would have guessed that haha. I've got a 2019 so fingers crossed i'll be in the same boat. I've still got a few months until i need a new front tire so i'll find out soon enough i suppose. thanks for sharing!
Yup - I’m serious - I was sceptical as well but someone on the Superduke forum posted it sync’s automatically. SoI was pleasantly surprised when it worked for me without a dealer visit.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I guess I’ve been lucky so far because I’ve never owned a vehicle that senses tire pressure. My cheap mechanical gauge always works. My wife and daughter’s vehicle have these things, and I bet they make me get it on my next truck. They made me get my first auto transmission and air bags when I bought my current 2007 model truck, the one prior was a 1993.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just a heads up for future reference and not 100% sure, but the sensors will possibly only self pair if replaced one at a time. If you need to do both...allow one to sync with a ride first before replacing the other and ride(sync) again.
And as mentioned before, pictures of the units and hold onto any reference material that comes with the sensors (box, etc)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts