KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking to get the Open Flash Tablet eventually and wondering a few things -

1. How supportive is their service? I tried emailing them but it’s been a week and no response, so hoping maybe that’s a fluke.

2. Can I take the tablet to my local tuner and have him use it to create a custom map? I read something about them having software I could download that would let me customize maps, but it’s not on their official site.

3. Unrelated, but which intake should I utilize? I like that DNA keeps the ram air tubes. How does the Motohooligan stack up against it? I don’t want to see any loss in the lower part of the rpm range. My main concern.

·
Registered
14 Posts
1. How supportive is their service? I tried emailing them but it’s been a week and no response, so hoping maybe that’s a fluke.
They can definitely be slow to respond in my experience. If that is important to you, you might want to look into bren tuning. I've heard they're more responsive.

2. Can I take the tablet to my local tuner and have him use it to create a custom map? I read something about them having software I could download that would let me customize maps, but it’s not on their official site.
Yeah, you can have your tuner make custom maps for you at no extra cost. Haven't had it done myself, but it's a feature.

3. Unrelated, but which intake should I utilize? I like that DNA keeps the ram air tubes. How does the Motohooligan stack up against it? I don’t want to see any loss in the lower part of the rpm range. My main concern.
I haven't done an intake yet myself, but I'm leaning toward the rottweiler system. I liked the motohooligan too, but I read something about the K&N filter that goes on it is basically only intended for race use. VERY free flowing, check this thread Motohooligan intake. I'm more comfortable with the Rottweiler setup as I know it can be oiled and the foam seems like it would filter better. From what I've seen you don't really lose low end power/torque on any intake system unless you use really short stacks (less than 80mm). I'm not really familiar with the DNA setup, so can't help you there.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow man thanks so much for your help. I really don’t want to sacrifice that filtering either, too bad the Rotty is so much more expensive! I suppose I’ll just pick up this tablet ahead of time and then I’ll have it when I get the rest of my parts and break in the bike

·
Registered
14 Posts
Wow man thanks so much for your help. I really don’t want to sacrifice that filtering either, too bad the Rotty is so much more expensive! I suppose I’ll just pick up this tablet ahead of time and then I’ll have it when I get the rest of my parts and break in the bike
Yeah, quite a bit more when you consider the motohooligan box comes with velocity stacks. I think I'll end up going stage 1 rotty and just cut the stock stacks down to 80mm. The flashtablet is pretty pricey too, but I think it's worth it. My bike runs way better with it and that's just with their off the shelf tune.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have the OFT and it has always taken at least 24 hours to a week get a response
from them I knew this going in but still choose them over the Bren Tuning for a few
reasons.

1 You get 4 Maps ( I still only have 3)
2 You can edit the maps they are not locked you have access to change
settings like the throttle response.
3 You can unlock the tablet from your bike by reloading your stock map
so you can sell the Tablet or use it on a new bike that you own. But it is
Locked for use on only one bike at a time.

The tablet was out of stock so it took a few weeks to show up. When I did
get it I sent my stock map to them I got just a stage 2 OFT tune from them
24 hours later. I wrote them explaining that I choose them because of the 4
maps I was suppose to get and the .xdf file so I could edit the maps no
response for 36 Hours so I wrote the same thing again to them 24 hours
later they sent 2 more tunes the Akra and the OFT stage 3 and the .xdf
file. I wrote them again asking for the OFT stage 1 Tune they responded
saying they needed to tweak it and it would be ready in a week or two.
After no response for another 3 weeks I wrote them again asking for the
stage 1 tune response was due to Covid they are having issues getting
Dyno time so its been approx 8-9 weeks and I still do not have the stage 1
tune.

Using the tablet has not been an issue I have not tried data logging yet but
it has worked as far as reading and erasing error codes. I have just started
to play around with changing the throttle maps I increased the throttle settings
on the track map and it loaded and worked no problem. I need to go more direct
and see what happens you can set it to a direct one to one ratio if you want.
If you have ever used Tuner Pro that is the program that allows me access to
the Maps to modify them if you have a tuner they can change them as well.
I went light on the 1st try with the Throttle response because it's said that a one
to one throttle response on this bike makes it almost impossible to ride I need
to try that out.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, great response that’s about everything I wanted to know, so thank you. I’m going to go with the OFT pretty much just for the end user freedom.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Just seeing this post. We talked on DM about the Flash tune stuff so here is my 2 cents on the airbox side: Ive tried both. Rotty and Motohooligan. I started with the Rottweiler box. After 1500 miles I noticed fine foam particulate residue INSIDE near my throttle bodies. I had the foam element well-oiled properly...but it was then I thought that maybe this set up was not ideal for this motor. It breathes....HEAVY. I think a little too much intake for that filter to handle. There is nothing special about it. Its like many dirtbike filters ive seen prior and tbh it did inspire me with confidence that it sealed well.
After that, I sold it and bought a Motohooligan. Super happy with it, its extremely well-built from billet, seals well and my intakes have remained clean inside.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ah dude, killer info. So you noticed that particles of the foam itself was sort of getting sucked down the intake? I’ve always run foam filters in my atvs because they generally filtered better than paper, but that is only in a pure dust environment. I suppose on the road you dint have to worry about that as much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just seeing this post. We talked on DM about the Flash tune stuff so here is my 2 cents on the airbox side: Ive tried both. Rotty and Motohooligan. I started with the Rottweiler box. After 1500 miles I noticed fine foam particulate residue INSIDE near my throttle bodies. I had the foam element well-oiled properly...but it was then I thought that maybe this set up was not ideal for this motor. It breathes....HEAVY. I think a little too much intake for that filter to handle. There is nothing special about it. Its like many dirtbike filters ive seen prior and tbh it did inspire me with confidence that it sealed well.
After that, I sold it and bought a Motohooligan. Super happy with it, its extremely well-built from billet, seals well and my intakes have remained clean inside.
Great info, I figured it would be the opposite considering what I'd read about the motohooligan box. Looks like I might be going that direction now. I always admired the machine work on the motohooligan box, but was worried about what I'd read about the filter material breathing too well.

·
Registered
517 Posts
How would you compare the induction noise between the two?
Well it's hard to tell because I also tried now three different exhausts but I'd say the MotoHooligan is probably a tad quieter with overall resonance

I had the Rotty box and an Austin Racing Hi Slung. Just too stupid loud overall

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well it's hard to tell because I also tried now three different exhausts but I'd say the MotoHooligan is probably a tad quieter with overall resonance

I had the Rotty box and an Austin Racing Hi Slung. Just too stupid loud overall
Haha, for sure. I love the look of some of the Austin Racing systems but they're so damn loud. I think I'm gonna end up going full akra or maybe the full tekmo from rottweiler. Haven't heard any first hand experience on that system though.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Haha, for sure. I love the look of some of the Austin Racing systems but they're so damn loud. I think I'm gonna end up going full akra or maybe the full tekmo from rottweiler. Haven't heard any first hand experience on that system though.
Yeah I haven't either but I'm sure someone here has one. Because I like the look of that Austin so much, I just bought a knockoff pipe off eBay that at least gives me the same "through the Swingarm" up look the High Slung does. Was just over $100 so why not?

Just a project to mess with anyway and can always have my welder friend modify it. Just wanted the basic metal done.
I also bought a real Akrapovic can that will fit it and I plan to install baffles in the mid to see if the overall set up finally makes me happy. My latest set up is a full Akra system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yeah I haven't either but I'm sure someone here has one. Because I like the look of that Austin so much, I just bought a knockoff pipe off eBay that at least gives me the same "through the Swingarm" up look the High Slung does. Was just over $100 so why not? I also bought a real Akrapovic can that will fit it and I plan to install baffles in the mid to see if the overall set up finally makes me happy. My latest set up is a full Akra system
How do you like the full akra? I love the look of that system, but I'm not thrilled about having to basically destroy the baffle to get it out. One of the pros with the tekmo is you can take the baffle in and out easily. That and it's a good bit cheaper, lol. If I go Akra I'll probably end up turning my own baffle for it if it's too loud for me without it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What’s the best balance for the throttle with the OFT as far as close to 1:1 where it is still rideable? 70%? Does the traction control still work the same?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ordered the OFT last night. Got the response back from Shiv verifying that the maps are completely editable and unlocked. Took over a week to get a response but as soon as I bought the product and messaged again he wrote me back a few hours after. Hah! Hopefully I’m “in the club” now.
Also got the motohooligan and ESE unit. Now to finish breaking her in.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts