KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st set of tyres. They have done 8000KM.

They looked a bit worn but OK when I left home. I only did 100km fooling about this morning and saw this when I got home.

It's coming off in chunks.

I have Supercorsa on my Street Triple. I like them a lot. No need for that much tyre on this bike (it would shred them anyway) but I might go up a step to the Rosso III.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Pro tip, after the steel belts wear there's more rubber. When you see threads you have about 150 miles left. Ask me how I know.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
It's the price you pay for this much mechanical violence :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the price you pay for this much mechanical violence :ROFLMAO:
sure... not complaining at all. :) A little surprised at how quickly they died in the end.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
the rossi 3 was done in 2000 miles on mine . the angel gt was a little better not looking like your pic til 2500 miles

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
As fugly as the pr 5 is for aggressive road riding I can get nearly 5000 miles from a set.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
265 Posts
Changed my rear oem with cords showing at 4300 mi (7000km), I put on a new Pirelli Angel GT (non D spec). At 7900 mi (12700km) the oem front was bald so I replaced the set with Bridgstone S22's. I don't expect the stones to last as long as the oem hoops, but figured they'll work well for cooler fall/spring riding, then I plan to replace the sportier S22's with a harder st type tire for the bulk of next years season, perhaps Bridgstone T-31's. I really don't expect more than 5,000 miles(8000km) out of ANY rear tire I put on this Beast.....given my riding habits and region I do most of my riding in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I took these off at 1,500 miles. I have S22s on now, absolutely love them. The AGTs wear slightly better than S22s but the price difference doesn’t justify it.

18698762-92CD-4380-9816-AFF6B2BC5023.jpeg

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
550 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I'm betting that center stripe is the thinnest part of the tire carcass when new. No wonder it wears away so fast.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I remember the Anget ST's being no better. They went from being in seemingly ok condition to showing cords during a single ride. I along with other locals certainly had no desire to purchase a second set.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Conti race attacks with 3k miles. On my SAS.

Reactions: xpantz

·
Registered
384 Posts
1st set of tyres. They have done 8000KM.

They looked a bit worn but OK when I left home. I only did 100km fooling about this morning and saw this when I got home.

It's coming off in chunks.

I have Supercorsa on my Street Triple. I like them a lot. No need for that much tyre on this bike (it would shred them anyway) but I might go up a step to the Rosso III.

View attachment 99559
View attachment 99560
A lot of straight road riding on those, squared off to the max, no wonder they started to tear, 1 mm of rubber over the cables. If your doing high milage on straight roads you would be better off with PR5s, hard centre and a soft edge for when you need the grip. This isn't a tire problem, its the wrong tire for the roads you ride.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Don't know for sure, but I'm betting that center stripe is the thinnest part of the tire carcass when new. No wonder it wears away so fast.
No, centre is not the thinest, its the art of the tire thats doing most of the work. Acceleration, braking, and mile munching, thats why multi compound tires suit certain styles of riding, 2 up, touring bags etc. Tiring the bike for your needs. I run sports tires on my 1290R S22s, mainly because i do track days, if i only rid on the road id have CRA 3s like on my multistrada. Tire pressures effect wear rates also. If on the worn tires above, you carried the natural arc of the tire you would see its worn at least 7mm of rubber away.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A lot of straight road riding on those, squared off to the max, no wonder they started to tear, 1 mm of rubber over the cables. If your doing high milage on straight roads you would be better off with PR5s, hard centre and a soft edge for when you need the grip. This isn't a tire problem, its the wrong tire for the roads you ride.
Never said it was a problem. I'm quite happy with 8000k from them. I guess I should have just gone off the wear guides and replaced them but ended up a little surprised at how quickly they went from looking reasonably normal to stuffed :) I'm a bit new so live and learn.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Never said it was a problem. I'm quite happy with 8000k from them. I guess I should have just gone off the wear guides and replaced them but ended up a little surprised at how quickly they went from looking reasonably normal to stuffed :) I'm a bit new so live and learn.
When theres so little rubber left, it will speed up wear. Rubber needs thickness to flex and absorb heat. 8000 kms was very good milage (prob did 1000 too many on that tire tho) I'm happy if i manage 5000 from a tire.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
When theres so little rubber left, it will speed up wear. Rubber needs thickness to flex and absorb heat. 8000 kms was very good milage (prob did 1000 too many on that tire tho) I'm happy if i manage 5000 from a tire.
The rear on my Street Triple (Stock Supercorsa) died a couple of days later at 2800k. A week earlier I'd been thinking of going out with a group this weekend. On either bike I'd have made it 100km before my tyre was toast. I'd better take it more seriously.

·
Registered
384 Posts
The rear on my Street Triple (Stock Supercorsa) died a couple of days later at 2800k. A week earlier I'd been thinking of going out with a group this weekend. On either bike I'd have made it 100km before my tyre was toast. I'd better take it more seriously.f
I just yesterday got back from a 4400km trip around NZs South Island, i fitted a new set of S22s (not ideal wen loaded up with gear, and the SI roads are very abrasive) There was a straight road stretch of a few hundreds o kms where we did it at twice the legal speed, you have to, its so boring. and i flattened the tire slightly. i also should have increased the tire pressure, they may have helped prevent it getting a flat spot i got 4500kms from the stock tires, but they were worn evenly, the second set more likely to do 6000kms if i don't take it to the track soon.I really need 2 sets of rims, sports tires on one and a good road set.

·
Registered
58 Posts
When I switched to Pirelli (from Bridgestone) several years back I had to re-adjust when I put new tires on. With Bridgestones, I could go decently far after reaching the wear bars. With Pirellis, the wear bars are to be taken seriously. On my Hypermotard I actually had a wood splinter flatten the tire (it was a bit thinner than a matchstick) - I had just reached the wear bars on the rear and picked up the splinter at mile 100 or so.

I don’t ride the Pirellis past the wear bar anymore.

I haven’t reached the wear limit on the S22s on the Super Duke in the center, just the sides (track days). Every s22 I have tossed has plenty of center left. I have two rears (200 width) if anyone who puts lots of street miles on wants them in the DC area. If not, they are going to the recycling center soon.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts