KTM Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Orange lovers!! :)

Peeps call me Valvoline, and my trusted metal steed is my 'Lawnmower' 2016 KTM Duke 390 (1st in Australia to be ADV'd).

My Lawnmower has seriously surprised me in what it has been capable of doing.... 75,000kms in 2 years. Toured around most Australia and probably has been taken into way too many places a naked 'city' bike shouldn't venture :sneaky:.

I'm a vertically challenged (1.48cm / 4foot11) rider, with:
The energy of a lizard's cut tail,
The passion of a Spaniard at motoGP,
As annoying as a flea in the ear,
With the love for biking as Kayne West loves himself.
Looking at life through vertically challenged eyes....
Valvoline.... you know what I mean! ;-)

Hope to meet and chat to similar minded people and find other adventurer lovers that have an orange beating heart! :D

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Poor little 390 gets her neck wrung everywhere ..... Great to see you on the forum. Come back often and keep us up to date with your adventures.

·
Dirt Wizard
3,890 Posts
Check out the knobby tyres on that thing!!!!
4ft 11 ay?
No wonder you go $1.30 an hr on that thing.

·
Super Moderator
442 Posts
Nice intro Valvoline and cool little 390 you got there! That's a lot of KM's on that KTM so please do share your journeys with us if you have time.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice intro Valvoline and cool little 390 you got there! That's a lot of KM's on that KTM so please do share your journeys with us if you have time.
Where / what threadwould it be best to post past or future ride adventures?

·
Super Moderator
966 Posts
Where / what thread would it be best to post past or future ride adventures?
I think you have started a great platform right here. We had another GC based rider carrying his own thread for ages:

Just keep adding to it I reckon.

·
Dirt Wizard
3,890 Posts
I might just move it out of member introductions though and put the thread into either the Aussie section or the adventure area if that's cool with you @Valvoline ?

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Well, here's Valvoline's new lawnmower....... by comparison it's a V8 powered lawn killer........ but it might be a bit tall for a vertically petite person......

The 2020 SDR has just been released and AMCN has a write up test report in the current issue. They say it might be a licence loser so not a good one for @DW ...... :D

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you have started a great platform right here. We had another GC based rider carrying his own thread for ages:

Just keep adding to it I reckon.
And so it shall be!
Ok makes sense to me... Iv'e had a look around at this forum and it's so large it can get a bit confusing.... I'll just use this thread as a dumping ground for my musings, misadventures and Lawnmower rides :) CHeers!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And this is where it aaaaaalllll started..... in Feb 2016 my world turned up-side down since, due to an admin oversight (understatement) I became stateless. Yes, sateless..... Things were going downhill in every part of my life and with the prospect of loosing my house, my job and being deported, I had lots of decisions to make.

Since there was no embassy in the Gold Coast / Brisbane, I had to go in person to either Syd or Melbourne to sort this mess out. Not long I had purchased my Lawnmower 0.1 (Duke 390). I had a hair-brained idea.... if they were going to deport me, I may as well set myself a challenge and tick off something on my bucket list: to ride the Australian Alps and High counrty (on my way to Melbourne).

And so with 3 weeks to learn about long term bike touring, big trips, bike luggage etc I decided to get rid of most my stuff, moved a few belongings to my parentals place, left my job and purchased some touring gear, phone holder (which would act as my GPS and camera) and panniers from India. The cradle of Duke 390 worship.

I got a bike rack from Ventura, a seat bag, a 'touring' KTM windscreen, a 12v plug, the mobile phone holder, crash bars (which double as my highway pegs) and Dirtsack Panniers.

Then having to pack as minimalistic as possible, pack your life into 3 bags was a bit of a challenge. This also had to include some tools, first air kit, puncture kit and other stuff that takes up room in your bags for a 'just in case' scenario.

And had to pack for all sorts of weather, even thought it was full summer in the Gold coast still.

Voila! The Lawnmower packed. I didn't really weight it but I think the extra weight would have been about 15, possibly 20kgs in total.

And so D-day was fast approaching.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I stretched the trip to 5 days of riding before getting to Melbourne. The weather wasn't the most favourable, fairly constant showers, followed by lower than average temperatures. Not something this hot little potato was liking. But I knew it was going to be the high country and should expect any weather!

I didn't know I was so so stressed from the go go go and the amount of bad news that it was only until the 4th day of being on the bike that i ACTUALLY realised that I was 'doing it'... I was doing it! :giggle: It wasn't until I was up around the Alpine way, that I realised that inside my helmet it was quiet. It was silent and I could hear the normal riding wind noises. I was acutely aware of the smells of the alpine environments and the fact that I had not seen a single person that whole day since leaving my destination. It was then that I realised the value of your mental health and riding.

I was completely out of my comfort zone, but at the same time I was at most peace, just going with the flow. Smelling every smell and trying to absorb every vision and vista. Savour every corner, twist and hump of such an amazing road. This road wasn't about the speed or how to take corners; it was about just being. Not thinking about the future or the past. Just wow.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
No pressure @Valvoline , but we're hanging for the next installment of your journey - and wondering how you got on at the embassy....... must have sorted the mess ok, but there has to be a story to tell......... :D...... and the ride home ;).

No pressure........ tap tap tappity tap...... :LOL:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts