KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 2018 SDR and love it however my real world range is about 300-315km.

The 2020 SDR has a lot of nice improvements however the tank is slightly smaller.

What is the range that you 2019-2020 GT owners are getting out of your GTs?

·
Registered
2020 SDR Black
39 Posts
The 2020 SDR has a lot of nice improvements however the tank is slightly smaller.
Not a direct answer and I didnt know the tank on gen3 is smaller, but I get around 290-300km up here in calgary with some aggressive riding and proper 4-6k ft elevation in the mountains. Mind you I havent pushed it into bottom of the tank, so i dont know actual max mileage, but it's on par with anything else that I've ridden...

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not a direct answer and I didnt know the tank on gen3 is smaller, but I get around 290-300km up here in calgary with some aggressive riding and proper 4-6k ft elevation in the mountains. Mind you I havent pushed it into bottom of the tank, so i dont know actual max mileage, but it's on par with anything else that I've ridden...
The Gen 2 has a 4.76 gallon tank and the Gen 3 is 4.23 gallons--pretty significant reduction. I get about 200 miles (320 km) per tank (safely into reserve) on my '18 with aggressive riding.

Reactions: 2cati

·
Registered
131 Posts
I rode my 2019 sdgt for 320 km yesterday at an admittedly semi relaxed pace with lots of highway ( 120 km/h) but some traffic too and got to 320 km with the gas gauge showing me that I had 120 km range left. I didn't trust that as it dropped from 160 to 140 to 120 in about 20 km so I filled up and took 16.5 liters of gas. The average consumption number on the display showed 4.7 l per hundred KM. Sorry about the metric numbers guys but , Canada eh?

·
Registered
81 Posts
I rode my 2019 sdgt for 320 km yesterday at an admittedly semi relaxed pace with lots of highway ( 120 km/h) but some traffic too and got to 320 km with the gas gauge showing me that I had 120 km range left. I didn't trust that as it dropped from 160 to 140 to 120 in about 20 km so I filled up and took 16.5 liters of gas. The average consumption number on the display showed 4.7 l per hundred KM. Sorry about the metric numbers guys but , Canada eh?
The fuel gauge and, consequently, the range and average fuel consumption indicators are way off on my '18 SDR--I pay no attention to them. I reset my Trip B when I get gas and watch the mileage.

Reactions: 2cati

·
Registered
131 Posts
I figure that I have 23 liters capacity and I put in 16.5 liters after 320 km so I had about 6.5 liters left and at around 5 l /100 that would be about 120 km so it seems that the gauge is about right. 400 to 450 km is a great range. I think I'll carry a little gas can and run it out one day just to see how accurate it actually is.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I figure that I have 23 liters capacity and I put in 16.5 liters after 320 km so I had about 6.5 liters left and at around 5 l /100 that would be about 120 km so it seems that the gauge is about right. 400 to 450 km is a great range. I think I'll carry a little gas can and run it out one day just to see how accurate it actually is.
This is great info ! I stopped trusting my fuel gauge a while ago and I purposely rode my bike dry (while having a small gas can in my top case) and it died abruptly at 319km (Again a 2018 SDR) was riding quiet side streets knowing it was going to die - I wanted to experience the behaviour.

Of course there will be variances based on the type of riding and terrain but I typically top up around 300km to avoid stress.

It makes sense that the GT will have 400km+ given the larger tank!

Please keep us posted on your trial and when it does! My neighbour swears by this method on every new bike he gets so he never gets caught.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Gen 2 has a 4.76 gallon tank and the Gen 3 is 4.23 gallons--pretty significant reduction. I get about 200 miles (320 km) per tank (safely into reserve) on my '18 with aggressive riding.
Thank you for the specific details on the respective capacities ! I recall a review mentioning the tank capacity was slightly reduced to make room for a larger air box but they didn’t list how much is was reduced.

·
Registered
81 Posts
At about 170 miles (that's when I start looking for gas), mine will still show a half tank on the gauge and a range of 130 miles with a 56 mpg average. I've checked the odometer and it's accurate, so the problem is with the fuel gauge. I've heard that the float in the tank that's in a vertical tube can get stuck on full, but never that it moves and then slows down. It's been like this since day 1 and I discussed this with my dealer during the warranty, but they couldn't fix it.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
haha. I’m betting you are pretty close to the limit!!

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
'19 SDGT. I have nearly 5,000 miles on er now.
Usualy the low fuel light come on at 200ish miles, and takes 5 gallon, so about 40mpg.
Worst was 36mpg and best 44mpg.
The trip computer is constantly 10% off high. 44mpg on the dash is 40mpg actual.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
My screen says 42.0 mpg avg and KTM says 6.1 gallons, so that makes 256.2 miles full to bone dry. In truth, I haven't made an actual test. If you need to ride more than 200 miles per stint, you have some cushion on top, How much I have no idea. If 200 miles more or less per tank is enough, you're golden.

For the actual test, fill the tank as full as you can. drain it all out and measure the volume. Then take a long spin of a predetermined mileage that ends at your home, drain and measure again. It still may vary if you ride a different route.

·
Registered
402 Posts
It depends. I get terrible mileage commuting and far better mileage when touring or sport riding. I get anywhere from 150 miles to 200 miles out of a tank depending on the kind of riding I am doing.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My 19 SDGT is averaging 51.1 mpg, has around 6000 miles. Based on that, I could go around 300 miles. My TFT screen says 270 miles when I fill up.

·
Registered
2019 SDGT White
166 Posts
My 19 SDGT is averaging 51.1 mpg, has around 6000 miles. Based on that, I could go around 300 miles. My TFT screen says 270 miles when I fill up.
I'd have to be in rain mode and riding behind my Harley buddies to get that kind of mileage.
By any chance are you still on the OEM rear tire?
Power on the SDGT is sooo tempting.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't ride at racer speeds, above the limits, but not like a pure sport bike. Yes, still on stock Pirelli's. Switching to Continental's after they are done.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
When I fill up, my 2019 SDGT says it is good for 250 miles. It is important to note, most electric fuel pumps get their lubrication from the fuel itself. Therefore, anytime a fuel pump is run dry, you can damage it while trying to re-prime the system. That is why, especially if you are in the mountains, you should never let you gas gauge run below 1/4 tank.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Good advice LTJ...... My GT seems to take around 22.5 ltrs of gas if I get it filled up to the cone in the filler neck......

I have seen over 400kms B4 re-fuel on some rides. Gotta leave room for fuel expansion or it'll pee a puddle out the overflow while you're inside paying.

In any case the current gen2 GT carries about 6ltrs more fuel than the 20 gen3 SDR. Maybe the new 21 gen3 GT might also get a 2ltr smaller fuel tank? We should know soon..... assuming it's to be released to the press in October.

The new 20SDR has a larger airbox with two injectors above the intake trumpets..... hence the 2ltr smaller 16ltr tank volume.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
I did 400 kms once with the wife on the back (2016 GT), cruising at 120kms, put 22 litres in it. When i added 3 tooth larger rear sprocket it dropped to 350kms for around 20 litres (solo) so still economical. Ive notice the new 1290R is very economical. Haven't done the calcs yet but i did 225kms and put 11 litres of fuel in, that was the day i brought the bike and was riding it home. i guess as the engine losses up it will get even better. My mate on the same trip used 2-3 litres more than me on a 2014 1290R , geared down and Akra mapping.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts