KTM Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to get the Track Pack for my 2016 690 Duke and dealers around Chicago don't seem to know much about it. I don't suppose this is something I can do myself, or is it? Any recommend shops I should check?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Trying to get the Track Pack for my 2016 690 Duke and dealers around Chicago don't seem to know much about it. I don't suppose this is something I can do myself, or is it? Any recommend shops I should check?
Track package is just a software download and flash to the bike. No actual hardware required. There is a dongle that some people get that saves the settings when you shut off the bike. It is not required though. Must be done at dealer, no diy solution.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
190 Posts
I use MCC in Villa Park. They did the reflash on mine, after I installed the cam a couple years ago. No issues and charged me 1/2 hour labor time. Just had my ground cable recall done there too. No charge.

Geoff and Greg Mellinger are the owners, good guys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Optional Track Pack dongle

Track package is just a software download and flash to the bike. No actual hardware required. There is a dongle that some people get that saves the settings when you shut off the bike. It is not required though. Must be done at dealer, no diy solution.
If I understand you correctly, if I don't install the optional dongle when I install the Track Pack software, everytime I turn the bike off, the software map will revert back to "standard"; when I turn the key back on, I would have to then re-select the mode (Sport or Rain or TC or MSR) that I want to ride in again. Have I got this right?

My dealer has never installed the Track Pack kit before, so I'll be the ginny pig.

·
Registered
116 Posts
If I understand you correctly, if I don't install the optional dongle when I install the Track Pack software, everytime I turn the bike off, the software map will revert back to "standard"; when I turn the key back on, I would have to then re-select the mode (Sport or Rain or TC or MSR) that I want to ride in again. Have I got this right?

My dealer has never installed the Track Pack kit before, so I'll be the ginny pig.
On my UK-spec 2017 690 (I think 2016 is pretty much the same), Track Pack lets me alter the throttle (rain, street or sport--like a quick action twistgrip), ABS (on, supermoto or off) and TC/MSR (on or off). TC/MSR resets to "on" when I restart the engine, and so does ABS.

The throttle stays at rain, street or sport until I change it.

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
On my UK-spec 2017 690 (I think 2016 is pretty much the same), Track Pack lets me alter the throttle (rain, street or sport--like a quick action twistgrip), ABS (on, supermoto or off) and TC/MSR (on or off). TC/MSR resets to "on" when I restart the engine, and so does ABS.

The throttle stays at rain, street or sport until I change it.
I've not actually tried mine yet but i believe you're correct.

The dongle is a generic ABS dongle for many KTMs, not a setting dongle for all options, just ABS mode.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had an appointment today that I made on monday to get the track pack installed. I brought my bike in at 930 this morning to find out the guy at Carl's cycle never even put me down my appointment or anything but they said they could still do it. Around 11 the guy called and told me that since my 690 duke is a 2017 they have to put a dongle on it that it is required and I will have to pay an extra $125 plus labor on top of the $250 plus labor he said after taxes it will be close to $600 dollars I agreed because it was already there and I figured they already got started. After the call att 11am I dont hear anything from them all day so I decided to call the at 530 to see if my bike was ready since they close at 6pm come to find out they had not done anything they said that they ordered the track pack and were still waiting for it and they not sure when my bike will be done. Has this happened to anyone else and is the service guy charging me extra for a dongle that us not required??

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
The Dongle is nothing to do with the track pack. The dongle is the ABS dongle and fits many KTMs. This allows you to retain the ABS settings, so you can have it turned on, off, front, back, supermoto, etc... If you don't have the dongle then you cannot retain the ABS settings and need to set them each time you turn on the ignition.

However, this has nothing to do with the track pack. The track pack gives 3 power modes, along with Traction control and MSR (Motor Slip Regulation). It does also give you the ability to change the ABS modes.... but not retain them :)

Phew, how's that ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Dongle is nothing to do with the track pack. The dongle is the ABS dongle and fits many KTMs. This allows you to retain the ABS settings, so you can have it turned on, off, front, back, supermoto, etc... If you don't have the dongle then you cannot retain the ABS settings and need to set them each time you turn on the ignition.

However, this has nothing to do with the track pack. The track pack gives 3 power modes, along with Traction control and MSR (Motor Slip Regulation). It does also give you the ability to change the ABS modes.... but not retain them :)

Phew, how's that ?
good yeah i didnt really know the service guy from carls cycles called me about two hours after i dropped it off and told me that i had to get the dongle or they would not be able to install the track pack on my bike without it. It wouanother $125 dollars plus labor on top of the $250 plus labor that they were already charging me so now the bill is around 600 dollars which i think sounds pretty high. They have had my bike since 930 this morning and have yet to do anything they said they were still waiting on the order which i also feel is kinda wierd that it would take so long for them to access computer software alot of threads i have read said there track pack were installed anywhere from ten min to a couple hrs. As of now the service guy couldnt even tell me or estimate how long they will have my bike

·
Super Moderator
447 Posts
good yeah i didnt really know the service guy from carls cycles called me about two hours after i dropped it off and told me that i had to get the dongle or they would not be able to install the track pack on my bike without it. It wouanother $125 dollars plus labor on top of the $250 plus labor that they were already charging me so now the bill is around 600 dollars which i think sounds pretty high. They have had my bike since 930 this morning and have yet to do anything they said they were still waiting on the order which i also feel is kinda wierd that it would take so long for them to access computer software alot of threads i have read said there track pack were installed anywhere from ten min to a couple hrs. As of now the service guy couldnt even tell me or estimate how long they will have my bike
My dude... the Trackpack has been discontinued across North America since March 2019. KTM pulled access to anyone uploading the software so it will be a miracle if your dealer is able to get it. In fact if they do please let me know and I'll trailer my bike down too!

There are an abundance of threads floating around on suspicions why they would pull it with most of the conspiracy theories sourcing back to the $20M lawsuit Harley faced by the US (California?) government on their tuning packages available. KTM got cold feet and pulled everything with the Trackpacks but only on the 690 Dukes. Can still get them for the 790, 1290 Superdukes.

My 2018 350EXC was supposed to have traction control and (2) map switches and low and behold... nothing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll be shocked if you get it. Thoughts are its discontinuted in US
yeah they called me back today and told me that they cant do it. A guy from moto one said they can do it on the enduro for sure and he thinks that they can still do it on the 2017 Duke 690s but im not going to hold my breath kinda glad carls cycles said the bill was going to be around 600 dollars after everything so im just going to use the 600 to buy other stuff for it i just ordered a booster plug i had one on my 390 and i liked it also probably going to oped the air box and maybe do a exhaust not jumping the gun on that only heard maybe 2 exhaust that made the bike sound noticably diffrent all the others sound like the stock and i read the stock one as more then enough flow so yeah but i will let you guys know if moto one can find a way to do the track pack

·
Super Moderator
1,990 Posts
yeah they called me back today and told me that they cant do it. A guy from moto one said they can do it on the enduro for sure and he thinks that they can still do it on the 2017 Duke 690s but im not going to hold my breath kinda glad carls cycles said the bill was going to be around 600 dollars after everything so im just going to use the 600 to buy other stuff for it i just ordered a booster plug i had one on my 390 and i liked it also probably going to oped the air box and maybe do a exhaust not jumping the gun on that only heard maybe 2 exhaust that made the bike sound noticably diffrent all the others sound like the stock and i read the stock one as more then enough flow so yeah but i will let you guys know if moto one can find a way to do the track pack
I dont care, i'm in the UK
;)

2019-10-10_04-45-01 by Steve Weeks, on Flickr

1 - 15 of 15 Posts