KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
81 - 100 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
My 2020 GT already has semi-active suspension. All they have done is add an anti-dive valve to the forks. 2020 has 6.5" TFT - this gets a slightly larger one at 7", common wheels with the R line just save them money (and you swap them for the 2020 wheels for about $900), and a software update for the MYRIDE app. Sorry but not a lot to get excited over. Worst of all, they are going to offer the GT to the North America market - again..
Bad typing sorry, they aren't offering the GT to NA yet again.

·
Registered
104 Posts
My 2020 GT already has semi-active suspension. All they have done is add an anti-dive valve to the forks. 2020 has 6.5" TFT - this gets a slightly larger one at 7", common wheels with the R line just save them money (and you swap them for the 2020 wheels for about $900), and a software update for the MYRIDE app. Sorry but not a lot to get excited over. Worst of all, they are going to offer the GT to the North America market - again..
Someone else already mentioned that the previous gen suspension was semi-active, so yes, that was my oversight.

While the mildness of the update is a let down, the fact that it is not coming to the US is worse news. I think what manufacturers miss sometimes is that many riders only buy a motorcycle every 5+ years. KTM's growth over the past 25 years has been phenomenal and I am just one potential customer. Far be it for me to tell them how to run their business, but by leaving a segment "vacant" for a couple of years, they miss that window and therefore miss the chance to win new customers.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Someone else already mentioned that the previous gen suspension was semi-active, so yes, that was my oversight.

While the mildness of the update is a let down, the fact that it is not coming to the US is worse news. I think what manufacturers miss sometimes is that many riders only buy a motorcycle every 5+ years. KTM's growth over the past 25 years has been phenomenal and I am just one potential customer. Far be it for me to tell them how to run their business, but by leaving a segment "vacant" for a couple of years, they miss that window and therefore miss the chance to win new customers.
There isn't a lot of serious competition in the GT's section potomacduc. The GT is still a very good bike as it is. If they can step the electronic suspension up a notch or two, that would be great, at least match the quality of the Multistrada's suspension. And some new colour schemes, etc.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There isn't a lot of serious competition in the GT's section potomacduc. The GT is still a very good bike as it is. If they can step the electronic suspension up a notch or two, that would be great, at least match the quality of the Multistrada's suspension. And some new colour schemes, etc.
As alluded to in my post and mentioned in an earlier comment, the 2022 SD GT would still be on my list...if it was available in the USA. As noted by others, for the second year in a row, KTM will not be selling a SD GT in the USA. You are correct that the high horsepower, pointy end of the sport-touring spectrum is very small and now in the US KTM has made it smaller. I suppose I could look used, but pricing on used gen 2 SD GTs isn't great. I don't want to pay 80% of new for a bike with 15-20k+ miles. Lower mileage bikes are more like 90% of new.

What's left for me here in the US? I generally don't like I4s, so the BMW XR, Ninja and new Suzuki GT are off the list. Supercharging intrigues me, but the H2 SX SE+ is pushing 600#s which is too much for me. I had a brief ride on the Multi V4 and it just didn't grab me. The Pikes Peak may be able to excite me, but the price would be pushing $33k USD equipped as I would like it. My goal is to stay <$20k USD out of pocket. Even with selling my current bike, I'd be well north of that buying a Pikes Peak.

Unless I am missing something, that leaves....nothing? That's why I still lean towards keeping my ol' Multistrada and adding a naked bike. If I am going to have two bikes, I think I want some engine variety so that has me looking at the V4 options: Tuono or Streetfighter. I was leaning Tuono, but the tuning revisions made to the SF for '21 have that neck and neck in the running.

·
Registered
53 Posts
As alluded to in my post and mentioned in an earlier comment, the 2022 SD GT would still be on my list...if it was available in the USA. As noted by others, for the second year in a row, KTM will not be selling a SD GT in the USA. You are correct that the high horsepower, pointy end of the sport-touring spectrum is very small and now in the US KTM has made it smaller. I suppose I could look used, but pricing on used gen 2 SD GTs isn't great. I don't want to pay 80% of new for a bike with 15-20k+ miles. Lower mileage bikes are more like 90% of new.

What's left for me here in the US? I generally don't like I4s, so the BMW XR, Ninja and new Suzuki GT are off the list. Supercharging intrigues me, but the H2 SX SE+ is pushing 600#s which is too much for me. I had a brief ride on the Multi V4 and it just didn't grab me. The Pikes Peak may be able to excite me, but the price would be pushing $33k USD equipped as I would like it. My goal is to stay <$20k USD out of pocket. Even with selling my current bike, I'd be well north of that buying a Pikes Peak.

Unless I am missing something, that leaves....nothing? That's why I still lean towards keeping my ol' Multistrada and adding a naked bike. If I am going to have two bikes, I think I want some engine variety so that has me looking at the V4 options: Tuono or Streetfighter. I was leaning Tuono, but the tuning revisions made to the SF for '21 have that neck and neck in the running.
There are still lightly used GT's popping up in my area of Phoenix every once in awhile. The asking price on them are pretty reasonable too. I guess it depends how far you'd like to travel to pick one up.

·
Registered
2020 KTM SUPER DUKE GT
62 Posts
Online today there are several articles detailing the specs of the '22 GT and indicating that a January '22 release is reality. Larger dash, more fuel capacity, Conti tires, different color combos are but a few of the changes noted. I just googled 2022 KTM Super Duke GT.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Rode the S1000R and XR (the previous one). They are absolutely gutless down low. I'd say the lower rpm limit to keep them eager is about 6-7000.
We have very different perspectives, that's for sure, because my S1000R pulled great from 4 and then kicked up another notch at 6.5. Calling these bikes gutless down low makes me think you might be full of something.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
There are still lightly used GT's popping up in my area of Phoenix every once in awhile.
So many great responses which are very thought provoking and another guy from Phoenix...I am in far, far east Mesa...but not Apache Junction. LOL If they are not bringing the 2022 to NA like it is starting to look like, that will be 3 of the last 5 MY not sold in NA. They did that with the 2018, 2021, and now the 2022. I was getting excited about a Gen 3 GT that followed the previous formulas of adding the suspension and engine updates from the R and the technology from the SAS and that worked for a while. I have ridden the V4 Streetfighter, the previous Multistrada, the BMW S1000R and XR...and to my limited exposure to those types of bikes (20+ year Valkyrie owner) they were soul less compared to my Super Duke GT.
I also would like to know in what ways the GT test mules with SDR architecture fell short because it ticked all the boxes and I had a pretty compelling business case for a new motorcycle to present to my wife...I have rambled on long enough.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
We have very different perspectives, that's for sure, because my S1000R pulled great from 4 and then kicked up another notch at 6.5. Calling these bikes gutless down low makes me think you might be full of something.
I guess it depends on expectations and perspective. I don't really think one can objectively compare a 1000cc inline 4 with an over-litre V-twin - torque-wise at least, anywhere in the rev-range. Yes, it pulled impressively for what type of engine it was; no, it was nowhere near what a big V-twin produces. I think it was also below what a 1000cc v4 can output in the low and mid-range (comparing it to the 1litre Tuono V4 here, but haven't ridden them back-to-back). The only inline-four that showed me any type of low-end torque was the one in my K1200S. And even that was not "wow" inducing. It was just nice and pleasant. But to each his own.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I don't really think one can objectively compare a 1000cc inline 4 with an over-litre V-twin - torque-wise at least,
Being an owner of both configurations, I certainly can. And having owned an S1000R I can tell you right now that the twin does pull harder from down low, but the S1000R is as quick if not quicker throughout the mid range and top end. In a top gear roll on from 100kmh I'd put money on the S1000R because the KTM is horrendous in those low RPM's in 6th, whereas the 4 is as smooth as silk. Again, I write from experience, not from a once off test ride.

·
Registered
1290 SDR, 701 SM, RSV4
109 Posts
In a top gear roll on from 100kmh I'd put money on the S1000R because the KTM is horrendous in those low RPM's in 6th, whereas the 4 is as smooth as silk. Again, I write from experience, not from a once off test ride.
I understand. You are most probably right then. I've never done such tests myself - mostly because I have a gearbox and I want to have fun when I ride :)

·
Registered
104 Posts
That's a shame, because the 4's these days are monsters, especially the XR which pulls like hell from 4k. My old S1000R which had amazing low end grunt for a 4, felt quicker overall than my SDR.
One very good friend and riding buddy has an XR and another has an R. Between their bikes and demo rides on the R and RR, I know those bikes. They are capable bikes, but I just don't enjoy them. Most of my negative feelings on I4s come from those bikes. Other than the annoying vibration and blah looks, I can't point to anything terribly "wrong" with them. Buying a motorcycle is (of course) partly irrational/emotional endeavor and the S-series BMWs do nothing for me in that regard.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Being an owner of both configurations, I certainly can. And having owned an S1000R I can tell you right now that the twin does pull harder from down low, but the S1000R is as quick if not quicker throughout the mid range and top end. In a top gear roll on from 100kmh I'd put money on the S1000R because the KTM is horrendous in those low RPM's in 6th, whereas the 4 is as smooth as silk. Again, I write from experience, not from a once off test ride.
I understand. You are most probably right then. I've never done such tests myself - mostly because I have a gearbox and I want to have fun when I ride :)
I'm with you. I place little value in "top gear roll on" as a metric, especially on a modern liter-plus motorcycle that can hit 115+ mph (185+ kmh) in 3rd gear. 6th gear is over-over-drive. My Multistrada is smooth at interstate speeds in 4th and starting to hit the fat part of the torque curve. It's downright placid in 5th, if I need to take a nap.:ROFLMAO:

Perhaps this exposes one of the main issues I have experienced with the I4 in the S-series and allluded to above. At the same speeds in 4th, the BMW vibrates rather annoyingly, so you want to shift up. I found my self shifting on the S-bikes not because the power/torque is lacking, but because it's not comfortable/pleasant to hold even mid range revs. My friend with an R has tried bar risers, rotating the bars, weighted bar ends, gel grips and gel gloves to try and mitigate the issue, with limited success. Admittedly, I have only ridden 2018 and earlier S-series bikes and vibes have been an issue on every S bike I have ridden. I know BMW has tried to address this in more recent model years, so maybe it's not so bad now.

·
Registered
44 Posts
And that again is an interesting perspective. Because more than once I've seen you post about how hard the S1000R pulls over the LC8, specifically in a 1290 SDR configuration. Nothing could be further from the truth, it isn't even close. Would you mind showing all of us where exactly it is on any of these dyno sheets that the BMW outperforms the SDR? The Duke has the 1000R by 15lb-ft and 15hp at 3k rpm, 25lb-ft and 15hp at 4k rpm, 10lb-ft and 15+hp at 5k rpm, 20lb-ft and 20hp at 6k rpm, 20lb-ft and 25hp at 7k rpm....

Furthermore, I have no idea why in the world someone would use a top gear roll on test as proof of anything. And damned sure not on an SDR at 62 mph! That scenario gives the BMW more than 700 rpm advantage, which proves nothing except that the KTM has an overdrive sixth gear and the BMW doesn't. In fact, after crunching a **** ton of numbers, a test that would be much more likely to illustrate just how much more power the KTM has under the curve would be to run the same 62 mph roll on but have the KTM start in 5th gear (puts the Duke at 4105 rpm, still slightly less revs than the BMW). That's what it takes to even out mechanical advantage and just test the engines against each other. And I think we all know what would happen then...

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
Those charts and several reviews show why supercharging an I4 is a game changer. One issue with the Z H2 is its weight. 531 pounds is not bad for a sport tourer, but a bit heavy for a naked bike. The looks are also an issue for me. I'm not a fan of the green. In Europe they offered it with a red frame in previous years, which helped a little, but it's still not a pretty bike. For sport-tourers I am a little less concerned about looks, but I think a naked bike should be a bit of a show pony.
I would still like to ride the big Kaw though. Sometimes function can win out over form.

81 - 100 of 131 Posts