KTM Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2022 1290 Super Duke EVO
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Like the title says, I haven't been able to figure out what this part is. It's located under the left side tank shroud, has a round push button on top of it and is approximately 2" wide X 3" long X 3/4" tall.

I noticed this while installing a few upgrades the other day. After looking through all 168 pages of the owners manual, I couldn't find it mentioned anywhere.

Another thing that has me scratching my head is the Rottweiler Performance Stage 3 emissions kit for big twins. All the install info I've found is on the Gen 1 and 2 SDRs. I can figure out the SAS system parts, but not the cannister parts. Was the cannister system removed for the Gen 3? Do the SAS and cannister plug in dongles work the same as on the earlier Gens?

FWIW, the new exhaust on the bike is the full Spark Grid 0 system with a Healtech ESE dongle.

EDIT: I found the cannister under the left side of the tank when I just pulled the tank off the bike.

Now I'll just need to see if the Rotty dongles work on the Gen 3.

·
Registered
2022 1290 Super Duke EVO
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got off the phone with Rottweiler Performance and they said the same thing. They also confirmed the SAS and cannister dongles work on the Gen 3 SDR, but they haven't updated their website or videos to reflect that. Biggest difference between the earlier gens is that the BT module will need to be relocated or a bracket fabbed up for it since it won't have a home with the cannister gone. I'm working on sorting that out now and am taking pics as I go. If anyone is interested I can do a write up on it once it's done.

·
Registered
2020 KTM SuperDuke R, 2019 KTM XC-W TPI, 2009 Triumph Speed Triple, 1999 Yamaha YZF-R6
32 Posts
I haven't done all this yet, as I'm waiting on my Akrapovic, but I think I remember someone saying they just left their canister there, but not hooked up, for mounting purposes?

·
Registered
2022 1290 Super Duke EVO
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I couldn't leave that cannister alone though. Sooo...

I cut the wedge shaped dovetail off of the cannister, trimmed the BT bracket and then glued the two parts to each other. The BT module and the re-engineered bracket goes off and on the frame mount for the cannister like it was designed that way.

·
Registered
2022 1290 Super Duke EVO
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

This is the dovetail I cut off the charcoal cannister.

This is the BT bracket I cut up. I should have kept those little side clips, but hind sight is 50/50. 😆

Modded BT bracket glued and screwed.

Cannister frame bracket got put on a diet and a clearance hole was added for the wires coming from the BT module.

BT mounted to the modded cannister bracket assembly and ready to go back on the bike.

·
Registered
117 Posts
How much did the Spark exhaust system cost and where did you buy from?

Nice job on the canister delete!! Will be looking to do this in the not too distant future.

Cheers

·
Registered
2022 1290 Super Duke EVO
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The Spark exhaust is from Italy, so expect a fair amount of wait time after you've ordered it. AFAIK the only importers right now for them are Moto-D racing in CT.

As far as price, they are about $2500 for a full system and around half that or less for just the slip-on. I'll probably be selling the single Grid-O slip on once the twin under tail Grid-O slip-on I ordered arrives. I've been running the single Grid-O slip-on almost since new on the factory mid pipe. I got tired of waiting for the twin under tail setup so I finally mounted the Spark mid pipe. Just the slip-on with the factory mid pipe wasn't much louder that the factory pipe to my ears. However, now that the exhaust valve is gone and the new mid pipe is installed, I'm sure it's going to be noticeably louder. I'll find out exactly how much louder after putting it all back together tomorrow.

EDIT: @Lowrance , Sorry there mate. I just noticed you're on the other side of the pond. The prices I mentioned above are in USD. The only Spark distributor I could find for the UK is MSS Performance, located at 6 Commerce Way CO2 8HH Colchester. The Grid-0 full exhaust I got is listed as Euro 5 compliant, but you'll have to check their website if you're looking at a different model.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm actually a Yank from So Cal. Just over in the UK for a month or so. Thanks for the leg work though.

I wonder if you can buy just the exhaust system without the silencer....I have an SC silencer I really like and think it would bolt up to that header system.

Cheers

·
Registered
2022 1290 Super Duke EVO
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the Grid-0 single side slip-on worked with the factory mid pipe, but the can was very close to the rear tire. Much better clearance with the full Spark exhaust all together. Not sure how well the Spark mid pipe would fit with a SC can. :unsure:

EDIT: Just got an email from Moto-D with a tracking number for my twin undertail slip-on. 🥳

·
Registered
KTM 1290 Super Duke R 3.0
38 Posts
I'm actually a Yank from So Cal. Just over in the UK for a month or so. Thanks for the leg work though.

I wonder if you can buy just the exhaust system without the silencer....I have an SC silencer I really like and think it would bolt up to that header system.

Cheers
Yes u can buy the header only. Send them a mail (y)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just got off the phone with Rottweiler Performance and they said the same thing. They also confirmed the SAS and cannister dongles work on the Gen 3 SDR, but they haven't updated their website or videos to reflect that. Biggest difference between the earlier gens is that the BT module will need to be relocated or a bracket fabbed up for it since it won't have a home with the cannister gone. I'm working on sorting that out now and am taking pics as I go. If anyone is interested I can do a write up on it once it's done.
I removed the canister and zip tied the BT module to the frame.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts