KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Talked to KTM marketing this morning. They said they've heard nothing about a 2022 Super Duke GT coming to the USA. If true, that would be a monumental marketing fail for KTM
I think that if it is true that they are not sharing...it would be huge. Get all of these announcements out ahead of EIMCA on Nov 25. In what capacity do you speak with KTM marketing? Just curious.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's the important part of the announcement:

Coming on November 16:
Two incarnations of THE BEAST are about to take center stage, which all have the attributes of the complete Naked bike. Popular demand, sophistication and better performance means we’re ready to let something more out of the cage.

Arriving on November 23:
All powerful and practical and KTM-style; for some this 2022 model will be the definition of how KTM blurs the segments of the motorcycle industry.

For the 16th, my guess is that they will roll out the 2022 Super Duke R and RR. Both models will have some refinements and the RR will get the 2nd gen WP APEX Semi-Active suspension.

The intriguing announcement is the 23rd. That sure sounds like an all new bike. I am going to go off the deep end and speculate that the reason there is no new SD GT is that the bike is being replaced by a bike that sits between the old SD GT and the new SA S. I am thinking about a bike with the styling of the SA S, a 17" front wheel, 190 or 200 section rear tire and slightly lowered suspension. Such a bike would be aimed at the BMW XR and perhaps the new Ducati Multi V4 Pikes Peak as a high performance road/sport oriented ADV with no dirt pretensions, but maintaining enough comfort and the ability to carry hard panniers.

A bike like I describe above would definitely blur the lines between naked, ADV, and sport touring. I know I am probably dreaming, but if KTM comes out with the bike I am describing, I will be VERY interested. It could be the bike that makes me go from red to orange.

Just when I was about to cross KTM off the list, they get my interest. Of course I could also see them coming out with a SD RRRRRR that is semi-faired and "blurs the segments" of sportbike and naked....

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On the announcement for the 16th...the 2 beasts they speak of, I think, will be the Super Duke RR and the Super Duke R Evo
I like what you are thinking on the 23rd...if they do what you speculate. Do you see Super Duke power in this "fill-in-the gap-bike"? I would have to say yes because the V4 Multi is at 170 hp and the Super Duke power plant is currently 180 hp?...with Super Duke power, I might be convinced but I will wait patiently...probably just fall back to my default which will be to continue to ride the tires off my 2020 GT. There are worse situations to be in.

What will the call it? Super DukeAdventure SGATAS?

Also: I am stealing your analysis for the 11/23...wanted to tell you!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
No reason to build a 4 when you don't compete in the pure liter+ class sportbike segment and your twins make as much bhp and more torque than most of the competition.
I see a Super Duke GTR in the future, based on the RC8-like chassis of the SDR with traveling amenities and windage.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No reason to build a 4 when you don't compete in the pure liter+ class sportbike segment and your twins make as much bhp and more torque than most of the competition.
I see a Super Duke GTR in the future, based on the RC8-like chassis of the SDR with traveling amenities and windage.
I am starting to get excited about a bike that I didnt even know I might NEED. As long as it is still powered by the Super Duke engine. Better chance for ACC and probably even Blind Spot. They typically introduce new tech in the ADV segment...since they are blurring lines and one of those lines might be ADV...why not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
On the announcement for the 16th...the 2 beasts they speak of, I think, will be the Super Duke RR and the Super Duke R Evo
I like what you are thinking on the 23rd...if they do what you speculate. Do you see Super Duke power in this "fill-in-the gap-bike"? I would have to say yes because the V4 Multi is at 170 hp and the Super Duke power plant is currently 180 hp?...with Super Duke power, I might be convinced but I will wait patiently...probably just fall back to my default which will be to continue to ride the tires off my 2020 GT. There are worse situations to be in.

What will the call it? Super DukeAdventure SGATAS?

Also: I am stealing your analysis for the 11/23...wanted to tell you!
I really hope KTM doesn't abandon the GT. I feel with Suzuki coming out with a new sport tourer there's still a good market for these types of bikes. Naked's are okay but I never really jumped on the bandwagon with that style of bike. I need a bit more element protection and comfort for longer trips.

·
Registered
103 Posts
One thing I forgot is that several months back there was a new 990 engine rumored and spy photos circulating. That 990 could be one of the new Dukes or it could be the "segment blurring" bike.

My initial thought is that I'd rather see a sport-touring segment blurring bike have 1290 power, but I'm keeping an open mind.

The 890 makes 116 +/- hp and 70 +/0 ft-lbs at the rear wheel according to dyno tests I have seen on-line. If a 990 makes 10% more power/torque, that would be getting close to 130 rwhp along with upper 70s for torque. Magazine tests have the 890 Duke R weighing 405 pounds wet. If a 990 with all day ergos and panniers could come in at <= 450 pounds wet, I might be able to "make do" with "only" 125-130 rwhp...but I'd still prefer the 1290. 😎

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
A lot of interesting comments. I am really, REALLY hoping that KTM has something for the Ducati Pikes Peak and the Aprilia V4 Tuono. Suzuki is coming out with a new sport tourer. It would be sad to see KTM abandon this segment. The price of that Pikes Peak will make it difficult to play the "If you love me" card with my wife...

·
Registered
470 Posts
I read an article the other day that KTM sticks to the tried and tested LC8 Twin platform, tweaked for multiple applications. Basically, large capacity one's or two's are what will continue to power KTM bikes in the foreseeable future.

But - given that KTM runs a V4 in MotoGP and I've given up hope that Honda joins the supernaked market - what if KTM comes out next year with a high performance V5? Remember the early 2000's Honda GP engine?

That would be the tits!

Okay that's not going to happen, but there's nothing wrong with a little fantasy. I'm rocking a semi thinking of a V5 in a Superduke platform.

1 - 20 of 123 Posts