KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

Anyone know if this battery is compatible with the 1290 superduke R ?

I've had lots of problems starting my bike in the winter. I replaced the stock battery with a SSB-LH5L a while back, but it struggles probably worse than the original. I have since read that LI-ION batteries don't work too good in the cold, so I'm currently trying to find a suitable replacement- preferably one with oodles of CCA so I have some wiggle-room for those cold mornings.

The VTZ14S interests me the most as it has the highest CCA rating (340) while not exceeding the dimensions of the OEM battery. Is there any reason why this battery wouldn't work ?

Edit: Apologies the correct model was VTZ14S- Updated title.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Hi there,

Anyone know if this battery is compatible with the 1290 superduke R ?

I've had lots of problems starting my bike in the winter. I replaced the stock battery with a SSB-LH5L a while back, but it struggles probably worse than the original. I have since read that LI-ION batteries don't work too good in the cold, so I'm currently trying to find a suitable replacement- preferably one with oodles of CCA so I have some wiggle-room for those cold mornings.

The YTZ14S interests me the most as it has the highest CCA rating (340) while not exceeding the dimensions of the OEM battery. Is there any reason why this battery wouldn't work ?
Antigravity ATX12-HD-RS Lithium

THE BEST battery ever for the SDR ... cold weather or below freezing always spins that nasty motor up.... 480 CCA and it fits perfectly.
JUST GET IT and no more problems

on amazon only 233

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Antigravity ATX12-HD-RS Lithium

THE BEST battery ever for the SDR ... cold weather or below freezing always spins that nasty motor up.... 480 CCA and it fits perfectly.
JUST GET IT and no more problems

on amazon only 233
Oow! That looks snazzy. I am however a little dubious about buying another LI-ION battery as it seems they can't handle or don't recover well from power usage spikes and apparently LIO-ION batteries typically require that you wake the battery up before they give you even half of their CCA rating.

One other consideration is that I run heated grips, alarm and auxiliary USB port, all of which I assume contributed to the sudden and premature failings of that LH-5L. With that in mind, do you still think this battery would be better than a high power AGM ?

·
Registered
151 Posts
absolutely....
read the amzn reviews
mine spins the motor so fast always starts in micro second
also has a restart so never get stranded.

Make sure your charging circuit is proper and not running your batt down due to bad alternator or charging ckt

mine always indicates 13.5v when running..chk it

buy from amzn and 30 days to return it ...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
absolutely....
read the amzn reviews
mine spins the motor so fast always starts in micro second
also has a restart so never get stranded.

Make sure your charging circuit is proper and not running your batt down due to bad alternator or charging ckt

mine always indicates 13.5v when running..chk it

buy from amzn and 30 days to return it ...
Thanks Jimjames, I will certainly keep that option open. Though, if it can be helped, I'd prefer not to spend $400 if the much cheaper SSB will suffice. Just blew my wad on rego/insurance and license renewal so not exactly in the splurging mood right now lol.

Any word on whether that YTZ-14S will fit the SDR ? - I can't really think of any limitation beyond the physical size that would prevent that arrangement. Then again I'm not too savvy when it comes to these things.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Battery post positioning is the other thing to be careful of, some models they reverse the +’ve and -‘ve poles… check that before buying…

·
Registered
151 Posts
why are you saying $400?

main points to go AntiGravity

a. insanely powerful 480CCA
and no problms in freezing or cold (true of old tech maybe)

b. restart button so you will never need a jump.

c. 7 to 8 pounds lighter which lowers the SDR's CG and improves handling as well as power to weight. (small fuel savings.h

d. same dimensions as oem yuasa

e. if you do drop the bike, no lead acid spill

not expensive when you cosider the above

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Battery post positioning is the other thing to be careful of, some models they reverse the +’ve and -‘ve poles… check that before buying…
Oh wow! Right you are sir. The positioning is indeed inverse of the existing battery.

I'm now wondering what sort of implications I should expect from this ol' switcheroo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
why are you saying $400?

main points to go AntiGravity

a. insanely powerful 480CCA
and no problms in freezing or cold (true of old tech maybe)

b. restart button so you will never need a jump.

c. 7 to 8 pounds lighter which lowers the SDR's CG and improves handling as well as power to weight. (small fuel savings.h

d. same dimensions as oem yuasa

e. if you do drop the bike, no lead acid spill

not expensive when you cosider the above
I'm not disputing the opulence of the Antigravity. But it is $400aud over here, which is a little out of my price range. I was hoping to nab the SSB for a quarter of the price if possible.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I had a look at the battery compartment and it appears that the cables are lax enough to where it shouldn't matter where the terminals are.

Provided that is the only discrepancy, I should be good to go. As a secondary measure, I have contacted the SSB distributor to see if there is something else that I am missing.

·
Registered
435 Posts
The only final thing to check, is it a wet battery? In which case it could leak and must be kept upright. AGM is good, it’s unlikely to be gel as these are usually more expensive and last longer and handle deep discharge better.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The only final thing to check, is it a wet battery? In which case it could leak and must be kept upright. AGM is good, it’s unlikely to be gel as these are usually more expensive and last longer and handle deep discharge better.
Thanks Trebor. Yeah, it's a drycell so we are looking good on that front. I'm guessing the reason it's not marketed for certain models relates more to the terminal position than anything else.

I botched the model name in the title but edited it. It's the VTZ14-S not YTZ14-S. Here is a link to it for anyone who cares to check it: Vspec Batteries - A1 Accessory Imports (vspecbattery.com.au) It's the last one on the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts