KTM Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Gen 2 SDR takes 19 litres from bone dry. At leisurely (touring) speeds I get 55 mpg so range could be up to 220 miles!

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Curious as to their actual capacity. My Gen 1 holds 19.3lt of usable petrol, when it's supposed to be 18lt in total.
My 2019 SDGT owner's manual says Total Tank Capacity 23 Liters = 6.1 US Gallons - Fuel Reserve approx. 3.5 Liters = 3.7 quarts

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
(y)... Dave-O mate, that's 20k/ltr or 56 Aussie/Kiwi miles per gallon...... err in US speak it's 47mpg......

It'll probably get worse as it loosen's up as I know you will twist the wrist harder :D...... but it's not bad - the Ducati V4 Streetfighter gets 15k/ltr ......

Your R has new low profile heads and 'shower head' injectors for the high speed fueling, so it's benefiting from technology and better fuel atomization - progress is a wonderful thing!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Last week I when I filled up at 401Km I put in 20 litres, so there should have been 3 left, admittedly it was all highway with the cruise set at 120 for most of the time, when I did the numbers if I remember correctly it was just over 58 mile per imperial gallon.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Last week I when I filled up at 401Km I put in 20 litres, so there should have been 3 left, admittedly it was all highway with the cruise set at 120 for most of the time, when I did the numbers if I remember correctly it was just over 58 mile per imperial gallon.
Are you still running the standard 17/38 gear set; 58 miles to the gallon is wonderful? From what the gauges tell me, I have been averaging about 45 mph overall.

·
Registered
18 SDR
1,475 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
My Gen 2 SDR takes 19 litres from bone dry. At leisurely (touring) speeds I get 55 mpg so range could be up to 220 miles!
Wow. That’s amazing -350km. I can’t get more than 319km (200 miles) on my 18SDR.

·
Registered
81 Posts
(y)... Dave-O mate, that's 20k/ltr or 56 Aussie/Kiwi miles per gallon...... err in US speak it's 47mpg......

It'll probably get worse as it loosen's up as I know you will twist the wrist harder :D...... but it's not bad - the Ducati V4 Streetfighter gets 15k/ltr ......

Your R has new low profile heads and 'shower head' injectors for the high speed fueling, so it's benefiting from technology and better fuel atomization - progress is a wonderful thing!
At some stage ill take a 3 litre fuel bladder and run the 1290R dry to see how many litres it holds and to see what milage i can get after reserve light comes on. My 2014 1290r with an 18 litre tank actually held 19 litres, so hoping the new 1290R holds more than the advertised 16.5 litres. I picking once i start to rev this bitch and those top end shower injectors come into play the fuel economy will drop. But this thing is so dam fast even under 6000revs, so rarely going to open the taps too full. Track day will be a different story tho.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
At some stage ill take a 3 litre fuel bladder and run the 1290R dry to see how many litres it holds and to see what milage i can get after reserve light comes on. My 2014 1290r with an 18 litre tank actually held 19 litres, so hoping the new 1290R holds more than the advertised 16.5 litres. I picking once i start to rev this bitch and those top end shower injectors come into play the fuel economy will drop. But this thing is so dam fast even under 6000revs, so rarely going to open the taps too full. Track day will be a different story tho.
Electric fuel pumps can be damage, when you run them dry!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are you still running the standard 17/38 gear set; 58 miles to the gallon is wonderful? From what the gauges tell me, I have been averaging about 45 mph overall.
Yes stock gearing, I now have 5500km on it and the mileage seems to be getting better as it gets more Km on it. I think such good fuel consumption is one of the positives of living in the prairies, not many hills and straight roads; when I do head to the mountains things do change a little but not much. Oh and I do know where the rev limiter is so things are not babied in any way.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Yes stock gearing, I now have 5500km on it and the mileage seems to be getting better as it gets more Km on it. I think such good fuel consumption is one of the positives of living in the prairies, not many hills and straight roads; when I do head to the mountains things do change a little but not much. Oh and I do know where the rev limiter is so things are not babied in any way.
Sounds like the only draw back is the flat sections in the center of the tires from the high speed runs down the straightaways! Keep the shinny side up! (y)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Wow. That’s amazing -350km. I can’t get more than 319km (200 miles) on my 18SDR.
I've still got the stock Lambda sensors fitted to keep the closed loop fueling functional, which helps maximize economy. It also has an Arrow decat (with stock can) and has been tweaked with ECU Studio (extra ignition advance, etc.) so that might have improved efficiency further. I can reduce range to around 160 miles when not in touring mode though :oops:

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
:LOL:........ I know, this topic is all talked out by now, but I just stumbled onto a pic of my dash when I got home just as my DTE changed to zero kms as I turned into my driveway........... 17SDGT with stock headers and cat and a K&N airfilter.

I recall draining the tank to check what was in there (it's so easy, just use the balance tube and tap to get the tank bone dry)....... and there was 2 litres in there to keep the fuel pump nice and wet.

I've read on the forum that several other GT's still have fuel for 10+ kms once they have shown zero in the DTE field.

(y)

Attachments

Reactions: acpantera

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've read on the forum that several other GT's still have fuel for 10+ kms once they have shown zero in the DTE field.
My SDR would be the same. Do it nearly every fill, though I'm getting pretty good at not running out now. :rolleyes:

21 - 34 of 34 Posts