KTM Forums banner

To Super Duke or Not

12K views 39 replies 16 participants last post by  DaveAu 
#1 ·
I have sold off all my big bikes have only a 690 Duke left in the garage and a vintage RD400 + doner. I am wanting to have a sporty bike I can tour on do not like the ADV bikes just to be clear "Buffeting off the wind screens drive me nuts" . Just parted with over the last year or two Buell 1125CR, Tuono 1000r, VFR 1200F, loved all 3 but wanted to save cash on the insurance as I knew I would not be riding much if at all till next spring. Seems for price range I will be looking at bikes in the 2014 to 2016 range at best. I am thinking of getting a Super Duke R and adding luggage is this crazy? Any reason not to go with the low mileage 2014s that pop up for sale? Any issues any of you owners see with my plan? My other probably most reasonable choice seems to be the Ninja 1000 with bags but cant seem to move on that idea.

Thanks Nick

#3 ·
Being a “big bike guy”, I love the idea of a super duke R. I just picked up a 2015 for just under $10,000, and I love it. The only mod on mine was a cat delete pipe but still has the stock can. I love the sound! Mine also came with a KTM mounting plate for a GPS. Really solid and I love that it puts the GPS above the tach. I did change the foot pegs to move them down a bit over an inch ( very good change for me). The only other change I’m making is a Corbin seat. Currently I only ride about 150 miles a day, but it won’t be long before I increese that. I love that you can play boy racer on the bike but still drive it long distance in good comfort.

#4 ·
I own a 2015 SuperDuke R.....I bought it new in Sept 2018 and now have done 8000km's
I am 6ft 1in and 90kg (200lbs) and have passed the age of consent some 100 years ago....
I love my bike as it is comfortable, spirited and looks fantastic and always receives admiring glances whenever I ride. What I don't like about my bike is the skittish handling in tight uneven corners....I definitely don't feel confident when it starts getting the jitters........I have tried every setting of rebound and compression all to no avail.....I'm hoping that when I change my tyres (soon) from the standard Dunlop Sportsmarts to Metzler M77R's the handling will be vastly improved.....if not, it will mean a trip to a suspension guru to rework the front end.
Having mentiooned what I believe is the worst handling of all my latest bikes (Diavel, R1200R, Speed Triple R, Explorer 1200, Kawa !400GTR), I wouldn't want any other bike as it is so exciting to ride and with stock exhaust it sounds great.
I have no other issues with my bike (apart from a faulty starter relay 3 weeks after purchasing (replaced under warranty).
While to Ninja is a great bike, I don't think it will have the excitment of a Super Duke R.
Good Luck........the best part of owning a new bike is "in the hunt for it"

#6 · (Edited)
I had my suspension dialed in at a suspension shop, they couldn't add any preload on the front since it's not easily adjustable but it changed the whole bike entirely. Get some good rubber on there, Metzelers, Dunlop Q3 + or Bridgestone S21, S22 or T31. Lower pressures on your current tires, see if you still get the jitters, most tire places crank the pressures to 40+PSI.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

#5 ·
I have owned the Ninja 1000. Very nice bike once I changed the suspension, seat, screen and added mirror extenders so I could see more than my elbows. Other changes like paint, tail tidy and slip on cans were for looks only. Seat, suspension and mirrors were for function. I enjoyed owning it once I got it to where I wanted it to be.

You could consider the Super Duke GT as an alternative to SDR with luggage. Both are more bike by far than the Ninja and both surprisingly weigh less. The SDGT has some benefits over the SDR too. Electronic suspension, panniers, cruise control and heap of other electronic aids that actually help. A bigger fuel tank and range over the SDR help on the tour side of things.

The OEM screen does buffet a bit, but there are lots of alternatives out there. Madstad have a solution as an example for non 2019 models. The new 2019 screen reportedly has less buffeting than pre '19 models.

There are plenty of other references around the forum for other solutions that work as well. @GaryCulb and @Hammerhead have gone down the windscreen extender / spoiler route with good success. So cheap and viable alternatives are out there for the buffeting. I am 63 years old, 6' tall and the buffeting is not enough of an issue, for me, to change the screen. I have put 42000 km on the big girl in 2.5 years, mostly multi day trips and 700 - 800 km days.

#30 ·
x2 on the SDR GT recommendation...95% SDR (in all the right ways) and as pointed out bit more touring/comfort items for longer trips...my buddy has a GT, I have an SDR (which I ride about 100mi max on, otherwise take my Super Adv S)...my buddy takes his GT on short canyons with me (on SDR) and long trips (on my SA-S)....

#7 ·
LoL I should have added I am short or a tall midget 5'4" solidly built at 160lbs.

I have handled riding the VFR1200 "Most underated bike I ever rode" and a XR650L which I forgot to list both made for 6 footers is the Super Duke tall like that?

I might have more issue with buffeting due to my height. I swore I would never ride another adv style bike after doing a 4500+- 2 week trip on one. I would rather have no faring than go through that again. There is something about the distance from screen to rider and speed ratio that allows the air to start to tumble causing the buffeting, not bad at 40mph but hell at 85mph for hours on end at least on the ride I had and the available screens. .

I have been known to do an Iron Butt Saddlesore 1000 1,000 miles in less than 24 hours.

Doubtful but I will try to find a ride on a GT before I chose something.

My Tuono pushed the air over and around me well but the Buell did not but with a screen added it was fine.

How is the air flow on the Super Duke R are you a sail or does it control the air reasonably well?

There is a Ninja 1000 near me nicely worked over for a fair price right now could be the reasonable choice. It does fit comfortably.
With the Ninja what was your gripe with the suspension? It is the one little bit this guy did not touch.

#14 · (Edited)
There is a Ninja 1000 near me nicely worked over for a fair price right now could be the reasonable choice. It does fit comfortably.
With the Ninja what was your gripe with the suspension? It is the one little bit this guy did not touch.
The 2011 model I had only had a stepped spring preload rear spring, not continuous, the non adjustable compression rates were too soft and the adjustable rebound too weak. So you had either a soggy bouncy ride or a harsh bouncy ride. The later models have a handwheel type spring preload and I understand the compression and rebound rates have been improved. I finished up with an Ohlins rear shock sprung for my 100 kg (220lbs).

I also had to go to a 55 section rear tyre from the stock 50 section and drop the triple clamps about 5mm to get the thing to turn and hold a line. Easy mods with a very big impact on how the bike turns. I would recommend those two little things if you go down that path.

#8 ·
I gave up my large bore ducatis for a fully kitted duke 690 and absolutely loved it. You know the feeling ;-)

That said, my neighbours are on Ultras and a few road trips made me realize I do miss largege v twins so I moved on to a SDR that I’ve added watrproof/lockable storage.

I’m only allowed one bike...otherwise I would have kept it.

The SDR is very familiar coming off the 690 - a little more top heavy only noticeable during low speed maneuvers however all is forgotten with that massive low end torque.
The gearbox is also so very slick.

I’ll be adding Hepco and Becker hard side cases (only 22l) for the longer trips.

I’m 5’8” and I dropped the triple clamps about 10mm as well as added extra sag to lower it a bit.

It’s amazingly comfortable and docile until you crank it ...

#10 ·
I have had a 2015 since new (don't get 14, get 15 or 16). I have ktm panniers but no screen, I am 5.10 in height and although I have no screen I found that I can cruise at high speeds without feeling like my arms are going to be ripped out of their sockets. I think because of the shape of the head light the Ktm1290r pushes the air off your chest. I have done a few 1000k a day rides and get off still feeling good at the end of the day. My bike is standard accept for a DNA airfilter, o2 eliminators and 16T front sprocket. The o2 eliminators and 16T sprocket are cheap mods and transform the bike at low speeds, and of course I have the suspension dialled in for my weight.

#15 ·
The 690 is a bike everyone should own, it and the RD400 would hard to part with as market value is less than my perceived value of ownership. How can live with only one bike?
I couldn't agree more that every should have a 690 duke. They said I received a lot of criticism from fellow bikers and family members buying a “toy” ....”single cylinder”. I previously was on a heavily modified S2R 1000. I didn’t care as the smile on my face every time I rode it was permanent !

I did a lot of research and what did it for me was these older guys that have just about owned everything raving about the 690 Duke. I bought it without a test ride and had no regrets! I reminds me of when I got my first decent mountain bike as a kid - so light and easy in every way.....easy to ride, easy to maintain, easy to pull out and tuck away in the garage ....I also liked the anonymity (I removed the goofy decals)

I personally installed the full EVO kit - air box, full akra wxhaust, camshaft. Had dealer do the map.

As for only one bike, my significant other is not an enabler of my motorcycle addiction ?

#13 ·
I have a 15 SDR. I do some touring on it. Longest to date 4500Km over 10 days with a 3 day stop at World Super Bikes in the middle. Longest day was 850KM and most were about 600Km. I was camping so had camping gear and food as well as clothes and essentials. Had to crank the preload up at the rear to make up for the load I was carrying but the bike had no problems and neither did I. I have done a few other shorter 3 and 4 day trips again camping and carrying everything I need.

I didn't really buy the SDR as a touring bike but it's all I've got so it's what I use and I don't have any complaints using it that way.

I am about 5'8" and can sit with the balls of my feet on the ground.

I use a pair of soft throw over bags, another bag strapped onto the pillion seat and a small tank bag.

Iain

#17 ·
Only really want a touring setup for 2 or 3 weeks out of a year the majority of the year I don't want or need the bulk of a touring bike. Would I often like better wind protection sure but my experience with ADV style wind protection is buffeting and noise. It could be I would be best to buy a $2500 VFR and just flip it after the trip but than again I do want to replace my missing hooligan bikes "Buell 1125 CR, Aprilia Tuono". The Ninja to me seems like the better option for proper road wind protection but I am not sold that it's a bike I want daily.

#19 ·
Just wondering, have you sat on a SuperDuke? I think anyone with less then a 30” inseam might find it too tall. My Son is 5’10” and he thinks it’s just a tad tall, but he will live with it to ride the beast! I’m a tad over 6’ and 265, and it fits me fine except my old joins line the pegs lowere a bit.

#21 ·
I am 5 10, and the GT is slightly tall....but much better than the bike it replaced...an XR.

So I should stick with a Monkey Bike? :oops: 30.6"

32.9" is doable the VFR1200F was 32.1" and had no issue there and I somehow managed the XR650L's 37" not actuall sure how looking back at the specs?

Truth being told no bike is made for short people even the dam Monkey Bike has greater than 30" seat height and travel restricted bikes are crap.

#22 ·
Yes, what troppo said..... I'm 5' 9.5" and I fit the GT ..... just...... so at 5'4" you'll need elton john platform shoes as the seat isn't thick enough to cut down........ although there are suspension lowering kits available now......

:)

PS I never had any buffeting with the oem GT16-18model screen - best was fully lowered, raised was good - as my helmet was always in fresh flowing air. The taller screen I have now is ok, but I've added a small spoiler to raise the airflow up to the top of my helmet from mid visor...... at least the SDGT screen is nice and close to the rider vs those that are way out in front.

#23 ·
I loved the R from the time I got to ride one. If I had one, I'd likely have my driver's license about a month. And then, I'd be hanging bags and screens and seats on it anyway to make it practical (for more than just touring). Just put about 1000 miles on the GT riding bagless in the Rockies. So it works fine for the types of riding I usually do and despite Youtube videos of that dude sliding, wheelieing, stoppieing, and generally abusing a GT, it certainly doesn't encourage that sort of behavior like an R does. The extra weight is insignificant compared to what I've been on the last 12 years.

#27 ·
I never understood peoples obsession with having to be flat footed sitting on their bikes at a stop. I know a guy that lowered his GSXR ruining the handling just so he could flat foot at a stop. Really stupid in my book, riding all you need to do is reach the pegs and if you hang off be able to hook the back of your knee over the seat and hold the peg. Half the time riding you can just balance at stops and don't even need to touch the ground.

#28 · (Edited)
#31 ·
Yeah, seat heights are only part of the story..... the GT seat is wider than the R so it may intrude on the leg angle to ground for vertically challenged riders - I have 32" legs so I fit on ok...... sure you can ride a tall bike with shorter legs...... just have to make sure the terrain you are parking on, or the fuel station pad, or whatever, is as flat as possible for a tired rider with a heavy/loaded bike with a steep side stand angle :D.... it can be done, but it's more challenging on a tall bike (Euro bikes are slightly more awkward than Nipponese bikes so a test ride is vitalo_O).

Hell I nearly slipped over on my SDGT last weekend at a National Park..... the carpark pavement was covered in marble sized seed pellets from the trees, and my foot roller skated as I started to take the weight of the bike....... my life flashed before my eyes as I thought of how much my riding mates would have laughed at the sight of me lying under my SDGT.......... nearly lost it even with 32" legs and one flat foot on ground control......... :eek:

An SDR set up like 2Cati's might be a lot easier for shorter legs due the narrower seat, and there are soft luggage options available. I use the rear rack from an R model on my SDGT as it was all that was available back in 2017.... it works well with a small & a medium top case. Options aplenty these days......

(y)

#37 ·
Ahh, I wasn't going to admit my age...... not 74, not 64, not 54 either...... closing the deal at 61 turning 62 next month........ but still feeling 44.......... :D, thanks in part to a good diet and plenty of exercise, but mostly, I think, mainly due to one of these.............

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.