KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2020 Streetfigher on order. Most likely will be here next month. I been beginning to have some second thoughts about it. I really liked the Panigale V4 when I took it for a test ride but maybe a nake Panigale isn't my best choice. I recently saw a few dyno runs of the V4 Streetfighter and also one for the latest SDR.

Not surprisingly the Duc put down some great numbers and revved to the moon. It bested the SDR by about 10 HP. I think it was 182 to 172. What really got my attention is when they overlayed the dyno runs. The SDR just wasted the Duc at any RPM on the dyno pull all the way until the SDR signed off at about 10,500 rpm. While I couldn't get a exact comparison watching it looked like the SDR was 20-30% stronger from about 4k-9k. Even at redline for the Duke it still had about 10% on the Duc and then it kept revving and pulled ahead.

What was even more interesting is the Duke seemed to rev out better than in the past. Let's just say it got my attention. Whatever KTM did seemed to improve the low and mid AND still let it rev out up top and keeping pulling harder all the way to redline instead of substantially tapering off. It seems like the Duc would be the better track bike but the Duke the better street bike. I have no plans to track it as I have a dedicated track bike (S1000RR) so I don't care about that as much.

If I went with the Duke, I'd give up the electronic Ohlins and 10 HP and the Duke is a bit heavier. The Duc also has a longer warranty (2 years vs 1 year). Two big pluses for the Duke are it has cruise control and a fuel gauge. Why Ducati didn't include those on a 24k bike I don't know. I just spoke to a KTM dealer today and priced out the SDR and it looks like I would save over 6k to boot on the OTD price.

So now I am seriously rethinking my Streetfighter purchase and have a few questions for anyone who has a 2020 1290 SDR (no SDGT need apply). Any regrets about buying the SDR yet? Anyone ride it in really hot weather. I'll be riding it mostly in the South and in hot states. So how is the heat at idle, stopped in traffic on a hot day? Any chestnut roasting going on like if you were riding an Indian? What kind of range are you getting out of a tank? How is the seat if you ride for 8 hours in a day? Anything you'd like to change about it? What are you insurance costs?

At this point, I am seriously leaning toward the SDR and pocketing the 6k or giving some of it back toward a few accessories. I think the Duc is probably the better bike in absolute terms but that would be more obvious on the track. The lack of cruise on the Duc also means I am more likely to get tickets. When stuck on the highway I have a tendency to just keep rolling on the throttle and cruise helps me a lot there. Any feedback is appreciated.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I was pondering the same move and ended up going with the SDR. Coming from a triumph street triple this thing is like a Cadillac when it comes to comfort. Live in Texas so know all about the heat. Chestnuts are fine. If anything gets hot it’s the ankles as you stand at a light. Just hit 1100 miles and live the bike overall.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Shane. How much does insurance run for you? I just checked with Geico and either one is going to run me $709 a year. I have 250 comp, 1000 collision for deductibles. It breaks down for $159 policy coverage and $550 for the bike part. I have a great driving record. By comparison, my 1260 Multistrada is $291 yr ($96/$195). So Geico must think people are going to crash the heck out of these things. Just for grins, I ran the insurance on a Panigale V4 and the exact same price. Any one of these will be as much to insure as 3 of my other bikes put together. I am sort of shocked it is that high. Might have to look around for a better rate.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you are interested...........I have a 2015 SDR (bought new in 2018) and have ridden it in some very hot days........35+ C and I haven't had a problem with the heat.........but I'm wearing proper riding pants so that helps......jeans or shorts would be a definite no no .......major heat problems I'm sure.
I would expect the Street Fighter to have way better handling on the road than the SDR.......I am really dispappointed in my bike's handling and I often compare it to my old Speed Triple R (with Ohlins) that was so much better than my SDR............others on this Forum however have said they don't have a problem with the handling......
I have recently changed my stock seat to an Ergo Power Parts seat and found some imnprovement in comfort...........its gone from a 6 out 10 to a 7.5.....but don't expect to have the ability to ride all day without needing regular stops to freshen up your bum.
I doubt that you are going to notice the difference in hp between a SDR and Street Fighter............but you will notice the difference in torque ...and that's where the biggest thrill comes from.........
As you will spend most of your road riding between 4000 - 9000 the answer to which bike is already in your own words above..........
You could spend some of the $6k saved by buying a SDR, on upgrading the SDR's suspension if you felt it necessary down the track..............
The SDR has been progressively enhanced over the last 6 years ....whereas the Street Fighter's V4 is relatively new and maybe yet not fully proven.........
My SDR has only 13,000kms on the clock and apart from an early problem with a starter relay is proving very reliable (touch wood)..........
I get around 300-330km's (188 -206miles) per tank.............
My SDR is an exciting bike to bike..........great engine, great sound, very good brakes, reasonable comnfort and light weight and easy to push around in the garage
Good luck..........

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Shane. How much does insurance run for you? I just checked with Geico and either one is going to run me $709 a year. I have 250 comp, 1000 collision for deductibles. It breaks down for $159 policy coverage and $550 for the bike part. I have a great driving record. By comparison, my 1260 Multistrada is $291 yr ($96/$195). So Geico must think people are going to crash the heck out of these things. Just for grins, I ran the insurance on a Panigale V4 and the exact same price. Any one of these will be as much to insure as 3 of my other bikes put together. I am sort of shocked it is that high. Might have to look around for a better rate.
I switch to progressive from Geico awhile back and added this to existing policy with 3 other bikes and mind you my 21 year old son is on the policy and insured on all of them. So it went up 40 a month not quite as high as your other bike but still not cheap. Also on the guy speaking about the handling of an older model. They are not the same. I rode and owned several KTM dirt bikes so I was a bit of a fan. Kids first street was the 390 duke and the 2020 was the first that I considered for my self. As far as the exhaust I have an Austin racing slip on that arrives tomorrow as I really don’t see spending 3k for a ful system.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Think I watched that same dyno video, @Day Trippin . What impressed was the ability of the SD to almost match the HP numbers of the Ducati and doing so with roughly half the RPM. This is impressive and so much better for a street bike. What were the torque comparisons ... suspect the SD beats there handily, especially near the bottom and mid-range. Some don't but we must consider the cost of ownership - think of all those little valves to work on with a desmo, two cylinders used to cost a small fortune on a Ducati!
Both are pretty cool bikes tho - this is coming from one of the earliest V-twin Ducati owners/road racers. I bleed green/white/red.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I currently have a ‘19 Panigale V4S, a ‘19 Tuono Factory and a ‘20 SDR and have previously owned 1199, 1299 and S1000RR. I always prefer Italian bikes but the SDR is absolutely the best, most riotous sports bike I have ridden on the street. Everything about it is phenomenal. Wild when you want to be, subdued when you just want to relax. The torque is astonishing and makes the SDR feel faster than my V4S in real world usage. I’m getting about 145 miles before the reserve warning with spirited riding. I really don’t miss the electronic suspension from my other bikes. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t feel it makes a massive difference. The bike is wonderful to work on too.

I think the streetfighter will suffer from the same problem the V4S has on the street. It’s a great bike but you need to be really on it to enjoy it and by that time you are in triple digits. I do think the new V4 platform, although objectively better, loses the torquey excitement of the 1299. Then there’s the wings. I have no idea what they were thinking with the design of those for a street bike. Cruise should’ve been included. I don’t miss the fuel gauge on my bikes that don’t have it...just use the trip. I was all ready to buy the streetfighter when it was rumored but it didn’t quite meet my expectations when it was revealed, aesthetically or in terms of performance.

I‘d buy the SDR. Budget the extra $750 for the Tech pack.

Hope this gives some help from someone who also bleeds green, white and red (factory tour of Bologna and visited Noale).

·
Registered
239 Posts
With the price difference between your Streetfighter and an SDR, I would personally go for the SDR and put carbon wheels on there. It's a very expensive item but saving around 9lbs on rotational mass is nothing to sniff at. Will help with fuel consumption too.

The SDR is an absolute hoot to ride because it's so accessible. Very broad power curve means chuck it in third and forget about it. The nuclear power plant that is the engine can handle anything, any load, anywhere. Muscle everywhere.

The seat. This is a bit of a problem for hours long rides. Your butt basically becomes two pressure points directly underneath where your leg connects to your pelvis (the fat part of the femur next to the acetabulum) and this hurts after a while. Maybe that's just me. I am very low in bodyfat, so no cushion in the rear exit area.

For me personally, that's the one and only gripe I have about the comfort of the SDR. Everywhere else, my lanky 6'1 frame with long limbs fits very well on it.

I can't comment on insurance. Different countries and all. Mine costs €25 a month for liability & theft.

As soon as you're on the move, heat issues dissapear. At stoplights you're obviously going to notice it and even then it's not unbearably hot. My R1 ran hotter.. but that was enclosed in fairings.

I have no experience on the 2020 SDR, this is just speaking from the 2017 model.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Very helpful. I did check the KTM website and it says the warranty is for 12 months or 12k miles for the SDR bit for the SDGT it is 24/24. I do have some concerns about that as the PDF info references 2017 bikes.

Per that same document, the covered items are really quite limited. Here is a quote.

tated above.
PARTS COVERED BY THE WARRANTY
lll.
•This warranty covers only the engine, frame and swingarm. No other components of the motorcycle are covered by any warranty, expressed or implied and are sold “as is”. The frame is defined under this warranty as the main frame only of the motorcycle. The engine is defined under this warranty as parts, which are housed within the engine crankcase, including shafts, gears, and shifting mechanism. In addition to the engine crankcase, the warranty covers the crankshaft and ignition system. KTM North America, Inc. will repair or replace, at its option, any of these parts that are found to be defective in material or workmanship subject to the limitations of this warranty.

Is this really accurate?This means all the electronics pretty much aren't covered. What a crappy warranty if accurate. On my BMWs it was for 3 years and covered pretty much everything but wear items.

In general I think the bike will be a better fit and I can always enjoy the torque. Something that was awesome about the vtwin Ducatis I have now. The warranty though is definitely an issue so I will call KTM on Monday and get more info.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I absolutely love the seating position on the SDR, you can tuck comfortably when you want but also extremely comfortable for around town riding and maneuvering, the bike "flicks like a dirtbike" at slower speeds, up to about 60 mph,and the torque is unbelievable through the WHOLE rpm range. Low speed riding and control in traffic is fantastic, I have to say this is the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time!! Every time I ride it I get an ear to ear grin, and the speed shifting is Tha Sh!t!! You definitely want to get the performance pack, I got them to throw it in free with the deal at the time of purchase. 👍 This bike handles WAY different/better than previous models, so don't be concerned with that, at speed, this thing is a demon, in a good way, and the electronics are spot on, a quick "slipon" exchange completes the bike for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback so far. Very helpful. I did check the KTM website and it says the warranty is for 12 months or 12k miles for the SDR bit for the SDGT it is 24/24.
My mistake, you are correct, 12 months. I also believe you are correct in that it doesn’t cover everything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, what a crappy warranty. Maybe an extended one will cover more.

The slip-on looks nice. Does it delete the cats at all? How loud is it?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I absolutely love the seating position on the SDR, you can tuck comfortably when you want but also extremely comfortable for around town riding and maneuvering, the bike "flicks like a dirtbike" at slower speeds, up to about 60 mph,and the torque is unbelievable through the WHOLE rpm range. Low speed riding and control in traffic is fantastic, I have to say this is the most fun I've had on a bike in a long time!! Every time I ride it I get an ear to ear grin, and the speed shifting is Tha Sh!t!! You definitely want to get the performance pack, I got them to throw it in free with the deal at the time of purchase. 👍 This bike handles WAY different/better than previous models, so don't be concerned with that, at speed, this thing is a demon, in a good way, and the electronics are spot on, a quick "slipon" exchange completes the bike for me!
Agree with everything that was said here. Dealer will work with you on the tech pack install as well. Bike OTD was just under 20k. And as far as flick able it handles every bit as well as my street triple and that bike was super flick able
I have that same exhaust coming with orange tip.
I added the evotech tail tidy and radiator guard
Motoblaze rear signals and Rizoma ones for the front
Also Moto gadget bar end mirrors( factory ones vibrate at speed and Moto gadget ones are amazing!!! Had those on STR that o moved over.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Buy Ducati V4S. SDR 20 has this hideous exhaust that makes it an ugly duck. And if you fit Akra, your turn signals will stop working.
This was the reason I almost bought a streetfighter v4s, the 20 SDR is not very attractive with the stock exhaust BUT then I saw the Austin racing full exhaust system I bought my SDR yesterday. Exhaust is on order 😃

Btw the 20SDR looks WAY better in person than in pics even with stock exhaust, especially the black model.

To the original poster. The bike has gobs of torque everywhere! So much more satisfying that a peaky race motor. It just lurches forward at any rpm, especially with track throttle setting on.

Can't go wrong either way though. If you're doing more canyon carving than city riding, the Ducati is probably a bit better. But for a mix of city/canyons/cruising, I don't think you can compete with the LC8 motor!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This has all been very helpful. Between this forum and the dyno plots it has helped me focus on what will be the most fun for me. I realize retuning the Panigale motor for the SF can make it a better street bike, it still might be too biased toward the track to enjoy in normal street riding. I have a BMW S1000RR and the S1000XR. The XR doesn't make near as much HP as the RR but it is probably quicker to 100 than the RR. It definitely feels torquier but until about 7k is when it really hits its stride. But what happens is I spend most of my time riding once of my v-twin Ducatis because they still hard up top but have soooo much torque down low you can just twist and go at almost any rpm.

So based on my riding style, and I'll be 100% on the street with this bike I have decided to go with the SDR. So would like some input on what mods you've found useful so far.

Is the slip on worth it or is the full exhaust worth the investment? Anybody make a decent fly screen? I plan on getting the tech pack. Probably will add the heated grips (they should have been standard). Anything else worth considering? I thought about a lithium ion battery as I have them in most of my bikes. Nice weight savings and seem to spin over much better.

How are the stock headlights at night? Anyone buy the alarm? I may be riding to California and it might help there when I stay with family.

I still have some concerns about how limited the warranty is so will check extended ones and see if they will cover the things the factory one doesn't in the first year.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the missenden flyer on YouTube reviewed the ‘19 and specifically called out the headlights as the best he had seen. Like a car’s headlights. Also backlit controls are amazing at night.

I’m with you on the Ducati twins. Traded my 1299S in for a V4S and wish I could trade back. The V4 is a great bike but feel sanitized and sterile compared with the 1299.

·
Registered
880 Posts
After my 2015 was totaled i replaced it with a leftover 2016 se. I traded a speed triple in on the first one and the sdr is in a different league. 1-3 are short so it doesn’t buck at low rpm there, 4th is great from 40-120 mph on the road and gives good engine braking going into turns hot. Tires make a big difference because the front is so light there isn’t a lot of feedback, on the other hand I can correct my line mid turn and left to right is a treat. I pay $300 annually for full with $500 ded. I bought the powerparts seat for the 2015 for around $225 and I do 250-400 mile days painlessly. Legroom is great. The pp seat does raise me an inch so at 5’8” I can only get 1 foot down at lights. Easy as a dirt bike to push around the garage and last week I went out with a sb group, my buddy and me the old guys were told at the beginning that they would wait for us in the straits, lol...we were 3&4 in a group of a dozen and the two in front never gained any distance though there was a good 20 bike gap to the next bike behind us. So yea the sdr with its balance feels different in the corners but I’m used to it and these track day sport bik guys didn’t keep up in the tight and especially not the high speed turns. 16,000 miles on this one around 15k on the 2015 and no trouble but a batch of radiators that needed the top rail sealed. What else? Oh yea if you can wait til the 21’s come out you’ll save even more money

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did you do anything as far as mapping with the slip on? Or is KTM like my triumph where you let it warm up until fan kicks on and the Ecu adjusts on its own?
Thanks

1 - 20 of 112 Posts