KTM Forums banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
I run old Garmin 660, great GPS for motorcycle routing and always works perfect every turn for complex routes created in Google maps and imported into Basecamp or routes created in Basecamp. My GT came with a newer touchscreen Garmin Zumo 590 and it is a piece of crap for complex routing. Check read up numerous owners fighting with it as it will ignore waypoints and route however it wants no matter the setting. I use the ktm mount that fits above gen1 GT guages. I also run a back Android on quadlock but it's more of a weather and double check device. It's hard to beat a good working GPS that sticks to a well planned route. I run audio into sena on helmet

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey two-bangers
So you have a GPS on your bike? What model, what do you like/dislike about it and would you buy again. If you would not, what WOULD you buy?

I am looking at the Garmin Zumo but a friend of mine has it and is less than impressed.

Thoughts?
Great contributions everyone! Seems I may be able to get away with my phone a bit, although a GPS seems more robust. If I do mountainous/isolated areas...GPS seems definitely the way to go.
Wow, great thread.
I bought a Zumo XT used it for several months and sold it a couple weeks ago. The problem was that it did not follow my planned route exactly. Sometimes it would decide it knew better. When take trips, I go to great pains to plan routes around cool roads, POIs, and towns. My go to app on the PC is REVER because its integrated with Butler maps. Also, I don't have the patience or IQ points to learn Garmin's BaseCamp.
I have no problem importing the .gpx file from REVER into the XT (as a track) and the XT converting it to a route. And when I check the route on the XT before riding, it matches what I planned in REVER - all good. But when navigating the route, I can't count on the XT to always follow my planned route exactly (this problem has been reported by others).
So, I've gone back to using my phone which I'm not thrilled about due to overheating, and using with gloves. The other problem is that in my case, I have to mount the phone in a horizontal orientation on the KTM mount due to lack of space in the SuperDuke GT instrument area. So, because of the screen space taken up by the turn directions, you see very little of the route line. Only two apps (Calimoto and MRA) have screen layouts that sort of work.
Great contributions everyone! Seems I may be able to get away with my phone a bit, although a GPS seems more robust. If I do mountainous/isolated areas...GPS seems definitely the way to go.
Great thread. I had a Zumo XT and sold it out of frustration a couple weeks ago.
I spend a lot of time planning routes so they include cool roads, towns, and POIs. I couldn't get the Zumo to exactly follow routes that I planned. No problem importing the .gpx file as a track and the Zumo converting it to a route. When I checked the route on the Zumo before riding, it matched what I planned on the PC in REVER. Then riding/navigating, sometimes the Zumo would decide for itself routing it liked better. This problem has been reported by others and I don't know of a solution.
I love the Zumo's form factor, screen layout, and clarity of turn by turn directions. I agree that there are some great phone apps out there for navigating on a ride (like calimoto and MRA) but I've had problems with my phone overheating, rain, and operating it with gloves. And the screen layout, especially if the phone is in a horizontal orientation which I need to do on my SuperDuke GT is not good; not enough of the route line shows with turn by turn directions also on the screen.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Wow, great thread.
I bought a Zumo XT used it for several months and sold it a couple weeks ago. The problem was that it did not follow my planned route exactly. Sometimes it would decide it knew better. When take trips, I go to great pains to plan routes around cool roads, POIs, and towns. My go to app on the PC is REVER because its integrated with Butler maps. Also, I don't have the patience or IQ points to learn Garmin's BaseCamp.
I have no problem importing the .gpx file from REVER into the XT (as a track) and the XT converting it to a route. And when I check the route on the XT before riding, it matches what I planned in REVER - all good. But when navigating the route, I can't count on the XT to always follow my planned route exactly (this problem has been reported by others).
So, I've gone back to using my phone which I'm not thrilled about due to overheating, and using with gloves. The other problem is that in my case, I have to mount the phone in a horizontal orientation on the KTM mount due to lack of space in the SuperDuke GT instrument area. So, because of the screen space taken up by the turn directions, you see very little of the route line. Only two apps (Calimoto and MRA) have screen layouts that sort of work.

Great thread. I had a Zumo XT and sold it out of frustration a couple weeks ago.
I spend a lot of time planning routes so they include cool roads, towns, and POIs. I couldn't get the Zumo to exactly follow routes that I planned. No problem importing the .gpx file as a track and the Zumo converting it to a route. When I checked the route on the Zumo before riding, it matched what I planned on the PC in REVER. Then riding/navigating, sometimes the Zumo would decide for itself routing it liked better. This problem has been reported by others and I don't know of a solution.
I love the Zumo's form factor, screen layout, and clarity of turn by turn directions. I agree that there are some great phone apps out there for navigating on a ride (like calimoto and MRA) but I've had problems with my phone overheating, rain, and operating it with gloves. And the screen layout, especially if the phone is in a horizontal orientation which I need to do on my SuperDuke GT is not good; not enough of the route line shows with turn by turn directions also on the screen.
Yep same experience, but older Garmins work perfect. Someone decided to make them better but instead made the newer zumo useless

·
Registered
157 Posts
I have a bunch of friends with Zumo XT and with the proper setup, they have not had any issues with its routing. Make sure you don't have curvy roads navigation mode on.

·
Registered
2016 1190 Adv, 2020 890 DukeR, 2008 Buell 1125R
30 Posts
Hey two-bangers
So you have a GPS on your bike? What model, what do you like/dislike about it and would you buy again. If you would not, what WOULD you buy?

I am looking at the Garmin Zumo but a friend of mine has it and is less than impressed.

Thoughts?
I have the garmin zumo 595LM and I love it.
It's connected to my phone and sena/cardo. The map features and adventurous routing are great. I can read texts, answer calls, play pandora etc through it.

If you have the garmin app, you can set the unit up to email people a map that follows the route you're taking. That's good for long rides in case you want someone to know where you are.

I use it on my Duke and Adventure. For my Duke I have the zumo mount with a ram mount and a couple different connector options.
My adv has the sw motech/garmin mount and has perm power basically.

If it ever breaks (and it's built pretty tough) then I'll buy another one.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016 1190 Adv, 2020 890 DukeR, 2008 Buell 1125R
30 Posts
zc1, when you say adventure mode on the zumo xt are you talking about the twisty road slider or the offroad box or is there another window I haven't located yet, tia.
Its a separate option on some models.
You can avoid freeways almost entirely and routes take you through all sorts of interesting places.

Sometimes I use it and just select a city destination far away and see where it takes me. Found some pretty cool roads that way.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Its a separate option on some models.
You can avoid freeways almost entirely and routes take you through all sorts of interesting places.

Sometimes I use it and just select a city destination far away and see where it takes me. Found some pretty cool roads that way.
I hear you. Living in NYC it's not an option though... you can be riding for hours with no fun at all. you really have to know where to go there.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, great thread.
I bought a Zumo XT used it for several months and sold it a couple weeks ago. The problem was that it did not follow my planned route exactly. Sometimes it would decide it knew better...
Have you tried this way?

It might be the same method that you described, but it sounds like he was having similar frustration with the routing and that this is what finally solved it.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Garmin Zumo 595, love it. Weather no issues, vibrations no issues.
Do you use the OEM KTM GPS mount? I have one and would like to, and I was eyeing the Zumo XT but I do not think it will fit in that space
The 595 is smaller right? I'll search anyhow but this is good feedback

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
My xt is starting to have connection problems. The roads out here are so bad i'm surprised I don't come home to 2 blown fork seals every day and for that i'm not surprised the harness isn't supplying steady juice to the tablet, but It is designed for motorcycles and it would be nice if it worked and I didn't get a warning every 2 minutes I had to clear.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I was sent a bunch of waypoints that become a destination in garmin.... do any of you seasoned vets out there know if the zumo puts it together or will I be stopping every few miles to understand what happens next?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was sent a bunch of waypoints that become a destination in garmin.... do any of you seasoned vets out there know if the zumo puts it together or will I be stopping every few miles to understand what happens next?
Zumo will transition from one waypoint to another seamlessly.

·
Registered
'16 SDGT, et al
779 Posts
Update to add:
For the last 3 weeks or so, I’ve been using the free version of the OsmAnd navigation app on my old Droid, and Im really impressed. It has a motorcycle specific profile, and even has a setting to avoid paved roads, if that’s what you’re into. Really a pretty slick system.

I use an old android smartphone: Motorola Droid Turbo XT1254. It's water repellent, runs Locus, and some other mapping apps, but I wind up using Google Maps more than any other nav app. I can't see the point in having a separate GPS device. There's an excellent thread on this topic in Advrider.

Edit to add: I’ve got at least 3 old smartphones lying around; if the one I’m using now for nav ever crashes, I’ve got replacements ready. But I’ve been using it for at least 5 years.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts