KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the forum and wanted to ask your opinion.

I have owned all types of sport, sport-touring, and big touring bikes over the past 25 years, and I recently sold my 2015 BMW R1200RT. I am 6'4" tall and don't want to be leaning over the tank all day causing low back pain. I value an upright seating position, comfortable seat, less than 550 lbs wet weight bike, plenty of power and torque for two-up touring, and offers easy maintenance. So, I am considering a new 1290 Super Adventure S because it sounds like it fits most of my needs or a BMW K1600 GLT. I know the 1290 SAS is only 485 pounds wet and the K1600 is 760 pounds wet, but the K1600 is also more comfortable, but it costs nearly $31K new, or $20K for a 2017 model, and the maintenance on any BMW is expensive.

Anyone have actual experience with the KTM 1290 SAS bike to share any pros and cons I should know about before making a purchase?

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am new to the forum, and wanted to ask your opinion. I have owned all types of sport, sport-touring, and big touring bikes over the past 25 years, and I recently sold my 2015 BMW R1200RT. I am 6'4" tall and don't want to be leaning over the tank all day causing low back pain. I value an upright seating position, comfortable seat, less than 550 lbs wet weight bike, plenty of power and torque for two-up touring, and offers easy maintenance. So, I am considering a new 1290 Adventure S because it sounds like it fits most of those needs. Anyone have actual experience with this bike to share any pros and cons I should know about before making a purchase?
Pro - The awesomest bike for the money anywhere!
Con - no inventory at the dealers around here.
Don't think twice, it'll be the best bike purchase you ever made.
my 2 cents

Reactions: 2cati and Troppo

·
Registered
18 Posts
I got my SAS after someone ran a red light on my Explorer1200. The SAS is way lighter (I can actually get it on the centre stand without getting a hernia) LOADS of grunt from the engine. Power modes are nice-I really noticed a difference in the way power comes on in RAIN mode. I've only done an oil change so far-dead easy but you have to be really careful refilling the oil. The filler neck has a really weird sharp kink in it so it's really easy to overflow. Valve clearances look a bit easier than the Explorer but still not a lot of room. Both are very comfy but adding Rox risers helped on both bikes

·
Registered
153 Posts
Hi Dave,
I own a 2019 SAS after coming off a 1290 Super Duke R.............
I have had 26 bikes including 3 BMW's.... K1200LT, R1200RT R1200R....the SAS is one of the best bikes I have owned.
The BMW's are great bikes....but....very boring.
On the other hand KTM's are very exciting due in large part to the 1290 engine.....fast, reliable and torquey.
As far as comfort goes, the SAS is equal in ergonomics to the BMW's, but the seat on my SAS leaves a little to be desired.
As a touring bike the SAS is awesome....it handles brilliantly with pillion...In fact I wouldn't know my wife is on the back......she maintains the seat is very comfortable and she claims to have plenty of room to stretch out.
The gearbox is great...slick and easy to engage.....neutral can offer a challenge from time to time...but nothing major and certainly not a deal breaker.
Economy is very good with around 400km's (250mls) per tank.
Brakes are OK.....I find them a little soft for want of a better word.........they just don't seem to have the killer stopping power of other bikes I have had (the Super Duke R was the same...so it may be a KTM trait...even though they are Brembo's).
You will probably experience the odd electronic glitch from time to time...........I have had a couple of MTC warnings on the dash that go away after a couple of re-starts.
The bike is tall, but as you are over 6ft you won't have much trouble throwing the leg over.
I rate the handling as its second best feature (the engine being the best)..........you can take corners as fast as you are game...it is stable and direct and inspires confidence....it is very flickable.
The riding position is upright and gives great vision ....I have a weak back and I find no problem in all day riding.
I find the windscreen to be next to useless (in all adjusted positions).........I removed it a few weeks ago to see what the difference was......and to be honest, it was only marginally more windy so it proved that the screen doesn't do a lot...I'm 6ft 1in.
Maybe the new SAS has a better windscreen.......I would hope so !
Should you buy a SAS or K1600..........depends if you like thrills and excitement .....or comfort and cosy........
I'm in my twilight years and I'm still not ready for comfort and cosy.
Looking forward to your conclusion...........
Good Luck.

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,414 Posts
Considered the SAS a few years ago and found that if you are two up the passenger has very little wiggle room on the right footpeg. Her heel rested on the muffler and the hard bag made sure it stayed there. One other thing since you mentioned ease of maintenance, for some reason the ADV has a standard swingarm ... the R/GT is single sided - making rear wheel come off in seconds. Handy for tire swaps. Course they don't offer new GT's this year but there are plenty of low milers out there... suggest taking both for a spin if possible?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
@oldfella, I'll be over to your house soon so we can ride those 26 bikes together.

I had over a dozen enduro and sports bikes in the past and the 425-pound Honda Nighthawk 700S might have been the most fun. More recently, I bought a new Honda Goldwing in 2018 and sold it within 24 months. I found it comfortable, like a recliner, but at 845 pounds, only 97.8 horsepower and 108 pound-feet of torque, it's so it feels like you are riding a big fat slow responding whale. Also, I did not like that you could not remove the trunk or side bags, and my helmet could not be stored in the trunk or either side bag because they reduced the size of storage in 2018 from past models.

After that whale, I mean, Gold Wing, I bought a 525-pound 2015 BMW R1200RT. Immediately, I liked the lighter and more agile feeling, but I found it to be a bit boring. It claims to have 125 HP, but its slow response feels like 70 HP. Also, it sounds like a lawn tractor, and the seating was too cramped for any ride beyond 3 hours. I recently rode a friend's BMW K1600GTL Exclusive all day with my wife. She liked the comfort a lot, and at 708-pounds and 160 HP @ 6750 RPMs and 129 lbs of torque @ 5250 rpm, I found it to be a much more enjoyable ride compared to the Gold Wing Whale. On the second day, I took the K1600's rear trunk off and rode by myself, and that machine has lots of power!!

I am planning to ride the KTM 1290 SAS soon, and I'm sure at 485 lbs dry-weight, 160 HP @ 9000 RMP, and 101 lbs of torque at 6500 RPMs, it will be a joy.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I have owned all types of sport, sport-touring, and big touring bikes over the past 25 years, and I recently sold my 2015 BMW R1200RT. I am 6'4" tall and don't want to be leaning over the tank all day causing low back pain. I value an upright seating position, comfortable seat, less than 550 lbs wet weight bike, plenty of power and torque for two-up touring, and offers easy maintenance. So, I am considering a new 1290 Super Adventure S because it sounds like it fits most of my needs or a BMW K1600 GLT. I know the 1290 SAS is only 485 pounds wet and the K1600 is 760 pounds wet, but the K1600 is also more comfortable, but it costs nearly $31K new, or $20K for a 2017 model, and the maintenance on any BMW is expensive.

Anyone have actual experience with the KTM 1290 SAS bike to share any pros and cons I should know about before making a purchase?
I own a 2020, I mostly love the bike! The engine is fantastic, suspension is great, even gets descent gas mileage. The cons, I’m 6 foot 3 and my legs are a bit cramped and the OEM seat is trash! I’ve got the power parts comfort seat and it’s a bit better but not by much!

·
Registered
3 Posts

I own a 1290sar and find it ticks all the box’s ! Sports/tour/ off road . I was once asked how do you handle all that h/p simply said ….. with a big smile 😊

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have an 18 SA-S and it's a fantastic bike, was going to upgrade to the 22 SA-S but I couldn't do it, I love the 18 and while I dont doubt the 22 is better I cant imagine by much given how good the previous gen is.

·
Registered
3 Posts
And for what it's worth, I have a 2016 Super Adventure.
Except for the normal maintenance I have mostly just ridden it. The fuel sender float sunk. I put a new one in this month. That's the only thing that has failed.
I'm old and not that tall but I don't find it very intimidating. You don't have to flatfoot it if you are going!
583 pounds on my scales with 7.8 gallons of fuel. 640 with all bags and a load of tools and crap to go to work with.
The old style dash is just dandy and the laminar windscreen is impressively good IMHO. The low position and the high are both useful. Stock seat is only good in town. Power part seat is a bit better.
For fun I ended up with an Open Flash Tablet. The short version of the story is the SA now has 180 HP and still runs like a kitten. Fun indeed!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Hi Dave,
I own a 2019 SAS after coming off a 1290 Super Duke R.............
I have had 26 bikes including 3 BMW's.... K1200LT, R1200RT R1200R....the SAS is one of the best bikes I have owned.
The BMW's are great bikes....but....very boring.
On the other hand KTM's are very exciting due in large part to the 1290 engine.....fast, reliable and torquey.
As far as comfort goes, the SAS is equal in ergonomics to the BMW's, but the seat on my SAS leaves a little to be desired.
As a touring bike the SAS is awesome....it handles brilliantly with pillion...In fact I wouldn't know my wife is on the back......she maintains the seat is very comfortable and she claims to have plenty of room to stretch out.
The gearbox is great...slick and easy to engage.....neutral can offer a challenge from time to time...but nothing major and certainly not a deal breaker.
Economy is very good with around 400km's (250mls) per tank.
Brakes are OK.....I find them a little soft for want of a better word.........they just don't seem to have the killer stopping power of other bikes I have had (the Super Duke R was the same...so it may be a KTM trait...even though they are Brembo's).
You will probably experience the odd electronic glitch from time to time...........I have had a couple of MTC warnings on the dash that go away after a couple of re-starts.
The bike is tall, but as you are over 6ft you won't have much trouble throwing the leg over.
I rate the handling as its second best feature (the engine being the best)..........you can take corners as fast as you are game...it is stable and direct and inspires confidence....it is very flickable.
The riding position is upright and gives great vision ....I have a weak back and I find no problem in all day riding.
I find the windscreen to be next to useless (in all adjusted positions).........I removed it a few weeks ago to see what the difference was......and to be honest, it was only marginally more windy so it proved that the screen doesn't do a lot...I'm 6ft 1in.
Maybe the new SAS has a better windscreen.......I would hope so !
Should you buy a SAS or K1600..........depends if you like thrills and excitement .....or comfort and cosy........
I'm in my twilight years and I'm still not ready for comfort and cosy.
Looking forward to your conclusion...........
Good Luck.
If you replace your stock clutch slave cylinder with one made by Oberon, your problems finding neutral will be over. Before I replaced this part on my 2019 SDGT, every few thousand miles, the bike would get to where I could not find neutral with the bike stopped and the engine running. To fix the problem temporarily, I would burp the top clutch bleeder valve, but then the problem would return. Since replacing the part, I have not had any more clutch problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi there i know that i will be stoned but here goes, last three bike were in order Gen 2 Hyabusa, BMW 1299 gs, African twin dct, ZZR1400 and then n bought a 1290 sas 2021 model. reason power wise it was the closest to a superbike. deff did not handle like any of the previous bikes had handling problems from day one. eventually they were all sorted by advice from the fellow ktm owners, dealer and myself. one see daily problems on forums about the new 1290. Mine is still pulling to the right when you leave the handle bar dont seem that we will solve this problem soon. one would think that at the price all these problem would have been solved already. My piece of mind,
1. i didn't ride the bike before i bought it on second thought most prob not have bought
2. Bike vibration irritates me
3.Power is awesome
4. Stock seats are very hard ( options available at a price)
5. Teck pack that has most of the nice stuff you will have to fork out some more bucks
In closure two things drive it before you buy it and if you going to use it on road most of the time there are better options

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I've got a 2022 1290 sas and a 2012 k1600 gtl. I prefer the sas for everything but cross country highway riding. We ride 650 miles to the smokey mountains in a day and it's easy and comfortable and at 85 mph gets probably twice the range as the gtl and when I get to the NC or georgia twisties the sas is much more fun than the gtl. A couple weeks age I rode chicago to phoenix and back and the gtl was definitely the tool for the job. 1000 mile days in high winds with power to get through tough missouri traffic. completely different tools for waay different jobs.

Reactions: 2cati

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an 18 SA-S and it's a fantastic bike, was going to upgrade to the 22 SA-S but I couldn't do it, I love the 18 and while I dont doubt the 22 is better I cant imagine by much given how good the previous gen is.
My friend bought the '22 R after trying my '17. He has been disappointed in how it has been tamed and after riding it, I agree. He really liked the raw, snarling nature of the gen 1 (power wheelies, QUICK steering, and sportbike like handling) We both appreciate the improved fit and finish, electronics, narrower seat/easier reach to the ground (both of us are 5'10"), and less vibration. I think it will be better once he performs mods similarly to those I have done (+3 rear sprocket, intake/exhaust/tune, etc).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts