KTM Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend asked recently which of my bikes was my favorite and why. It caused me to think back over many years and many good and bad motorcycles I have owned and ridden, and some i would have liked to own. I would ask our friends here on forum to post up here which one bike was their favorite, and why.... let's hear it then.
By the way..my favorite was a little Honda XL 175. Had lots of bikes before and after that Honda but that was my favorite because it was my play bike used to follow my kids around in the trails while they were learning to ride and enjoy their own motorcycles. Some of the best fun we ever had riding motorcycles was had on that little Honda with my kids (riding Hondas) in the trails on XR75s and Z50s

·
Registered
691 Posts
BMW K1. I still have her. Big an heavy, huge turning radius. But runs like a train on rails propelled by steroids. Was riding up the road from Napier to Taupo (New Zealand). No houses on that one, just a road through hills, forests and fields. Came up to a bunch of cars and I easily passed them all, felt like any passing... until I looked down at the speedo when I was past them all and realised I was doing 220Km/h... And that is perhaps the biggest issue with her, she is too easy to take over our speed limit here (100Km/h) withouth even realising it!

I was a CEO for an organisation for a few years and we had regular meetings in Wellington (320Km away) I was expected to fly. But I always used the K1 as it took same time to get there from home compared to driving to the airport, checking in, flying down and taxi to the event. And was soo much more fun! Plus coming back home I could leave straight after the meeting instead of sitting at the airport waiting for my flight.

I took her on a group ride around South Island (White Ribbon Ride) a few years ago. The group needed stopping for fuel all the time. I could do over 500Km's before I needed to fill up.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
I love my '71 Norton SS. I've owned it since 1973 and as well as parts from several different years, it also has many hand-made parts and is set up to fit me to a T. When I get on the stock '73, it feels like a different machine due to the stock bars, pegs and seat. Is the '71 the best? Of course not, that would be the SDGT. But I built the '71 myself as well as all the custom-made parts. After 35 years, it needs a head gasket, but little else.

Shown here at Daytona International Speedway, where it served as daily transportation from our hotel on the beach to the racetrack.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Can you have two favorites?? Ahhh.. phuck it I will have as many as I want!

I used to have a 48 Custom Panhead (the one with the springer in the pics) and I really miss her! But her younger sister, the 65 Panhead, is not bad substitute ... she will get a work-over this year and we will do some serious riding in 2020
!

:cool:(y)
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
691 Posts
Hmm Rangerman... I think we have failed. The heading was: "What is your favorite bike?? Why?

(Notice the clear "favorite bike" it sort of makes you pick only one...)

So let's try again:

"What is your favorite bike?? Why?

For me, the BMW K1. Why? Because it is odd and very few alive anymore, and a delight to ride!

·
Super Moderator
1,814 Posts
Hmm Rangerman... I think we have failed. The heading was: "What is your favorite bike?? Why?

(Notice the clear "favorite bike" it sort of makes you pick only one...)

So let's try again:

"What is your favorite bike?? Why?

For me, the BMW K1. Why? Because it is odd and very few alive anymore, and a delight to ride!

Well Axzon, ever since I attended school I never really liked to fail....
So how about a condensed version for you to satisfy the necessary requirements of this thread?

But my all time favorite and the one that I would choose out of them all would have to be the 2011 second gen Kawasaki KLR650.
Number 11 in proper order of (all the bikes that I have owned) and the last motorcycle that we will purchase new.

We have really enjoyed this "do it all" motorcycle.
No frills just function...
The way I like everything to be.
Just enough of what we need to get us there and back with a proven reputation that spans 31 years!
This is the motorcycle that defines who I am as a motorcyclist.

Rangerman

·
Registered
691 Posts
Well Axzon, ever since I attended school I never really liked to fail....
So how about a condensed version for you to satisfy the necessary requirements of this thread?

But my all time favorite and the one that I would choose out of them all would have to be the 2011 second gen Kawasaki KLR650.
Number 11 in proper order of (all the bikes that I have owned) and the last motorcycle that we will purchase new.
View attachment 92756
We have really enjoyed this "do it all" motorcycle.
No frills just function...
The way I like everything to be.
Just enough of what we need to get us there and back with a proven reputation that spans 31 years!
This is the motorcycle that defines who I am as a motorcyclist.

Rangerman

·
Registered
691 Posts
Nice! Do understand me, I am still in love with all the bikes I ever owned from my 1968 Vespa 50 through to my 1962 Royal Enfield Meteor Minior Sport 500 (that I parked in my bedroom on the 2'nd floor between rides) all the way to the two Yamaha XV750 (one red and the other blue...) I am currently building. But so far the K1 really stands ourt!

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
57 Posts
I've pretty much loved every bike I've ever owned, never met a Moto that wasn't a riot...and im going to take the easy way out and say my current stable ...

18 1290 Super Duke R - this bike is an absolute riot. Dyno Tuned *** hauler, ferocious yet easy as hell to ride...torque off the line and rip your arms out at 10k rpm
18 1290 Super Adv S - ditto above but carries luggage, comfortable, great all around motorcycle
19 350xc - air forks, 13.5k rpm motor that pulls like a banshie, lightest bike in it's class, traction control/maps - just a marvel of a dirtbike
17 (or any of my old) 300xc's - have a particular soft spot for ktm 300's in single track, this one added the airforks and balancer (smooth) and lost 8 lbs....it's a weapon...

Bikes are all more capable than me, but every single one is advanced, fast and most importantly they put a huge dumb grin on my face every time I ride!

Off to ride the Super Duke to work - leaving early so I can do a 50 mile loop in the mountains around Masonville CO...great commute (only 10 miles direct but tend to get lost in the mountains once or twice a week)!!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
For me (30+ bikes over past 15 years, 8 in the stable right now), it's much easier to answer my least favorite - 2004 Honda ST1300. Tried 3 different seats, didn't matter. After 50-100 miles on a so-called "sport touring" bike, I couldn't stand it. Miserable back ache. Other than that, I love riding, and ride the rest of the bikes constantly.

I know, I broke the rules of the game also. :eek:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts