KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's KTM of the Month Challenge!
241 - 260 of 274 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
:cool: Did you go with the full exhaust??Muffler part looks good...
I already had an ebay cat delete. I got the muffler off a fellow forum member. The sound is decent, not much different than a stock can but it weighs less. The CF mounting bracket is not so great or secure, I mightend up fab’ing one from stainless. The best thing I did for sound was opening the airbox.

·
Registered
124 Posts
:cool: What is different from a Duke to a R ? I have a 18 690 Duke and love it , I have put 6700 miles on so far, Why not ride her??
Very little difference. Some people like the adjustable suspension so they can tell others it is adjustable. Other stuff like rearsets and exhaust usually gets swapped out on the standard version anyway. I think the Duke has little value as an art piece; it’s certainly no 916 or first-gen Monster. The Duke’s value is in the riding satisfaction it brings, the staccato blat of the exhaust, the thrill of out-riding other bikes with 50% displacement advantages. I have a feeling R1 Crasher is just pulling our legs. He’s currently on the mend, physically and mentally from the R1 getoff and the Duke is wall art until he can muster the strength and courage to throw his leg over it and tickle the starter button.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Very little difference. Some people like the adjustable suspension so they can tell others it is adjustable. Other stuff like rearsets and exhaust usually gets swapped out on the standard version anyway. I think the Duke has little value as an art piece; it’s certainly no 916 or first-gen Monster. The Duke’s value is in the riding satisfaction it brings, the staccato blat of the exhaust, the thrill of out-riding other bikes with 50% displacement advantages. I have a feeling R1 Crasher is just pulling our legs. He’s currently on the mend, physically and mentally from the R1 getoff and the Duke is wall art until he can muster the strength and courage to throw his leg over it and tickle the starter button.
Genuinely it is in my collection..Here in OZ there are no more. Finished, gone, Someday someone might want an as brand new one.

This is also in the collection not ridden in HB

·
Registered
205 Posts
Bought a near new Duke 690R. For my collection. Not going to put K's on it. Just look at it. View attachment 99985
I have a 690 R of exactly the same model and it's great. As the last of the line, and the R model if any Duke will appreciate in value over time, that's the one. And it's in the best colour scheme. But you really are missing out on a treat not riding it. They put a ridiculous smile on your face.

·
Registered
205 Posts
:cool: What is different from a Duke to a R ? I have a 18 690 Duke and love it , I have put 6700 miles on so far, Why not ride her??
Enough to make it cheaper than doing the upgrades yourself. Fully adjustable suspension front and rear, with 15mm extra travel, Akrapovic end can, Powerparts rear set rider footrests, crash bungs on front and rear wheel spindles, Track pack including cornering ABS, Powerparts air filter cover. That's just off the top of my head. R model not available in the USA.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 690 R of exactly the same model and it's great. As the last of the line, and the R model if any Duke will appreciate in value over time, that's the one. And it's in the best colour scheme. But you really are missing out on a treat not riding it. They put a ridiculous smile on your face.
I have previously had a 690 R I have other bikes that I ride, pay rego and insure. I cannot ride them all.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Finally got the full Arrow exhaust for my 690. Left db-killer in at least for now and it sounds amazing. Couldn't take her for a ride because of snow but I can't wait for the sping to arrive. I also got her re-mapped for full exhaust at local KTM dealer. Next thing is to get the DIY-licence plate holder ready. Got bored with the powerpart-one because it throws all the water onto my back when it's rainy. Also the angle of the plate is too little IMO. Lets see how that works out when I get it finished.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Finally got the full Arrow exhaust for my 690. Left db-killer in at least for now and it sounds amazing. Couldn't take her for a ride because of snow but I can't wait for the sping to arrive. I also got her re-mapped for full exhaust at local KTM dealer. Next thing is to get the DIY-licence plate holder ready. Got bored with the powerpart-one because it throws all the water onto my back when it's rainy. Also the angle of the plate is too little IMO. Lets see how that works out when I get it finished. View attachment 100152
What year is that? I didn't think KTM could change mapping anymore and PCV or alternate was required for additional fuel?

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
What year is that? I didn't think KTM could change mapping anymore and PCV or alternate was required for additional fuel?

It's 2012 and the guy at dealer said that it's a map for full exhaust without a cat. I tried to ask how it changes the bikes behavior but he couldn't tell almost anything. Re-mapping costed just 60€ so I thougt that I would give it a shot and if it doesn't work out I just return the stock map. On neutral it feels like it's revving faster and doesn't backfire but the truth will be out only when I get to test it on the road.

Can you tell me more about that PCV because I haven't heard about it before?

·
Registered
111 Posts
It's 2012 and the guy at dealer said that it's a map for full exhaust without a cat. I tried to ask how it changes the bikes behavior but he couldn't tell almost anything. Re-mapping costed just 60€ so I thougt that I would give it a shot and if it doesn't work out I just return the stock map. On neutral it feels like it's revving faster and doesn't backfire but the truth will be out only when I get to test it on the road.

Can you tell me more about that PCV because I haven't heard about it before?
I think you can still mess with fueling from the dealer on that year so.....

PCV is Power Commander Five and it's a fueling module. There's also the O2 dongles and Kev's fueling dongle for your bike I think. There's some good info in this thread:

·
Registered
205 Posts

The most recent motors/ECUs are heavily protected from the factory. The first time I took my 2017 690 R to be re-mapped I was told that they basically couldn't update the map due to write protection. A year later and they now have some software that lets them update all the maps. I know that earlier models could be updated by TuneECU, but not sure when that stopped being an option. The real problem is changing the closed-loop mapping. That's what affects low speed rideability, which is what most people are concerned with. A PCV won't help with that, unfortunately.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The most recent motors/ECUs are heavily protected from the factory. The first time I took my 2017 690 R to be re-mapped I was told that they basically couldn't update the map due to write protection. A year later and they now have some software that lets them update all the maps. I know that earlier models could be updated by TuneECU, but not sure when that stopped being an option. The real problem is changing the closed-loop mapping. That's what affects low speed rideability, which is what most people are concerned with. A PCV won't help with that, unfortunately.
Yep. I have a 2018 and both the Rottweiler and Kev's O2 mod. I have PCV with AutoTune so current running the Rottweiler dongle but will go back to Kev's once I get my fueling dialed.

241 - 260 of 274 Posts