KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talking 17+ model Super Duke, I have the performance pack which I got mainly for the quickshifter, but am wondering lately if the track pack is worth the cost, how often do you use it, I am not looking to take the Super Duke to the track but wonder if it adds a level of fun?
The following functions are available once this has been activated by your authorized KTM dealer:
"Track" mode
Anti-wheelie mode off
Launch control
Traction control slip adjust
Throttle response

How much does the throttle response change?
Any thoughts from owners with the track pack appreciated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have it on my stock 17 and yes there is a difference but its not lifting up in every gear like in the promo adverts
maybe when i fit the full akra system and modify airbox

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have it on my stock 17 and yes there is a difference but its not lifting up in every gear like in the promo adverts
maybe when i fit the full akra system and modify airbox
Paul how often do you use track mode, do you keep it in all the time? Do you adjust the TC or find standard TC fine? If you had the option again would you buy it or leave it?
I'm not interested in launch control but interested to hear your thoughts on the adjustable TC, anti wheelie off setting and track throttle response?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Paul how often do you use track mode, do you keep it in all the time? Do you adjust the TC or find standard TC fine? If you had the option again would you buy it or leave it?
I'm not interested in launch control but interested to hear your thoughts on the adjustable TC, anti wheelie off setting and track throttle response?
when iam out for the day i leave it in all the time
i turn TC off and set throttle response to track
i had a 16t front sprocket on but gone back to stock 17t reason being 1st and 2nd gear where wiped out
my power wheelies are gentle ones which hoover above the ground for a short distance and thats the way i like it usually hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear
i dont use launch control either it leaves the lights fast enough
its very easy to ride steady aswell about town
i think when i fit the akra system and open filter with it mapped it will make a difference again
saying all that i have no regrets installing it and love riding the bike
hope this helps

·
Registered
114 Posts
Talking 17+ model Super Duke, I have the performance pack which I got mainly for the quickshifter, but am wondering lately if the track pack is worth the cost, how often do you use it, I am not looking to take the Super Duke to the track but wonder if it adds a level of fun?
The following functions are available once this has been activated by your authorized KTM dealer:
"Track" mode
Anti-wheelie mode off
Launch control
Traction control slip adjust
Throttle response

How much does the throttle response change?
Any thoughts from owners with the track pack appreciated.
I have the Track Pack, 2017 model, and keep it in that mode with all the nanny systems off for every day riding. When the rain really comes down in buckets, I have switched it to Rain mode, but only a couple of times.

Throttle response in Track mode is more aggressive, front wheel comes airborne with ease all the way through 4th gear, and it requires a little finesse on throttle application when exiting tight turns. Grab too much throttle and the back wheel will slide out, and in my case, almost high sided it! I don't have a lot of experience sliding the rear wheel on asphalt so that is going to take some practice, but very comfortable on dirt after years of motocross, enduro and hare scrambles.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the detailed responses @Paul65 and @siswati. Gives me something to think about.
One major PITA is having to turn everything back off after fuelling or turning the bike off, as I understand it in track mode it retains your settings, anyways thanks for the info

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for the detailed responses @Paul65 and @siswati. Gives me something to think about.
One major PITA is having to turn everything back off after fuelling or turning the bike off, as I understand it in track mode it retains your settings, anyways thanks for the info
No, unlike on the Duke 690, you do not have to re-set it every time on the SDR. Just set it to your preferences and when you switch on to ride, it is in your desired setting. Much better than on the 690

·
Registered
38 Posts
when iam out for the day i leave it in all the time
i turn TC off and set throttle response to track
i had a 16t front sprocket on but gone back to stock 17t reason being 1st and 2nd gear where wiped out
my power wheelies are gentle ones which hoover above the ground for a short distance and thats the way i like it usually hard acceleration in 2nd and 3rd gear
i dont use launch control either it leaves the lights fast enough
its very easy to ride steady aswell about town
i think when i fit the akra system and open filter with it mapped it will make a difference again
saying all that i have no regrets installing it and love riding the bike
hope this helps
I'm interested in the front sprocket change but won't high jack the thread until I give you my two cents worth on the trackpack. I only bought it to tunr off anti-wheelie. The TC gets left on its highest setting and as yet hasn't kicked in. most likely due to my girls internals on corner exit!!! I use the track mode throttle setting to aid getting the front wheel air born. I never tried to wheelie any of my previous roads bikes (not bad with a crosser) but this thing brings out the worst in me!!
Launch control is ace!! Th front wheel hovers about a foot off the ground for ever!!!!!

The sprocket change. Can I ask if it helped 5 & 6 gear on the freeway? I would like to make some kind of change in gearing. Appologies to the OP for asking questions in his thread.

ATB,
Hoggy

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the track pack in my Bike, but have not applied it! Sports mode had been ok for me as on now! I switched to KTM 1290 SDR from Ducati diavel and found that the acceleration and high speed riding is better in the Diavel.

I have the Austin racing slip on exhaust! I think i will get a better ride-ability when i install after market tune & Decat. The same happened to my Ducati, when i changed to Tuneboy, the bike happened to be totally different from the stock.

Interesting comments from @Paul65 and @siwati, will try track pack soon! Iam really thankful to the the dealer who gave this track pack for free!!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the track pack in my Bike, but have not applied it! Sports mode had been ok for me as on now! I switched to KTM 1290 SDR from Ducati diavel and found that the acceleration and high speed riding is better in the Diavel.

I have the Austin racing slip on exhaust! I think i will get a better ride-ability when i install after market tune & Decat. The same happened to my Ducati, when i changed to Tuneboy, the bike happened to be totally different from the stock.

Interesting comments from @Paul65 and @siwati, will try track pack soon! Iam really thankful to the the dealer who gave this track pack for free!!!
I was looking at buying a Diavel instead of the KTM. I didn't manage to test ride one. "better in the Diavel" Did you mean "better than the Diavel"? Not having a go at you, I'm you interested in which bike has better performance.

Cheers

·
Registered
60 Posts
So far i found diavel has the better acceleration than the ktm1290sdr! and the diavel is stable in high speeds.( maybe because of 240 rear).

Also wind resistance is very good in the diavel

Maybe the Ktm will improve after market tune and decat.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So far i found diavel has the better acceleration than the ktm1290sdr! and the diavel is stable in high speeds.( maybe because of 240 rear).

Also wind resistance is very good in the diavel

Maybe the Ktm will improve after market tune and decat.
I had a Monster 1200S & it has better acceleration than my 2018 SDR , but the SDR much more comfortable at high speed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi, guys!
Please advise how to use launch control in a proper way. I chose Launch control option ON, but I slill make wheely on start. Maybe it's because Anti wheely mde is OFF?

Shortly saying, Anti-wheely mode must be activated together with Launch control for a perfect start, correct?
Thanks!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Hi, guys!
Please advise how to use launch control in a proper way. I chose Launch control option ON, but I slill make wheely on start. Maybe it's because Anti wheely mde is OFF?

Shortly saying, Anti-wheely mode must be activated together with Launch control for a perfect start, correct?
Thanks!
Launch control is only available once your bike has had its first service
Its really difficult to do a FULL LAUNCH CONTROL, because every fiber in your body says that if you peg the throttle, you are going over backwards, but when you man-up and give it a try, it is quite a rush
First make sure Anti Wheelie Mode is ON
Then put bike into Launch Control, Peg the throttle, and release the clutch keeping two fingers on the clutch to modulate if necessary, but DO NOT Modulate throttle.
Peg the throttle and GO, Fight the temptation to roll off the throttle as this will disable Launch Control
Keep left foot under gear lever as you will red-line it before you know it so be ready to grab 2nd gear almost immediately. Quickshifter will allow you to do fully pegged up shifts
With Launch Control activated, Anti Wheelie Mode ON, you will carry the front wheel a few inches above the ground (feels like its a foot off the ground but isnt really) until you get to 5th gear.
Scary fast, but I sense that you might be faster without LC, as you can detect the intrusion of the software managing the front wheel and the acceleration
SO if you are really skilled I think you might find it faster managing clutch, throttle and brake manually

·
Registered
20 Posts
Launch control is only available once your bike has had its first service
Its really difficult to do a FULL LAUNCH CONTROL, because every fiber in your body says that if you peg the throttle, you are going over backwards, but when you man-up and give it a try, it is quite a rush
First make sure Anti Wheelie Mode is ON
Then put bike into Launch Control, Peg the throttle, and release the clutch keeping two fingers on the clutch to modulate if necessary, but DO NOT Modulate throttle.
Peg the throttle and GO, Fight the temptation to roll off the throttle as this will disable Launch Control
Keep left foot under gear lever as you will red-line it before you know it so be ready to grab 2nd gear almost immediately. Quickshifter will allow you to do fully pegged up shifts
With Launch Control activated, Anti Wheelie Mode ON, you will carry the front wheel a few inches above the ground (feels like its a foot off the ground but isnt really) until you get to 5th gear.
Scary fast, but I sense that you might be faster without LC, as you can detect the intrusion of the software managing the front wheel and the acceleration
SO if you are really skilled I think you might find it faster managing clutch, throttle and brake manually
Thanks for detailed explanation!
I will follow your advise. Looks like I faild due to Anti-wheely mode was off.
Anyway, having all this features (tracktion control, launch control, ABS that allows to bracking agressivly during cornering, etc/) SDR is very very good on track! It is very easy to turn, brackes with floating disks are so strong and allow to start braking much closer to turns.
I am not very experienced on racetrack, but with SDR I've cut couple of seconds from my best time (previsly I've owned BMW s1000rr 2011).

·
Registered
114 Posts
Thanks for detailed explanation!
I will follow your advise. Looks like I faild due to Anti-wheely mode was off.
Anyway, having all this features (tracktion control, launch control, ABS that allows to bracking agressivly during cornering, etc/) SDR is very very good on track! It is very easy to turn, brackes with floating disks are so strong and allow to start braking much closer to turns.
I am not very experienced on racetrack, but with SDR I've cut couple of seconds from my best time (previsly I've owned BMW s1000rr 2011).
Congrats on lowering your times. Build speed and confidence slowly, step by step. I have spent a bit of time on a 2018 S1000RR, and I would consider the beemer as a more docile predictable (and a somehwat boring) mistress, one that allows you to get to her limits quite quickly. However the 1290SDR is just the way I like my mistresses, a little manic, a little unhinged and definitely not predictable or boring. That being said, that type of personality definitely encourages you to ride her quite a lot harder, and maybe a little bit more recklessly, so as I say, work up to it step by step.

I absolutely LOVE my SDR

·
Registered
211 Posts
I always ride in Track mode as I find throttle response better than Sport. TC set to 5 but I'm still exploring it.
I do as well. I see no point in having the R model and not purchasing track mode for it. It's like freezer burn, jumbo shrimp, etc. It becomes an oxymoron.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I always ride in Track mode as I find throttle response better than Sport. TC set to 5 but I'm still exploring it.
Ride in Track Mode, ABS, and AWM off! Love to slide the rear on entry to corners, but I am still too lame to slide it in Supermoto style. And of course with this bike I just love the front wheel in the air. Installed a tank handle so my wife had a better grip when we wheelie. She has turned out to be a really great passenger, despite only getting onto bikes in the last few years.

Only switched the mode selector to RAIN once in a torrential downpour, the rest of the time it stays in track mode even in the rain. Had a few moments but it keeps me on my toes and refines my skills.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts