KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
There wasn't much of a difference between the 2017 and 2019 gen 2 either. A palette swap and that's about it. 2020 onwards however...

That said, 2023 will probably bring a gen 4 to the table.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Going back to the original announcement:

Coming on November 16:
Two incarnations of THE BEAST are about to take center stage, which all have the attributes of the complete Naked bike. Popular demand, sophistication and better performance means we’re ready to let something more out of the cage.

Arriving on November 23:
All powerful and practical and KTM-style; for some this 2022 model will be the definition of how KTM blurs the segments of the motorcycle industry.

If this EVO model is one "incarnation", does that mean that the second one is still coming or are they counting the non-EVO, standard suspension R as an "incarnation"? Looking on the website, the EVO is the only model listed as 2022.:unsure:

Of course there is also the announcement on the 23rd.. Whatever KTM has up their sleeve, consider me engaged and watching.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might be a silly question, but does anyone know if the R is coming to the USA in 2022? It shows up on the site for other regions but doesn't even have a place holder on the US site, just the Evo

·
Registered
104 Posts
Might be a silly question, but does anyone know if the R is coming to the USA in 2022? It shows up on the site for other regions but doesn't even have a place holder on the US site, just the Evo
The EVO is the only naked 2022 model listed. The 200, 390, 890 and 890 R are all listed as 2021 only. Under "Travel" the 1290 SA S and SA R are both listed as only 2020 models, not 2021 or 2022. I find it hard to believe that they would go two years without new SA models. My guess is they are lagging in updating their site or they have a lot more announcements coming.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am told by my dealer that the Evo is a limited model with very limited numbers coming to Australia. If the US market is ony getting Evos then that doesnt ring true??

·
Premium Member
SDR EVO, 701 SM, GROM
15 Posts
I am told by my dealer that the Evo is a limited model with very limited numbers coming to Australia. If the US market is ony getting Evos then that doesnt ring true??
I was told by my dealer that the EVO is the only model coming to Canada, not the R version. I was also told that they are only getting 1 or 2 per dealer. Can't wait to get mine!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Anyone know the weight of the Evo?
MOTOBOB has done an intro video for the Evo, the silver and orange may look ok in the flesh, I'll reserve judgement until I see it

Reactions: frqflyr

·
Registered
183 Posts
logically and strategically, it would have to be a v4 like the RC16, like ducati, aprilia, a true ktm v4 liter bike to support KTM's growing success in motogp. I tend to doubt a big secret would be a re config on an existing model.
Looking forward to the KTM RC16 Super Bike, I ll definitely buy one immediately.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think KTM will ever shy away from the V-twin that made them the success they are today. That said, Ducati is about to launch the Streetfighter with a twin, which means you can now choose between a modern V4 and a V2 in the same bike. KTM can probably do the same.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
Keep in mind that the Streetfighter V2 is a sub-litre bike and basically a naked Panigale V2 - which in turn is "the poor man's Panigale V4". So I'd say that Ducati treats the V2 variants of their V4 models as "lesser bikes". Note also that Ducati essentially has two engines: a V-twin (which comes in two flavours) and the V4, while KTM has specifically developed a new architecture with the new parallel-twin that now replaces the old big V-twin in all models but the Super Duke and Super Adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for KTM to keep making the big V-twin as it's way more suited for big adventure and big naked bikes than a four-piston engine. The V4 is super powerful but revvy and not as torquey or fun. Sadly though, I see all the clues leading to the V2 demise in the mid-term.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Keep in mind that the Streetfighter V2 is a sub-litre bike and basically a naked Panigale V2 - which in turn is "the poor man's Panigale V4". So I'd say that Ducati treats the V2 variants of their V4 models as "lesser bikes". Note also that Ducati essentially has two engines: a V-twin (which comes in two flavours) and the V4, while KTM has specifically developed a new architecture with the new parallel-twin that now replaces the old big V-twin in all models but the Super Duke and Super Adventure.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love for KTM to keep making the big V-twin as it's way more suited for big adventure and big naked bikes than a four-piston engine. The V4 is super powerful but revvy and not as torquey or fun. Sadly though, I see all the clues leading to the V2 demise in the mid-term.
Your main point about the Panigale V2, SF V2 and Multistrada V2 being "lower tier" models versus the V4 models is true. Nonetheless, I feel the need to be detailed.For the record, Ducati has more than those two series of engines. They actually have 4 distinct series of engines.
  1. V4 (includes Panigale, SF and Gran Turismo version in the Multistrada)
  2. Superquaddro V2 with gear driven cam, liquid cooled 4 valve (the "959" in the Pani V2 and SF V2)
  3. Testastretta V2 liquid cooled with belt driven cam 4-valve (currently in the 1260 DVT form in the Diavel and "950" form in the Multistrada V2, Monster and Hypermotard)
  4. Desmodue (two valve air-cooled, belt driven cam engines in 800 and 1100 versions for the Scrambler line)

Back to KTM, the rumored new 990 parallel twin Duke should compete nicely with the 959/SF V2 engine. I'm guessing the 959 will have a stronger top end, but the 990 will show better on the bottom and middle parts of the rev range.

KTM's big announcement is tomorrow...

·
Registered
513 Posts

Attachments

41 - 60 of 131 Posts