KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey two-bangers
So you have a GPS on your bike? What model, what do you like/dislike about it and would you buy again. If you would not, what WOULD you buy?

I am looking at the Garmin Zumo but a friend of mine has it and is less than impressed.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
779 Posts
I use an old android smartphone: Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254. It's water repellent, runs Locus, and some other mapping apps, but I wind up using Google Maps more than any other nav app. I can't see the point in having a separate GPS device. There's an excellent thread on this topic in Advrider.

Edit to add: I’ve got at least 3 old smartphones lying around; if the one I’m using now for nav ever crashes, I’ve got replacements ready. But I’ve been using it for at least 5 years.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I use an iPhone in my pocket and the KTM ap to get next turn information on the dash, with voice to my headset in the helmet. I kinda dislike a load of extra bolt-ones, it’s OCD thing I think! Don’t hold it against me please! ;)

The KTM nav app also downloads the entire USA in advance, so works when you have no cell signal. handy for the back roads with no cell coverage. I use it to pre-plan fun riding loops so I don’t miss a turn.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Iphone on a Quadlock. I have an old phone I can use as an Ipod and a charge cord inside the tank bag. QL also has a wireless charger mount, but I really don't need it. I usually know about where I'm going and I'll whip out a paper map from time to time.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iphone on a Quadlock. I have an old phone I can use as an Ipod and a charge cord inside the tank bag. QL also has a wireless charger mount, but I really don't need it. I usually know about where I'm going and I'll whip out a paper map from time to time.
I wondered how well those Quadlocks work. The GT I picked up has an OEM KTM GPS Mount for it...which is what inspired me to think I need one now lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use my iPhone on a SP moto mount on the bars. The phone mounts sideways and is in good view. I have a 12” charging cable that reaches my 12v outlet with a USB adapter. I usually run an app called Scenic. I also run Gaia from time to time. Highly recommend Scenic app though. Both apps download maps for use while out off cell range. I can’t imagine spending money on a separate gps unit. Especially seeing as they are still up there in price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Coarse my samsung turns all its apps on an starts snapping photos if I put it on the phone mount so I bought a zumo xt on sale tat came with a harness and mount for $400. I think I paid $88 for another harness/handlebar mount to just move the unit between bikes. the zumo can survive downpoars and offroad adventure, but like all of them occasionally there going to screw up.

Reactions: zc1

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I wondered how well those Quadlocks work. The GT I picked up has an OEM KTM GPS Mount for it...which is what inspired me to think I need one now lol
They are fine since QL added a shock-absorbing sub-mount. The original solid-mount buggered the stabilizer in my phone camera. Luckily the phone was under warranty. No further probs since I got the sub-mount.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have used phone mounts in the past, but a few things led me to get a dedicated GPS unit, instead -- (1) the vibration vs phone camera issue (The QuadLock vibration dampener seems to be a decent approach, but the vibes must still add up over time...just a longer time); (2) While researching phone mount options (my most recent had been the Rokform mounts but I was looking at QuadLock because of the dampener), several reviewers suggested that it's worth the peace of mind to just get a dedicated GPS, instead, and save the phone for other things; In the videos for the QuadLock dampener the phones were clearly still bouncing around a fair bit as well, but the point was that it decreased the 'harmful' vibrations...still annoying to look at, though; (3) my phone would often overheat and then shut down apps due to being in direct sunlight for extended periods of time; (4) The brightness on the phone screen was acceptable most of the time, and terrible at other times (really sunny days); (5) phone mounts still vibrate...even the QL with the dampener; (6) The phone was never easy to operate with gloves on.

I went with a Zumo XT and the bonus features I appreciate now that I have a dedicated GPS unit are: (1) live traffic and weather as well as "adventure" mode to give you more interesting routes (I thought I was going to lose those functions moving away from my phone); (2) it has configurable alerts for things like speed limit changes, speed/light cameras, speeding, etc, and will play a tone in my headset if I set it up to alert me of those things; (3) It receives and displays my phone notifications; (4) it can handle my music and phone calls as well (connected by bluetooth to my phone and my Sena headset); (5) it can give me a heads-up when I'm nearing my set point for re-fueling.

I have been blown away by how good the Zumo XT is -- to the point of actually using it in my car in place of my car's navigation and Android Auto. On the bike I don't miss Google Maps at all, and I don't have to live with a shaky/dim/overheating phone or worry about the vibration slowly destroying my phone's camera.

There are advantages and disadvantages for everything, though. The GPS required a new mount to get it right where I wanted it. It cost money over just using my phone (but hopefully means letting my phone last longer). It's another thing to carry around and that has to run off the bike battery. For me the positives far outweigh the negatives, and I'm very happy keeping my phone in my jacket pocket.

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I also have an older, non -functioning Iphone with all my music on it that I use as an Ipod on longer trips, and leave the real phone in a pocket for quick pic snapping or on a charger cord in the bag. Just had to purchase the appropo QL case. More than 2 years with the damper mount and no issues.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
302 Posts
I used to use a ram mount for my phone, and use Waze.
I still use Waze on my phone, but I have discovered that KTM sells a SP Connect phone cover in KTM colors.
So now I use a SP Connect inductive charger mount(wired to one of the accessory taps in the bike). Works great!
I never could get the KTM app, my sena, and my phone to seamlessly work together 🤷‍♂️. It's simple, clean and works great. I can stream music and still get Waze directions and alerts(revenue hunters) all through my Sena 30k.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the QuadLock with the dampener. Previously had a cheap mount which shook my iPhone camera to failure. No problems with the QL. I run a cord from the 12-volt outlet to the phone and use Google maps for nav. The only downside is getting the iPhone to respond to finger touch even with gloves that are designed to be touch-screen friendly.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
zc1, when you say adventure mode on the zumo xt are you talking about the twisty road slider or the offroad box or is there another window I haven't located yet, tia.

·
Registered
11 Posts
zc1, when you say adventure mode on the zumo xt are you talking about the twisty road slider or the offroad box or is there another window I haven't located yet, tia.
Hi @steve59 . I just checked what it's actually called (because in my mind it's just the adventure/long way round mode, haha). It's the "Garmin Adventurous Routing" option.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Thanks, my zumo xt doesn't have the option. I went on the website and searched it and followed the instructions and where i'm supposed to be able to select Garmin Adventurous Routing i only get faster time, strait line or shorter distance. Plugged into the pc it says it's up to date and I don't see any apps with the title Garmin Adventurous Routing so IDK.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
OK so the USA model has a slide on the destination screen and that is the GAR it just does what it does, I used it on a road trip this spring and it did a decent job finding twisty b roads. It looks like the same thing only placed differently and with my xt there's 3 levels of extreme that in reality are location dependent. Thanks for getting back to me.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great contributions everyone! Seems I may be able to get away with my phone a bit, although a GPS seems more robust. If I do mountainous/isolated areas...GPS seems definitely the way to go.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts