KTM Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
When decelerating from speeds around 80KM/h the steering wheel starts wobbling when you dont hold it. KTM says this is normal. Anybody else has this problem or has a solution?
What bike do you have? I have this same issue on my 2016 Super Duke GT. People say it's fine, but it never used to do it until recently. The bars won't wobble while my hands are on the grips, but if I take them off, they definitely wobble back and forth. Not enough to lose control, but more than I feel they should.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the exact same issue which was 90% cured by re-balancing the tires. It started after fitting road 5 trails so either the batch was not good or initial balancing was not efficient enough.

I added afterwards a hyperpro stabilizer for extra safety (mainly for high speeds) and it seems it cured the remaining 10% of low speed wobbles. Now bike is on rails in both low and high speed.

·
Registered
106 Posts
It's fairly common. Depends on a few factors, such as tires, but also load setting and how much luggage you have, and I would bet the damping setting you're on as well.

I don't recall experiencing it when the bike was new with stock tires. The first time I experienced it I had the steering head bearings checked it freaked me out so much... but you get used to it.

I have a scott damper and it still does it.

·
Registered
2020 390 Adventure
3 Posts
Common, if you keep both hands on the bars you won’t have a problem. You also won’t have a delayed response time to… a darting deer, rabbit, inattentive driver or other unseen obstacles. Hopefully you don’t drive a car with both hands off the steering wheel. We expect cage drivers to be safe, not text, pay attention, have control of their vehicle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What bike do you have? I have this same issue on my 2016 Super Duke GT. People say it's fine, but it never used to do it until recently. The bars won't wobble while my hands are on the grips, but if I take them off, they definitely wobble back and forth. Not enough to lose control, but more than I feel they should.
I have a brand new SAS 1290 (January 2021, with also brand new tires.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Common, if you keep both hands on the bars you won’t have a problem. You also won’t have a delayed response time to… a darting deer, rabbit, inattentive driver or other unseen obstacles. Hopefully you don’t drive a car with both hands off the steering wheel. We expect cage drivers to be safe, not text, pay attention, have control of their vehicle.
I know, but every now and then I used to take off the hands at low speeds, just to stretch the arms. It was very scary to experience this especially sine I have been driving BMW GSA's for over a decade and never experienced this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the exact same issue which was 90% cured by re-balancing the tires. It started after fitting road 5 trails so either the batch was not good or initial balancing was not efficient enough.

I added afterwards a hyperpro stabilizer for extra safety (mainly for high speeds) and it seems it cured the remaining 10% of low speed wobbles. Now bike is on rails in both low and high speed.
Tires are new and balanced, but no improvement. KTM aknowledges the problem but has no solution. They say one is not supposed to take the hands off the steering wheel...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've got a similar issue in a different thread.

rotors and pads have been replaced twice after warping. Latest pads rotors have less than 1000kms on them.

steering bearings are all good to go.

Brand new wheel on there (trailmax mission) with less than 1000kms.

I put my buddy's 890R wheel on my bike and it runs buttery smooth. Put my wheel back on and the wobble returns. Frustrating but my friend didn't want to give me his wheel...

Looking at purchasing a new wheel to fix as it's driving me nuts and I'm not able to enjoy the bike.

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,458 Posts
Maybe there is a tiny discrepancy in balance? I have my wheels balanced with ceramic beads ... smooth as silk. To some this is controversial.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I've got a similar issue in a different thread.

rotors and pads have been replaced twice after warping. Latest pads rotors have less than 1000kms on them.

steering bearings are all good to go.

Brand new wheel on there (trailmax mission) with less than 1000kms.

I put my buddy's 890R wheel on my bike and it runs buttery smooth. Put my wheel back on and the wobble returns. Frustrating but my friend didn't want to give me his wheel...

Looking at purchasing a new wheel to fix as it's driving me nuts and I'm not able to enjoy the bike.
It is indeed a nightmare and takes away the pleasure of driving this bike. It is in my opinion a shame that KTM just refuses to help to solve this problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It is indeed a nightmare and takes away the pleasure of driving this bike. It is in my opinion a shame that KTM just refuses to help to solve this problem.
I don't know the SAS 1290 but a head shake from new in the standard non-loaded configuration would be unusual. When you say KTM, do you mean the factory or the dealer? If its the dealer it could be them fobbing you off.

Tyres and tyre pressures would be my first guess but if these are okay I would suss the head bearing tightness. The only other suggestion is the ride height F or R, or some imbalance in the suspension settings. If 'none of the above' applies string line the wheels to see if they are within specs.

·
Registered
562 Posts
1290 Super Adventure S owners' thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
The Sanitized Comic
1,458 Posts
I have had the wheel trued and balanced already twice with different dealers but without success. will ask them to perform what you did and hope it gets solved.
[/QUOT
well then I don't know what else there is except what @OldNDirty recommended? Careful here cuz another owner reported that his dealer assured him it wasn't the steering bearings ... so they didn't tighten them. Later it turned out that all he needed was tightened steering head bearings ... who knew?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts