KTM Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1632 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I put 200 miles on the clock this weekend. The weather has cooled a bit and the bike loves it. Got her up to 90 mph on a smooth rolling county road in the middle of nowhere. The bike just kept pulling. Today will be a short ride after work. Or cleaning if it's raining. Either way a day with the Duke is a win for me.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
This thread is awesome. Where do I buy a copy of Part 1? :)

Spring sprang here. The mercury hit 30, but now it is rainy and below 20 again *shiver*.

Not doon nuthin' with Dukey today.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I like the laid back atmosphere of Part 2! I always enjoy hearing about people enjoying their Dukes, even if you didn't really do anything!

I'm coming up on the 10,000 mile mark, certainly before the end of this season and MAN I absolutely LOVE this bike! I ride it nearly every day and it never gets old. As far as what I have done lately? I finally had an epiphany after holding the ABS button every time Ive started it for the last year and pulled the damn fuse out! No more ABS, no more waiting for the light to start flashing!

Highly recommended if you are always coming into corners a little too hot!

·
Registered
162 Posts
I stared at mine sitting in the garage today...I pulled the exhaust off three weeks ago and im still waiting on Remus to ship my new one out....

·
Registered
162 Posts
I always get asked how many miles do I think the engine will last but I never know what to say lol Ive always had 25,000 miles in my head for some reason. Honestly as hard as i ride the Duke i would be happy if it lasted that long. What do yall think?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
and pulled the damn fuse out! No more ABS, no more waiting for the light to start flashing!
Up there for thinking. I am going to follow your lead. Ta. Larso.

I always get asked how many miles do I think the engine will last but I never know what to say lol Ive always had 25,000 miles in my head for some reason. Honestly as hard as i ride the Duke i would be happy if it lasted that long. What do yall think?

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. My dealer's mechanic said 75K before the head comes off. And I have seen an opened up LC4-690 after about that distance and it was mint.

·
Super Moderator
2,657 Posts
I'm in a boat with the bike heading for Germany and then Austria for the 2015 Cannonball Bike Run.
Let the mayhem begin.

·
Registered
267 Posts
It has been hot and windy in the desert that I live in so I have sort of neglected the Duke. But, I did look at it in the garage today and I wondered how long the battery will hold a sufficient charge to start the bike? My DR-Z SM, is still waiting for my brother to come take it off my hands and it has a Battery Tender hooked up to it as experience taught me that the little battery in the DR-Z loses its ability to start the bike really quickly. Some say that it is a drain caused by the instruments, but who knows? I have a new Battery Tender to hook the KTM up to but I have to get the DR-Z out of the way before I can deploy a charger to the KTM. So, I worry about the KTM, but it has a bigger battery so perhaps it can sit for weeks and still start?

As for riding it? I am discouraged after watching the videos and reading the discussions on this board since it is now obvious that I lack the skill set required to really ride the Duke. I don't do track days, and, I can't pull wheelies or stoppies, and the thought of backing a motorcycle in drives me to drink. I just thought that it was a nice big lightweight single that I might be able to push around fairly easily and that it should make for some relaxed riding with all that torque (compard to a DR-Z). Little did I know how seriously people took that "Ready to Race" motto and that almost all the Duke riders were semi-pros at least who turned off the ABS and rode the wheels off their bikes.

So now I am worried that I will embarrass the entire KTM community by not representing while chugging around at my slow pace. But, I will have to suit up and hit the road very soon as bikes need to be exercised or they can gum up. I'll just pull over and pretend to have mechanical problems when a bunch of cruisers, such as full dress Harleys, catch up to me on a curvy road.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I left work early, honestly with no intentions of going for a ride. I had (have) a ton of other work I need to finish up with my side business. But when I pulled into the garage and saw my Duke sitting there, so beautiful....so neglected. I had to take her for a rip. I headed out to my favorite twisty road for some puckering and finished off with a cruise through the local college, revving at all the pretty ladies. only two looked at me :001_rolleyes:

Now she's tucked away for the night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't feel bad, Tetge. I've never done a wheelie or a stoppie in my life, and I don't plan on starting now that I have a Duke. Have fun with your bike and don't worry at all about what other riders think of you. Honestly, when I see someone doing a wheelie on the street, I think what most people do...what a jerk.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Rode at 2500rpm in 2nd & 3rd gear with no jerkiness, whacked it WFO and ripped through all the gears till redline. Stopped to admire the vista from a mountain top. Power wheelied out of hairpin turns at 4500rpm. Enjoying the pc-5/ arrow full exhaust sound and smoothness.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Lazy casual 60 mile ride after work yesterday. The cooler weather has really mellowed me out. Never revved it over 6000 and had a great time cruising around before rush hour.
Now at about 3,200 miles the bike has never felt better. Really smoothed out. It amazes me how my mood dictates my riding style from day to day.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Lowered the shifter a couple of splines for better reach. Mounted small saddlebags for carrying stuff. Got rid of ugly stickers on frame. Can the clock be changed so that it does NOT read in military time? The manual doesn't say.

1 - 20 of 1632 Posts