KTM Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wgeorge1376 - I also have roughly 1200 miles on my 2022 1290 SAR with the stock AX41 tires. Mostly asphalt so far and have about 50% left. I just did a 200+ mile interstate ride doing 75mph and they are loud and get louder as they wear. Make sure to use ear plugs. I also replaced the stock windscreen with a Puig Touring Plus. I'm 6'2" and it was a significant improvement. I'm doing an Iron Butt ride late July and will be swapping out the AX41's for Dunlop Mission TrailMax's tmrw.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Wgeorge1376 - I also have roughly 1200 miles on my 2022 1290 SAR with the stock AX41 tires. Mostly asphalt so far and have about 50% left. I just did a 200+ mile interstate ride doing 75mph and they are loud and get louder as they wear. Make sure to use ear plugs. I also replaced the stock windscreen with a Puig Touring Plus. I'm 6'2" and it was a significant improvement. I'm doing an Iron Butt ride late July and will be swapping out the AX41's for Dunlop Mission TrailMax's tmrw.
Very helpful info! Thank you

·
Registered
16 Posts
Already 9000+ km’s
fuelconsumption @ touringspeed 1L/20km
no lube oil topped up
Best bike i ever owned!
every ride gives a big smile, now keep moving and waiting for the mitas to wear over 70%, than change for these Bridgestone‘s

·
Registered
2022 KTM SAS, 2021 890 Adventure, 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally, 1984 Honda V45 Sabre, HD PA
11 Posts
This was an informative thread for me, particularly the heat issues with the 2019 SAR. My local dealer has both the used 2019 SAR and a new 2022 SAS. I was considering the SAR but now I have another option, as posted on another thread: Conflicted... I have a change to buy either a brand new 2022 SAS or a used 2022 SAR with only 1900 miles. I was looking for the SAS but since I do go camping off-road and now just ride a CRF300L Rally offroad, the SAR is tempting. Comments are greatly appreciated. At 59, I have about 600,000 riding miles behind me, mostly touring and commuting and many forest roads in NM and Colorado for camping. I think at 5' 9", both will be adequate, with me stretching. Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Seabumb: the new 1290s are awesome, I ride the 2022 1290sar, my friend has the 1290sas, we both love theses bikes. This is a tough one, the only thing I can suggest is to test ride each. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
16 Posts
cr

I love my 2019 sar. I'm working on the heat issue that I have . Wrapped rear down pipe and just installed Rottweiler stage whatever (no power commander). The new intake works awesome...the bike really romps. At first I was looking for a sas, but couldn't find any around. My sar came up for sale used, 7500 miles and already had SC Project muffler installed, Scott stabilizer, BRP risers, and a few other goodies. I think it's a machine that can do everything!

·
Registered
2022 KTM SAS, 2021 890 Adventure, 2021 Honda CRF300L Rally, 1984 Honda V45 Sabre, HD PA
11 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I am leaning towards the SAS. If only I could buy both.... wait, why? Oh, right, to have a second for my brother to ride on the rare visits?

·
Registered
43 Posts
@seabumb if it was me, I would go with the slightly used 2022, KTM 1290 Super Adventure R. You won’t have to buy the engine guards and you get the full manual suspension adjustments. As long as you know how to ‘count clicks’, I think you have better adjustability with the manual suspension vs. the electronic dampening and limited to around 3 modes. You also have less electronics to go wrong on the trails. The only benefit in my opinion with the SAS is the adaptive cruise control that you get with the SAS, which I find just as easy to control with the +/- button with your left hand and keeps you engaged in the road, rather than oblivious on the road and let the speed auto adjust for you.
I also personally like the color way of the SAR vs the SAS, so that is obviously personal.
For me, taking all that into account, the fact that the first service is done and that you are able to get a discount on the SAR vs. the SAS my choice would be the SAR.
Either way, you can’t go wrong, but I personally would rather go without the electronic dampening and adaptive cruise control for the benefit of reliability of manually adjustable springs/shocks and the reduced weight/failure point of the new adaptive cruise control unit + potentially better value with the reduced price.
Be happy, you have a choice of two winners! Many don’t even have the option to choose one, yet alone their choice of both and one of those at a discounted price that still carries the warranty!
Let us know how you make out and what you choose!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I arrived at the dealership this morning and they sold the SAR via the Internet before they opened. I drove traveled two hours to get there, suffered a car wreck on the way, so was a bit frustrated since I told them yesterday I would be there when they opened.

I then went to get my Pan America, which suffers from repeated electrical issues, only to have it pulled out of the shop, where it had been for 18 days, with a check engine code. They told me not to worry about if. I told them to check it. They did, then phoned HD HQ to be told this is a known issue that could be one oc several things, and could take four hours or four days to sort out. Issues like these are why I was shopping for the SAS of SAR.

So, in frustration, I phoned another KTM dealer who had previously emailed me a quote on a SAS, told them to get it ready, I was wiring them the money and would be there in two hours.

It was, mostly, ready when I got there. I bought the Tech Package but not sure it was fully installed or if I am just stupid, because I could not get the cruise control to turn on and did not see it in the menus (my 890 has a sub-menu to turn cruise on or off).

Long story, but answering your question, I started out the morning intending to buy the SAR, knee-jerked and bought the SAS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I arrived at the dealership this morning and they sold the SAR via the Internet before they opened. I drove traveled two hours to get there, suffered a car wreck on the way, so was a bit frustrated since I told them yesterday I would be there when they opened.

I then went to get my Pan America, which suffers from repeated electrical issues, only to have it pulled out of the shop, where it had been for 18 days, with a check engine code. They told me not to worry about if. I told them to check it. They did, then phoned HD HQ to be told this is a known issue that could be one oc several things, and could take four hours or four days to sort out. Issues like these are why I was shopping for the SAS of SAR.

So, in frustration, I phoned another KTM dealer who had previously emailed me a quote on a SAS, told them to get it ready, I was wiring them the money and would be there in two hours.

It was, mostly, ready when I got there. I bought the Tech Package but not sure it was fully installed or if I am just stupid, because I could not get the cruise control to turn on and did not see it in the menus (my 890 has a sub-menu to turn cruise on or off).

Long story, but answering your question, I started out the morning intending to buy the SAR, knee-jerked and bought the SAS.
So how do you like the SAS after several months. Do you regret not getting the SAR?

·
Registered
11 Posts
So how do you like the SAS after several months. Do you regret not getting the SAR?
It has only been several days. Regrets, well, if I could have found a SAR, I would have bought it. And as my luck has it, another used SAR came on the market almost immediately after I bought the SAS. I have already put 600 miles on it and have a lot of opinions, which I will share in a new thread, so as not to hijack this thread. Because of the varied styles of riding and trips I take, I was very, very seriously considering buying the SAR as well. I am an addict....

·
Registered
11 Posts
It has only been several days. Regrets, well, if I could have found a SAR, I would have bought it. And as my luck has it, another used SAR came on the market almost immediately after I bought the SAS. I have already put 600 miles on it and have a lot of opinions, which I will share in a new thread, so as not to hijack this thread. Because of the varied styles of riding and trips I take, I was very, very seriously considering buying the SAR as well. I am an addict....
when you do create the new thread, will you let me know where it is??? I am considering both the SAS or SAR. Currently have BMW K1600GT and S1000XR

·
Registered
11 Posts
when you do create the new thread, will you let me know where it is??? I am considering both the SAS or SAR. Currently have BMW K1600GT and S1000XR
Yes, sir. I am planning a long trip this week to the Pig Trails in Arkansas and if I go, I will write a better review after the trip. I am bit overworked this week so am not sure if I will make the trip. I did take the SAS through some twisties here in Texas (not a lot but enough to get a feel for the bike and to also add some miles for the first service). I have a break-in route I have used for many bikes, from H-D to small Hondas, which has twisties, dirt roads, highways, etc. to learn a new bike. The SAS was much nicer that my 890 but, honestly, I felt the HD Pan America was smoother, more comfortable and more nimble on this route (too bad all those HD electrical issues!). I am only 5-9, and was expecting the SAS to be a bit tall for me but in reality, I was a bit uncomfortable on it as the knee angle was odd. I had already ordered a low seat but now realize that was a mistake. I will change it to the normal Comfort seat. I have also ordered a seat cover from Tappezzeria to put on the stock seat. I am not sure how else to fix this knee angle. I will also have to get risers, not because I am tall but because the bar angle is just awkward for me and my right wrist was aching after just a few hours - I have never experienced this on any of my previous bikes and no amount of adjustments could fix the issue. The power of the bike is nice. The cornering is nice. I could care less about Adaptive Cruise Control as I feel it may allow a rider to become complacent, but I did test it and it did work (I had an issue bringing the bike home not realizing it was in offroad mode, so no ABS and no cruise, through rain on the interstate in stop and go traffic, so I was 'old school cool' without the tech, like an idiot!). Like all KTMs, the bike vibrates from the engine. I do not mind.

I have read a lot about wind buffeting but I was pleasantly surprised at how quiet and how little wind I experience. The only wind issues was in wide open areas, on the Interstate, riding at about 75mph, and for some reason I had wind coming up from between the tank and my chest, lifting my helmet. It was odd and yet another thing never experienced before. It was not an issue, just strange to me. I would say the HD and the SAS have about the same wind protection with the SAS actually being a bit quieter and smoother.

The biggest issues I had with the SAS, which would be the same for the SAR, are the left hand buttons and the instrument screen. On the controls, as many people have commented, the new turn signal switch is just terrible. The switch on the 890 is nice, works and could have easily been used for the SAS/SAR. I have a lot of trouble canceling the signal. I know, it will cancel itself after 10 seconds, or something like that, but when lane changing, I want that signal canceled immediately so as not to confuse heavy traffic. Sadly, I was only able to cancel the signal about 25% of the time with the remaining being a distraction in frustration. The instrument screen is very crisp and easy to read. The issue is the angle. Even trying all three tilt settings, the screen is always reflecting light into my face if the sun is overhead or behind me. It was literally blinding sometimes and I had to sit oddly to avoid the light. I was also not able to see the screen for well over 60% of my riding, which means not knowing the speed, which is just not acceptable. Maybe it is just because of my shorter height, but I feel this is a major design issue. I have already ordered an anti-glare screen protector and when I get my GPS mount, which uses the same backing bracket for the TFT, I will see if I can put some rubber spacers behind the screen to create a better angle.

As for comparing the SAS and SAR, the issues I have would be the same for either. I do not know your height, but if you are riding the K1600GT, I do not think this will be an issue. I do enough off road riding that I feel the SAR would have been better but I also do more on road (70-30?). I have already ordered wire wheels. The electronic suspension is nice but there is a LOT of variables with it and I am old-school, so feel wrenching a few clicks on the springs is not a bad thing and more my style. That being said, the electronic suspension on the HD Pan America is very, very nice and much better that the SAS, in my opinion. Now, I only have a fraction of the time on the SAS as the HDPA, so that opinion may change with experience in adjusting settings. Do I think this is justification to get the SAS over the SAR, no, not at all. It is just a nice luxury and also another failure point (not that it will fail).

I guess, as others in this thread have said, it comes down to riding style. If you are planning a BDR, maybe the SAR is better. If you are only going to be on forest roads offroad or only on paved roads, the SAS makes more sense. For me, I just jerked my knee, frustrated that the HD PA was back in the shop when I had a trip to Arkansas planned. The SAS was available, close, and ready to go from a dealership I trust (Mainland Cycle Center, La Marque, Texas - Michael has sold me two motorcycles now, only via email, without any hassles and very easily), so I reacted and bought it. If I had known another used 2022 SAR would come available within 24 hours, yes, I would have waited and bought it. As I said, I was seriously considering buying it, anyway, and probably would have if I had buyers for my HD PA and KTM 890 (both for sale). I rode the HD PA from Farmington, NM to El Paso, TX, diagonally, primarily only on dirt roads, forest roads, 4x4 roads, etc., and it handled very well, despite the stock tires which are road biased. I have full confidence the SAS, with proper spoke wheels, would be able to equal or match the comfort and confidence I had on the HD PA along the same route, which also covered a great deal of the NMBDR route. I had cameras with me but because of electrical issues with the Pan America, I could not charge anything so all my stuff was dead within hours, including my phone. Luckily, being from NM, I know those roads and trails pretty well and was not concerned about GPS or maps (okay, I did manage to take one weird route that landed me into single-track, which I decided to backtrack and avoid).

I apologize for over-writing on the SAR thread, but I did feel CDESJAR deserved a better response that, "I will write more later..." since he is shopping now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Do a youtube search for, "how to adjust the TFT screen on your SAS". That might help with the glare, but it does require two hands. I almost bought a used SAS but just couldn't pull the trigger. Reliability issues scare me, and a couple people warned me about KTM's. But I still want one because I keep reading about that motor. Can't find anywhere to test ride one but BMW I can test ride anything. I am kind of torn between a KTM and 1250 GS which I was able to test ride. The GS is not slow by any means! I may just wait to see if they release a 2023 KTM 1290 touring model.
between the SAS and SAR, I really like the look of the SAR better, but have to admit I don't ride off road. Maybe I would if I bought an SAR? Between my K1600GT and My S1000XR, I ALWAYS want to ride the XR over the GT. XR sits way higher and I am only 5'7" but dont have any problem because it is so much lighter than I am used to. And the XR is alot more nimble and faster.

Now I am rambling. Any thoughts on reliability with KTM bikes? Have you heard anything of the 1290 touring model coming back to America in 2023? How much are you selling the KTM 890 for? Have any pictures?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been watching to see if the 1290 T returns but I am not hopeful. Yes, the XR is a nice bike but I have never ridden one. I have ridden the GSA and I felt it was huge. KTM reliability, well, are you going out of the USA or Canada? I think they are just as reliable as any other motorcycle but the dealer network does not seem to be great in many countries (only going by what I read). I had no issues at all with my KTM 890. I know other people that have had no issues (major) with their KTMs. I put over 200,000 miles on my Honda Sabre, a few valve adjustments, shaft gears and that was it. I lube the chains on my chain motorcycles regularly. My HD Road King had a mess of issues with the transmission. I ended up replacing it with a Screaming Eagle and the issues disappeared (at a premium expense). So, to answer your question, any motorcycle can have issues, any can last as long as you keep it. I would not worry about reliability as much as I would "how good is my dealer and the network where I might be traveling." I really like the KTM dealer I buy from, although they are 120 miles from me. The closest may be good but they specialize in dirt bikes and Side-by-Sides so I have never visited them.

Since I jumped away from my HD Pan America because of reliability issues, onto another KTM, I guess I trust them. Would I have bought a GSA, possibly, if I could have found one. I also looked at the Africa Twin Adventure Sports, but there where none to be found within a reasonable distance of me and even those 200 or 300 miles away, I could not find anyone who would let me test ride it. You are right that it is easier to test ride the BMWs than anything else, from my experience, but that is probably just as much as the dealer network.

As many on this thread told me, the SAR is a great bike and loved by those who own in and go off road or not. For me, I think it would have been a better fit, but I am not complaining. The SAS will suite me and my plans for the rest of this year. Who knows, maybe I will ride it as long as I have ridden the V45 Sabre, but only if I can find a seat solution! I have a trip planned to Maine and another to Colorado, neither require off road, but, I love the trails, so who knows what will happen. As for my NMBDR plans, that will be on the little CFR300L Rally which I have really tinkered into a climbing machine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
cr

I love my 2019 sar. I'm working on the heat issue that I have . Wrapped rear down pipe and just installed Rottweiler stage whatever (no power commander). The new intake works awesome...the bike really romps. At first I was looking for a sas, but couldn't find any around. My sar came up for sale used, 7500 miles and already had SC Project muffler installed, Scott stabilizer, BRP risers, and a few other goodies. I think it's a machine that can do everything!
That is a very nice looking SAR, the bag looks very good for most traveling. There is a 2019 SAR for sale at the dealership I use. They are asking $15500, I think. It looks like a pretty good deal, with only 1990 miles and aluminum panniers, gps, and I think after market exhaust. You (and the other reports I have read) scared me about the heat issues but I keep thinking, "why ride the Honda across NM? Why buy new wheels and tires for the SAS? Armacc has reduced his heat issues..."

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is a very nice looking SAR, the bag looks very good for most traveling. There is a 2019 SAR for sale at the dealership I use. They are asking $15500, I think. It looks like a pretty good deal, with only 1990 miles and aluminum panniers, gps, and I think after market exhaust. You (and the other reports I have read) scared me about the heat issues but I keep thinking, "why ride the Honda across NM? Why buy new wheels and tires for the SAS? Armacc has reduced his heat issues..."
I am going to look at a 2020 SAR here in St Pete, FL. 5500 miles asking price 16,500. How would the SAR do on a long road trip mostly backroad twisties and occasional interstates to make up lost time?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have been watching to see if the 1290 T returns but I am not hopeful. Yes, the XR is a nice bike but I have never ridden one. I have ridden the GSA and I felt it was huge. KTM reliability, well, are you going out of the USA or Canada? I think they are just as reliable as any other motorcycle but the dealer network does not seem to be great in many countries (only going by what I read). I had no issues at all with my KTM 890. I know other people that have had no issues (major) with their KTMs. I put over 200,000 miles on my Honda Sabre, a few valve adjustments, shaft gears and that was it. I lube the chains on my chain motorcycles regularly. My HD Road King had a mess of issues with the transmission. I ended up replacing it with a Screaming Eagle and the issues disappeared (at a premium expense). So, to answer your question, any motorcycle can have issues, any can last as long as you keep it. I would not worry about reliability as much as I would "how good is my dealer and the network where I might be traveling." I really like the KTM dealer I buy from, although they are 120 miles from me. The closest may be good but they specialize in dirt bikes and Side-by-Sides so I have never visited them.

Since I jumped away from my HD Pan America because of reliability issues, onto another KTM, I guess I trust them. Would I have bought a GSA, possibly, if I could have found one. I also looked at the Africa Twin Adventure Sports, but there where none to be found within a reasonable distance of me and even those 200 or 300 miles away, I could not find anyone who would let me test ride it. You are right that it is easier to test ride the BMWs than anything else, from my experience, but that is probably just as much as the dealer network.

As many on this thread told me, the SAR is a great bike and loved by those who own in and go off road or not. For me, I think it would have been a better fit, but I am not complaining. The SAS will suite me and my plans for the rest of this year. Who knows, maybe I will ride it as long as I have ridden the V45 Sabre, but only if I can find a seat solution! I have a trip planned to Maine and another to Colorado, neither require off road, but, I love the trails, so who knows what will happen. As for my NMBDR plans, that will be on the little CFR300L Rally which I have really tinkered into a climbing machine.
I was referring to the Super Duke GT tourer. (couldn't remember the name of it) not the 1290 T. Any idea if the SAS and SAR are tuned any different? I really like the torque on a bike!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I know this, owning just one motorcycle is a problem, for me one bike can never be the ultimate machine, wanting that bike to perform at the best level of performance in all categories from street to off-road is impossible, that’s why I own several different motorcycles. That being said my 2022 1290sar performance in most of these categories is dam awesome, as far as reliability, there has been several issues of failures for every motorcycle manufacturers more for some & less for others. So far my 1290sar has been trouble free for 6,000miles 💯👍👍👍👍

41 - 60 of 63 Posts