KTM Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Damnit, I got hit w/the clutch lock issue.

Today riding along I saw the oil light come on, my clutch locked completely to where I couldn't pull the lever in at all. I was able to drop it down to 3rd gear to slide to a stop and not go down.

After stopping I checked for leaks, and there was NO OIL LOST. The dipstick did have bubbles on it (still have to research that), but there was oil, and the bubbles went away after about 20 minutes.

On the road, tried bleeding both the lever and where the clutch line goes (slave?) with no luck.

I was able to get it to neutral and had a buddy come and pick me up.

I will try to see if KTM will cover this issue (out of warranty) only ave 4K miles on it. I also had both forks leaking oil when I bought it used (2700 miles), which they did replace free of charge.

More to come, but I hope it is nothing seriously engine related and maybe only clutch related.

Having the bike for only 4 months and now 2 major issues does not leave me feeling all warm and tingly at this point in time.

Anyone else have this issue and can shed some light on it and what the possible issues, fixes, and cost were?

TIA.

·
Dirt Wizard
4,516 Posts
Doesn't sound like your having much luck.
Did you say the clutch lever has gone solid and you can't pull it in? Could there be something jammed up around the lever area or seized up?

·
Dirt Wizard
4,516 Posts
Ok, Bugger. I don't know a lot about them, just was trying to think on the simple.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Just pull the clutch cover and check the middle bolt, then try the clutch lever see if it moves. Easy check and probably save you 400 bucks from the dealer.

If it doesnt move, but spins, id check the slave cylinder of the clutch. Air bubble? Try re bleeding with a vac bleeder, or see if the slave pushes the clutch rod.

Itll only take 15 mins to check and you can reuse the gasket/o ring on the cover.

·
Full Throttle
2008 RC8 / 2007 690
6,811 Posts
Check your clutch master cylinder if its dry your slave cylinder is done, clutch fluid in engine oil no good.
the slave sits on a plastic plate system out side of the engine cases..........so easy to take off and check in minutes.
same system runs on the 1290. i

·
Dirt Wizard
4,516 Posts
Sorry to state the obvious here, but this is a bloody old thread, why have we dug it up again? Pretty sure [email protected] would've sorted out the issue 2-1/2 years ago.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts