KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys.... Scottie posted a pic of this neat foldable rear wheel prop stand for a single sided swingarm (ie SDGT) so lubing the chain is easy on tour without paddock stands/wheeling the bike around.

Google the videos..... it works beautifully.

I'm looking for one (if I can buy it locally at a good price..... the US sites have huge freight/tax penalties).

:grin2:

Ps just remove the wheel locking pin, insert the jack into the axle tube and push to snap upright and the wheel is off the ground....... comes with a handbrake strap and side stand grip footer.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The search continues........

Hi all,

Asked a couple of stores in Springwood bike hub today...... no one had a supplier for the Snapjack SS.

Had another look on the infernal web, and found 2 sources in the US (Le Clare & Vitvov) selling for just under $200Au fully delivered........ Looks like I'll keep using my Motul C5 chain paste on trips - my big workshop or paddock stands were $200...... this little prop stand, though very clever & compact, is as costly as the big guns........

Come on Aus bike industry...... sell for a sensible price and I'll buy one....... others will buy when they see mine in action!

Oh well, guess I'll go to sleep on that idea for another year.......:wink2:....... might get lucky and think of a way to make up something myself.....

Ps Also looked at RevZilla..... got all the way to the checkout with what seemed a hot price (about$150 to my door) and 'bang' they claimed they couldn't sell to Australia due to import/export restrictions..... maybe they think we are part of Afghanistan...... starts with an 'A'...... must be close by :laugh2:...... US Gov has no issue selling F35's to us...... but we can't buy a Stackjack SS...... :laugh2:

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
They go for $50USD around here. Still not cheap, but certainly not $200AUS. Which is why I made my own out o a scrap pop-up canopy frame leg. Stores handily in my topcase when I'm traveling.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:grin2: Work in progress on a Rough as guts engineering prototype :laugh2:

It's made up from a 32mm 3/8th drive socket and some odds and sods (bolt, copper tubing for a bushing, nuts, washers and the prop stand I used on the 94 FZR1000 5 valve Genisis....... and a length of curtain rod).

It worked...... so I'll begin to refine the components to make it less of a franken-prop stand, though a Snapjack would be the ultimate in quality and design.

Sure would be good if a local importer/distributor would get off their butt and bring a shipment in at a sensible price so I could buy one before I get too involved in my franken-stand project :laugh2:.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't neglect to include a velcro strap for the front brake. Quite a bit more stable with than without.
Thanks Hammer...... that's good advice - I was thinking the bike could roll forward over the side stand and fall over when not on level ground or facing uphill...... I've got to do more work to it, but so far it has been minimal time and no effort just throwing some old bits together....... Probably not the best use of a chrome 32mm socket, so I'll have to look around for a rubber wheel to take it's place.

I would prefer the professional product, but there is no listing on importers websites. I wouldn't hesitate at $70-100 from a local supplier but freight and import charges double the cost to my door.

:frown2:

I wonder when this SS version was released - it seems to be really new, but I suspect it has been around for a while....... naturally our local bike industry just doesn't give a fek.....:laugh2:

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Aaahhh - It's only money.......

:laugh2:..... stumbled onto Ebay again and there was JT Cycles selling a Snapjack SS for $65usd ...... so I worked my way toward the payment field to see what it was in Aus$ and charges...... came out at $110Au + $47del & taxes.

Well, that's me :grin2:...... I'll have one by the end of Feb latest....... :laugh2:...... made one for free, but couldn't resist spending $158Aus on a shiny new toy...... :laugh2:...... well it can be my other xmas pressy to myself :wink2:.

Good one Flea-bay........ >:)

Ps Had tried to find something lighter to replace the 32mm socket (42mm OD with maybe a proper bearing like a skateboard wheel etc) and non metal...... but no joy..... anyway, the SJ ss is so well designed I can claim it is a "Designer" jack-it fer the GT...:laugh2:....get-it....hey?.... oh alright, not funny..... it's too humid to think anyway.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I just replaced the inner wire clip (must be removed to spin the wheel with my ho-made propstand) that I left laying in the parking lot of a hotel in Virginia. I think I'm gonna glue a magnet on the prop (it's aluminum) to stick it to with each use so I don't forget to put it back again.

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, it's not as easy as you'd think to find the tiny little holes that match the retainer clip's pins.......

I'm thinking a couple of marker dots will make that a lot easier.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Yeah, it's not as easy as you'd think to find the tiny little holes that match the retainer clip's pins.......

I'm thinking a couple of marker dots will make that a lot easier.

Cheers
Only prob with that is, each time you r&r the rear wheel you could end up on a different set of holes (there are several).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Snapjack Single Sided

Thanks Hammer...... that's good advice - I was thinking the bike could roll forward over the side stand and fall over when not on level ground or facing uphill...... I've got to do more work to it, but so far it has been minimal time and no effort just throwing some old bits together....... Probably not the best use of a chrome 32mm socket, so I'll have to look around for a rubber wheel to take it's place.

I would prefer the professional product, but there is no listing on importers websites. I wouldn't hesitate at $70-100 from a local supplier but freight and import charges double the cost to my door.

:frown2:

I wonder when this SS version was released - it seems to be really new, but I suspect it has been around for a while....... naturally our local bike industry just doesn't give a fek.....:laugh2:
Hi guys, a member told me about this thread so I registered to come maybe help. The Single sided was my invention ( released late last year) because my Pitbull stand wasn't portable but very expensive also.( bought one no choice) Ducati 1098. I have tried to get any of the Australian distributors to carry this but like DaveAu's statement, they don't seem to give a fek. lol. I think they do just maybe busy or the shipping costs are the culprit. I have tried Cassons, A1, McLeod, Cykel, ProAccessories, Monza, Darbi.Kenma etc etc. I have tried calling MCAS even. Oddly I have a Distributor in NZ. Even had a well known Aussie journalist (Rennie Scaysbrook) do a review in the USA- Cycle News on my first V2 snapjack...still no luck. So hopefully someone here works or knows someone and can get this ball rolling. The Snapjack Single Sided is for 42mm right side axle hub hole only at this time. I am making new roller size for smaller hub/axles. I hope this doesn't get flagged as a vendor thread but I am only responding because of necessity to the riders and not as a vendor as I do not sell direct and trying to make a go at this. Thanks...Basil-Canada Here is the newest version ribbed roller and better fit and finish.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow..... thanks for coming on the forum and giving us the behind the scenes info...:grin2:

I visited my local KTM shop and another accessory outlet that knows me - I got them to look at the SJ ss on screen, and they both were positive about the product...... they couldn't find a supplier on their systems but were willing to ask their reps when they visited........

I had to buy mine via the USA so it will arrive after the 22nd Feb....... It cost a bit more but that was because of freight, otherwise i reckon $90-$100 Aus for a professional quality product c/w the anti slip and brake lock strap in a storage pouch is money well spent :wink2:.

Many thanks for visiting the forum!

I wish your venture well and will try to influence the local retailers/importers (maybe they are waiting for more 1290 & Ducati sales before stocking the stand....... it was the same for the rear sprocket - I had to wait a year before i could get one to fix the tall gearing ratio).

·
Registered
357 Posts
hey Scotty your melon fell off & is rolling around, bet you're getting dizzy aye, that aside the lid under the bike has saved my arse a few times over the yrs I've been a road user, improvisation brother ... grab someone else lid if yours is too light a construction :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts