KTM Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
My first motorcycle was what I described as a “small grown-up” motorcycle (a 650 single). It went fine on a freeway with power to pass into the extralegal. Long story short: I wouldn’t wish anyone (in the US) to get a motorcycle that can’t keep up on a freeway if it’s for road transportation use..

Best wishes selling those units and making profits. I wouldn’t consider below a ~400 four stroke, regardless of any “urban fun”, and even that’s pushing it a little.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My first motorcycle was what I described as a “small grown-up” motorcycle (a 650 single). It went fine on a freeway with power to pass into the extralegal. Long story short: I wouldn’t wish anyone (in the US) to get a motorcycle that can’t keep up on a freeway if it’s for road transportation use..

Best wishes selling those units and making profits. I wouldn’t consider below a ~400 four stroke, regardless of any “urban fun”, and even that’s pushing it a little.
Duke 390 has plenty of power for freeway. Even enough to get you in trouble if not Careful

Sent from my VOG-L04 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I’m dropping in on a Duke 200 this week, from Edge Powersports in SLC, UT.

In the past I’ve had a DRZ400, Vstrom 650, and a Honda Grom. ( at least for street bikes )

The Vstrom was great for long distances, but I don’t really do that anymore ( new wife is a travel agent and kinda a travel snob )

Grom was fairly nice, kinda sort of, in a round about way, if you squinted hard enough, for a daily commuter bike to work and back. Rode it all summer from May till now... BUT just not enough pep.

I had considered a Duke 390, but here’s the deal. I commute on streets to work, 10 miles each way. Max speed limit is 45. I also am frugal.

For what I do for riding, I just don’t think the 390 would be worth it, the extra money that is. The TFT console, while cool, won’t really make my daily commute any better, also the extra power, won’t do me much good, in stop and go, with a max speed limit of 45. I truly use my motorcycles these days for commuting and general errands running, and luckily almost all my errands can be ran within 5-10 miles of my house, with no need for freeway riding. Also as stated, I love the better gas mileage. I’m pretty thrifty.

So, a Duke 200 in white is coming home with me this week.

I’m that target audience. I want something that is faster, better riding and more comfortable than my Grom. Those 12 wheels really suck on manhole covers and small pot holes. But i don’t really need or desire something as much as the 390.

I’ll report back this week when I’ve got it. It’s still pretty damn warm here in SLC, I could easily get another 45-60 days of riding to work, so I should get to feel it out quite a bit before it gets parked for the winter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Duke 200 this week. I'm a very short guy at 5'4". I already own a Grom but mostly use it for stunts and ripping around the neighbor hood. I LOVE THE DUKE 200 so far! I'm still in break in period so can't go above 7500 rpm and I can tell all the torque in this little guy is right about there. I can get her to 63mph at around 8k rpm so once I can open it up I'm sure I will be able to hit 80mph. The problem now is there are ZERO aftermarket parts. I really want an exhaust but I'm not sure what will fit. The exhaust is routed differant than the 390 so that won't work. But anyway I do like it and im sure ALOT of the Grom guys will as well. Small displacement bikes a making their spot in the USA market very quickly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Over heating issue started on day 3 of riding in 68F weather. So I put her up in the garage and idled the engine and sure enough the fan is not turning on. Went into high coolant temp then engine light came on so I shut it down. Engine light stayed on for the next three key turns. And now its not coming on. Calling the dealer tomorrow to get it looked at. Hopefully the other 2020 Dukes don't have the issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Over heating issue started on day 3 of riding in 68F weather. So I put her up in the garage and idled the engine and sure enough the fan is not turning on
Rode mine last week in 90 degree weather, stop and go city traffic. No overheating, fan did come on at lights a few times, but as soon as I got up to 45mph, it would drop a bar or two. So for me good luck.

Front wheel is crazy out of balance though. Going to the dealer tomorrow to get it balanced. Hope it works. Wheel has weights on it... Don’t know if that was from the factory or the dealer. Will find out tomorrow afternoon.

Buying some accessories while I’m there waiting for the wheel balance.

Handguards for cold weather riding. Bar end mirrors. Baggage carrier.

Absolutely loving this bike so far!

21 - 28 of 28 Posts