KTM Forums banner

Wire harness issue Freeride 350

5K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Norbert 
#1 ·
Dear Forum Members,

I have got an issue. Please help.
The thing is, that I have KTM Freeride 350 4t 2016.
After a ride in a dirt, I have discovered, that the front light bulb is burned. The reason was that water got inside a wire connector (4 pin) located under the fuel tank. The connector should not let water in..

I have cut it off and started replacing it with new. But...

I have discovered, that turning lights which I wanted to install are to be connected to that connector from both sides (so i connect the turning lights into the harness).

The issue is that I do not know which cables should be connected. It is because the connector was square (2x2 pins) and not straight 4.

PLEASE, can any one share with me photos of that original connector from both sides so I can see which cables (of which colour) connect to each other?

Much appreciated

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Hello Augie!

Thans for your reply.

You understand it right. ;)
It looks for a very "bright" idea what you've wrote ;)! I am a welder, not electrician, so all this electric stuff scares me a little because I do not want to have anything burned, but as I understand, if I do anything wrong, then the test bulb will just burn, not the whole electric installation?

I will try to perform such test this weekend ;)

I have established that for 99% the KTM 250 has thesame installation as the 350.
Not certain if the US model differs from EU, but I saw at sicassracing, that they have the wiring harness only for the 250 US models, so there might be some difference afterall ;(

I will let u know what I have established.

Also if any one have the wireing diagram for this KTM FREERIDE, please let m3 know!
Best regards!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Hi, so I got this harness with my bike. The guy who sold the bike had this, but never plugged it. But, the harness for indicators (looks like those from sicass), had different plugs (the shape is similar but does not fit the bike plugs, so I couldnt plug it anyways). Dont know, cant be sure if I have those plugs OEM in the bike or the guy had it changed for some reason). So thats why I need a photo of original plug from someone who has this Freeride with the cable colours.
I will try to make this "bulb" test today anyways, but not sure if it works, because I am not too much of electrician.

IF ANY ONE COULD SEND ME THIS PHOTOS I WOULD BE SO GREATFUL! ;)

Discussion starter · #6 ·
Hi, so I got this harness with my bike. The guy who sold the bike had this, but never plugged it. But, the harness (looks like those from sicass), had different plugs (the shape is similar but does not fit, so I had to cut them anyways.

Next weekend I will send photos how I resolved this whole issue ;)

Discussion starter · #7 ·
Guys, I did it!
I freakin did it. It sounds so easy - connect the blinkers. But it was a hell of a fight for me. It is mainly because of very tight fitting of all the components and wires on the bike. But it is not that complicated as I have thought at the beggining.

For any of you concerned about the installation of blinkers turn signals in KTM Freeride I write below some tips:

1. Wire harness for blinkers which you can buy from sicass racing and probably other sites FITS WITHOUT ANY PLUG MODIFICATIONS. The plugs on the bike I thought I should connect to at the first approach, were not the ones I was looking for (post above). In my case I had to change those sockets because water got inside and burned my front light bulb. Thats why I thought I should connect there, but it was a wrong assumption. Those were the wires responsible for whole electricity in the bike - 3 yellow wires in one plug - coming from the stator and 4 different colour wires going from fuse box (?) to front light. All of those are to find on the right side of the bike just under the tank. Nevertheless, I had to fix those with replacing them with new hermetic ones. That went well. But long.
2. The plug where you want to connect the new harness is hidden very deep under the seat, under the computer and fuse box. Its a white transparent four pin connection.
3. You need to take out the tank to proceed with the whole work - that is the most demanding objective. I am not sure if it is possible to do everything without taking out the tank, but surely it will allow you to properly lay the wiring for the front blinkers. The difficult part is that you need to deattach the rubber tube going from tank to air intake. It is stuck due to heat deformation after a time. I used some plastic bars which I use for the car interrior dissasembly. DO NOT USE ANY METAL SREWDRIVERS AND SUCH!
To ease the rubber you may youse silicone lube in spray on it. Just a little.
4. To fit the wiring in the back of the motorbike, you need to follow the cable going from fuse box to Back Stop Light. There is plenty of space to hide everything the way no cables are visible.
5. To fit the wiring from fuse box to Front Light - simply follow the wires going from fuse box to Front Light - sounds simple but its tricky. Take your time finding the way. IT IS POSSIBLE TO FIT ALL THE PLUGHS THROUGH OEM HOLES in the motorbike body for harness. So starting from the fuse box where you connect your new harness go beneth, there is the hole for putting through your wires. I have used a ducktape to cover the plugs for the whole prosecc of fitting them through holes.
6. You need to drill holes for the Back Blinkers (flashing lights).
7. There is a special socket on the side of the moto digital speedometer on the front to attach your turn signal indicator. You just unplug the socket (there is a plastic plug in there - just pop it out).

If there are any questions or a need for advice - write me without hesitation.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.