KTM Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m going to the dealership in another state tomorrow to look at a Duke 890 R because my local KTM dealership says they most likely will not get an 890 this year due to the mess the whole world is in, if I end up buying the bike, it will be my first KTM, in all honesty for those of you who own a 790 or even better, the 890 R, are you completely satisfied with your purchase and the quality and reliability of the bike ?
if I don’t pull the trigger on this deal tomorrow, the likelihood of me getting the 890 later on is pretty slim, so I reaally need your input and your honest opinion/reviews.
Cheers. Rod.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think the reliability is tough to say on the 890 so far because they have only been around one month. I have 600 miles on mine so far and no problems. There is some oil showing up below the counter sprocket, but it's not clear of its an actual leak or if it's some kind of grease that was on the chain from the factory. Its going in for the break in service in a week or two and I'll have them check. I'm not worried about it, if it's a seal it will be covered and my dealer is great to work with. I have an 1190 Adventure with around 30k miles on it and no issues, so I have no problem with KTM. In fact the 1190 may be the best all around motorcycle I've ever owned. My Triumphs have had more issues over the years.

I've only done a short demo on the 790 so I might not be the best person to compare the two. I can tell you that I waited for the 790 and when it finally showed up with the non adjustable suspension, budget brakes and tires I was disappointed and knew there would be an R model eventually. I am a performance minded rider and would have went for the Street Triple RS if KTM didn't come out with an up-spec 790. I'm lucky in that I have a few bikes, so I just waited a couple more years until the 890 was available. If you just want to cruise around, maybe do some backroad riding and commuting, the 790 - especially with the current discounts - is a fine choice. But if you like to run at a spirited pace, like to play with suspension settings and plan on taking it to the track here and there, choosing the 890 is a no-brainer. The Brembos alone are worth the difference. The brakes are spectacular. As good as the old M50s on my dedicated track bike. Just my two cents, but feel free to hit me up if you have any specific questions. Good luck!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’m going to the dealership in another state tomorrow to look at a Duke 890 R because my local KTM dealership says they most likely will not get an 890 this year due to the mess the whole world is in, if I end up buying the bike, it will be my first KTM, in all honesty for those of you who own a 790 or even better, the 890 R, are you completely satisfied with your purchase and the quality and reliability of the bike ?
if I don’t pull the trigger on this deal tomorrow, the likelihood of me getting the 890 later on is pretty slim, so I reaally need your input and your honest opinion/reviews.
Cheers. Rod.
I have a 890R. I purchased it a few weeks ago and I’m still breaking it in. I have about 300 miles on and it should be ready for 600 mile service next week. I have not ridden the 790 but is have had 2 1290 SDR‘s . The 890R has met all my expectations it is very light and flickable. Great power for me I’m 5’ 10“ 200 lbs. I loved my 1290 but was not really using the horsepower. I do allot of mountain twisty riding and I can‘t use all that power. The 890 is great. It is quick in corners and blasts out of them. I’m not sure what you are looking for but if you want a light quick bike for mountains this the one. You will be right there with bigger bikes. The straights the 1290 would have a advantage.
I’m not missing my 1290 SDR. The 890 is pretty comfortable for long rides. I rode 250 miles last week and was not tired. Also if you Don’t want extra power there really good deals on 790‘s. The 890R is hard to beat.
If I had one gripe it would be that I would have like a hydraulic clutch. The cable one is great just a personal preference for me. Also the rear seat cover looks a bit cheap but works great. I may look for a carbon replacement
Best thing I noticed is the transmission is amazing. Super smooth. I have never ridden a bike that shifted this good.
I hope this helps. Only riding one will help you decide.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have a 2017 690 Duke that is an absolute blast for aggressive 150 mile rides, but stretching to 200-250m is a bit rough for my aging 6'1" frame...so seriously thinking of the 890R, just not sure if ergos are that much different? But I'm a sucker for upgrade in all-around performance - and a NEW toy! John San - I see you're from NJ, can you please share your good dealer? I bought the 690 from Hanover but never been back for svc. - I've used Dutchess Rec and they're OK. And there's MotoFit in Danbury, but ehh...Thanks

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have a friend who is about your height and just bought an 890R after riding mine. He says he is very comfortable on the bike and feels that he could do an all day ride with no problems. I am around 5'9" and find it extremely comfortable. Blows both my old Monster 1100EVO and V4 Tuono Factory out of the water in the comfort department. It's been a while since I've sat on a 690 Duke but I think the 890R is a bit more stretched out with slightly higher pegs, but very similar ergos. Now imagine the handling of your 690 with about 116HP and 70 ft.lbs torque...

I'm in Freehold NJ and purchased my 890R from Xtreme Machines in Millstone. They are very close by and have been using them for years. Their sales dept isn't the best, but I have had great support from their service guys over the years. Although they are a bit expensive their work has been solid. They don't have anymore 890s and don't know when they will be getting more, so my friend had to go down to DHY Motorsports in Deptford for his. I have no experience with them and never stepped foot in the dealership, but he was happy with their pricing and the attention he was given down there. I purchased my 1190 ADV from Hanover back in 2014 - my local dealer (Xtreme) did not have KTM at the time and Hanover was the closest. I was very happy with the deal they gave me and the service and support that followed, so no complaints with them at all. Let me know if there's anything else I can help you with.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks John - appreciate the good info! Also got a super good deal at Hanover, and with only 4,500 miles little need so far to bring to dealer. Main ride is 2014 R1200GSW with the Duke my 1/2 day hooligan ride and track day machine. (Also been eyeing up a 1090R as GS replacement - but with 48,000 on the GS not worth trading, runs like new and fits me like a glove.)

I'll make calls to the dealers mentioned and see what's shaking. Will let you know what I find Thanks again!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My new (600 miles) 890 Duke R did have a countershaft (output shaft) leak, expeditiously repaired under warranty by the fine fellows at Motorbikes Plus in Portsmouth New Hampshire.

The leak was quite pronounced, and it was clearly from the oil seal. The entire case below the shaft was covered in oil. I submit that if you have a leak, you will know it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Yep, it seems very common with these bikes and the 790. My dealer told me that the replacement seal is a different part number and has been redesigned. Mine wasn't leaking too bad, but it's been bone dry since replacing- about 700 miles so far.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Good to know there is a fix if I run into this issue. So far no leaks or puddles under my bike. Almost ready for the first service and so far so good. I enjoy the bike more every time I ride it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts