KTM Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I rode home from work yesterday. My 2020 SDR is almost brand new and I haven't done many miles on it. I rode on normal country roads at pretty high speeds (around 140-150 kph) and I felt like my head would fall off.

Now, I know buying the SDR would mean no wind protection, so it's not a surprise to me, but this was the first time I felt like the speed made my neck really hurt.

So to all of you who have added a windshield to your SDR, has it helped? Do you need to go big or can you do fine with the smaller powerparts Flyscreen?

I feel like adding a screen would ruin the looks of the bike, but I'd rather have a screen and keep riding fast instead of having no screen and nog being able to ride due to neck pain.

Skickat från min SM-G986B via Tapatalk

·
Registered
53 Posts
any will help... the height and how forward (away from your head) it is will matter most.

Heres an outline of a 2006 cbr1000rr, 2016 gsxs1000 and the 2020 ktm SDR.

you can see that the super sport bikes like the cbr1000rr have low handlebars with a windshield thats far forward thus creating a buffer for your head
to get the same protection youd need about the same distance forward (which you cant get on the KTM since youre sitting higher and more forward, so therefore youd need a windshield thats tall(ish) and more upright.

this is the best option i have found, design and function. Note, youd have to bend the center mount to create a steeper slope (more upright position) for the windshield.

gsxs1000 - ktm super duke 1290 r 2020 - cbr1000rr - size line heighlights.jpg

these are the reference lines on the ktm

·
Registered
53 Posts
also ive read that the stock mirrors cause buffeting to your head exasperating neck strain. Ill be replacing those for bar end / or handguard mirrors

·
Registered
51 Posts
When it comes to wind on a motorcycle, there are no universal solutions. You're height (actually torso length) is a major factor as is the helmet you wear. I have found on naked or half faired bikes, the key is not to prevent the air from hitting you, but rather to make it hit you where it is the least annoying and to keep the air clean. Turbulent air is noisy and more noticeably physically. A short screen that directs clean air at your chest is often the best solution.

Of course unless you install an ugly barn door, some air will always pass over/around your helmet. Therefore, the design of your helmet matters as does your forward lean angle, which is based upon the reach to the bars.

The challenge with a formula that includes so many variables (torso length, shield height, shield shape, helmet shape, riding position (based upon bar height, etc.) is that you can really only find out through trial and error. I would suggest trying the fly screen. Then when you ride, position your head in different locations. Thus way you should be able to tell if changing bar position or a taller screen will help. It can cost money to work it all out, but the good news is most parts you buy will be desirable to someone else, so you can recoup some of your costs by selling a part that doesn't work. You can also start by looking for used parts from someone who tried something and didn't like it and save money up front.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When it comes to wind on a motorcycle, there are no universal solutions. You're height (actually torso length) is a major factor as is the helmet you wear. I have found on naked or half faired bikes, the key is not to prevent the air from hitting you, but rather to make it hit you where it is the least annoying and to keep the air clean. Turbulent air is noisy and more noticeably physically. A short screen that directs clean air at your chest is often the best solution.

Of course unless you install an ugly barn door, some air will always pass over/around your helmet. Therefore, the design of your helmet matters as does your forward lean angle, which is based upon the reach to the bars.

The challenge with a formula that includes so many variables (torso length, shield height, shield shape, helmet shape, riding position (based upon bar height, etc.) is that you can really only find out through trial and error. I would suggest trying the fly screen. Then when you ride, position your head in different locations. Thus way you should be able to tell if changing bar position or a taller screen will help. It can cost money to work it all out, but the good news is most parts you buy will be desirable to someone else, so you can recoup some of your costs by selling a part that doesn't work. You can also start by looking for used parts from someone who tried something and didn't like it and save money up front.
I get that there are no universal solutions. I just would like to know if any of you have felt a better riding experience from mounting a shield on your SDR. The funny thing is I recently rode some highway a couple of miles or so with moderately high speeds and I never felt like my neck hurt. Could it be how I wore my helmet? I may give the flyscreen a chance sooner or later. That one looks cool and may help a little bit. But as far as big shields go I may say no to those. They ruin the good looks of the bike IMHO.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have the fly screen. It is good. I am lucky in that I get no buffeting....just smooth air.

it depends very much on your helmet and jacket as well.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the fly screen. It is good. I am lucky in that I get no buffeting....just smooth air.

it depends very much on your helmet and jacket as well.....
Sound great. I'm just curious as to how the choice of jacket can affect the buffeting. The wind coming straight for my head could hardly be altered by my jacket, can it?

·
Registered
344 Posts
The KTM Powerparts windscreen makes a very nice desk ornament! Didn’t even wheel the bike out the garage before I took it off again. Makes the bike look like a Vespa! Ha ha ha! Just kidding!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sound great. I'm just curious as to how the choice of jacket can affect the buffeting. The wind coming straight for my head could hardly be altered by my jacket, can it?

Sometimes the airflow hits the jacket and is deflected up into your helmet...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sometimes the airflow hits the jacket and is deflected up into your helmet...
I did go from textile to leather from the previous ride to this one. Maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
When I ride in textile gear (cold weather), it “grabs” more air vs. the leathers.

I am about 6’ 2” and fat. The power parts screen is worse for me than no screen riding on the street. I use a larger screen for the track (the smaller powerbronze). It’s slightly taller that the bike dash, which is enough to kick the wind blast over my helmet when I am in full tuck. This gives me a fighting chance to see well enough when over 145 mph. At the top of 4th and 5th, with no screen, the buffeting is enough to affect my vision.

The combination of the power parts screen and handguards is really bad for me at highway speeds. I took off the power parts screen and it was a bit better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When I ride in textile gear (cold weather), it “grabs” more air vs. the leathers.

I am about 6’ 2” and fat. The power parts screen is worse for me than no screen riding on the street. I use a larger screen for the track (the smaller powerbronze). It’s slightly taller that the bike dash, which is enough to kick the wind blast over my helmet when I am in full tuck. This gives me a fighting chance to see well enough when over 145 mph. At the top of 4th and 5th, with no screen, the buffeting is enough to affect my vision.

The combination of the power parts screen and handguards is really bad for me at highway speeds. I took off the power parts screen and it was a bit better.
You mean "grab" as in it doesn't deflect as much and doesn't travel to your head?

I need to see what big screens look like on the superduke because it really seems like it ruins the clean naked look the bike has

·
Registered
52 Posts
I meant the textile gear grabs more air and causes greater shoulder and neck fatigue. Touring jackets and pants tend to have more surface area than leathers. And all those extra pockets don‘t help either...

As far as the screen ruining the lines goes, on track I don’t care if it ruins the look. Blowing a brake marker in 5th because I can’t see well enough can ruin everything ;).

·
Registered
331 Posts
Concept S2 make a great small screen for the 2020 1290R, it really suits the bike, and it works in that it takes some of the load off your body, but you still get smooth air flow around your helmet. 140km cruising no problem.i have a tall screen on my Multistrada, on its low position i get horrid buffeting, and with it fully up its better, but have to look through the screen to see the road. Small screens are better in that they don't create as much buffeting.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Looks awesome! Those I've seen from Puig are quite tall and straight. Yours seem more bent and a bit racier. Maybe I'll put in an order on one
p
Skickat fron min SM-G986B via Tapatalk
There is scope in the brackets to bend them a little to steepen the screen. I did this on mine, then i switched bikes with my mates 1290R with same screen (he copied me, a type of flattery) his felt better on the stock lower angle, as mine channelled air a little higher. I flattened mine after riding his. We both agreed his worked better at stock setup. They look better in the flesh on the bike than by a photo. Mine gets lots of good comments.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the MRA windscreen on mine and it made a world of difference when riding on the freeway with a headwind. Don't know if they have one for the 2020 yet though.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts