KTM Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've run across throttle spacers on ebay and wondered if anyone has tried them before and could comment on how well they work. My GT does have more cable slop than any other throttle I've ever used before but I have gotten mostly use to it. For those of you out of the loop:

·
Registered
2015 KTM SDR
13 Posts
I have had either those or some just like them on my SDR for about a year. They absolutely remove all throttle cable slop, very direct now, I really like them, if I didn't, I could remove them in about five minutes and things would be just like they were before installation. Doesn't cost much for a noticeable difference. A number of vendors sell them, all for about the same price, the wait is the only difference.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been wondering about these for a while now but haven't wanted to pull the throttle and control assembly apart to install it....
how much of a pain is it to get the throttle grip out of the housing without jiggering it up??
Do you have to "split the control housing open" to get the throttle tube out??
And is there any chance of it coming off inside the housing and possibly locking/jamming the throttle open?? Could be a serious problem with a SDR :(

·
Registered
989 Posts
I may be in the minority. I ordered these and found them to be a sh*t fit. Hope you have better luck. I used some other solution to take the gap up

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really MM? Thanks for letting me know. If mine doesn't fit well could a Dremel tool shape it into a better fit? Also, what did you use instead?

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
I used the nylon versions, and it took the slop out, but in the future, I may get some aluminum versions and file them for precise fit. I was able to get one plastic spacer in easily and the second one had to be trimmed. No way a 3rd would have gone. Good idea, but maybe not all that well executed.

·
Registered
2015 KTM SDR
13 Posts
Remove the four phiilips head screws on bottom half of throttle cover, lift up cover, it will be very obvious where the doo dads go because they will be right there, and should be quite easy to insert the spacers. Tight fit, yes, otherwise they would not do what you want, difficult, not at all.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Really MM? Thanks for letting me know. If mine doesn't fit well could a Dremel tool shape it into a better fit? Also, what did you use instead?
Not sure a dremel may help. If you try to even bend them to confirm slow and gentle like, they snap as they are cast metal. I got creative and used the tip of a zip tie wedged within. Won't bind and was the correct thickness.
I'm on the minority side here so ignore my rants lol

·
Registered
19’ SDR
150 Posts
Watch for the thin heated grip wires when separating the housing. Simple install and I do like the slop taken out of the KTM throttle ,especially committing into a corner. I'm old school and I am used to a tight throttle cable so this shadows that feeling a tad. Can't justify the price tag from Ducatispacers but it is what it is.

·
Registered
772 Posts
In the old days the slop was an important thing to prevent uncommanded throttle inputs. If there is still a reason to have the slop I don't know it, maybe some part for thermal expansion/contraction? But not idea.

I simply ride the bike, I can't say I even notice it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts